ID this part for a noob?

Hi folks, new member! Bought a 2015 FJ-09 in the fall & starting my spring prep already because I’m champing at the bit to ride it again. Took the seat off today to clean and noticed this block of rubber just sitting loose under the pillion seat. Anyone know what it is and where it belongs? Thanks!

3A469EFC-2F13-4C02-BFF4-C409E8786795.jpeg

17D1AD48-DD15-4993-B995-C2E2BE5DCBC9.jpeg

It is the chunk of rubber that one inserts to block the front (driver/rider) seat latch.  I removed mine and secured it in my Tracer GT parts box for the next owner who will also not use it👍

F89B40DD-5198-4E64-889B-DB890BEAEFD8.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

It's an anti-theft device.  It prevents someone with a coat hanger wire from flipping the lever that unlocks the seat.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

I purchased something in the FJ-09 classifieds from another member and they included these parts with some other bits and pieces. Someone tell me what they are.....

20220319_081450.jpg

• Supporting Member

@Heli ATP- Those are the original sliding mounts for the stock windscreen.   Odd thing to have lying around as spares…. They must have been replaced with an aftermarket screen that includes replacement mounting hardware.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, Mo Knows said:

Hi folks, new member! Bought a 2015 FJ-09 in the fall & starting my spring prep already because I’m champing at the bit to ride it again. Took the seat off today to clean and noticed this block of rubber just sitting loose under the pillion seat. Anyone know what it is and where it belongs? Thanks!

3A469EFC-2F13-4C02-BFF4-C409E8786795.jpeg

17D1AD48-DD15-4993-B995-C2E2BE5DCBC9.jpeg

Tip:  Screw a large wood screw into the center of the arrow.  It makes removing and replacing the piece much easier.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

@Heli ATP- Those are the original sliding mounts for the stock windscreen.   Odd thing to have lying around as spares…. They must have been replaced with an aftermarket screen that includes replacement mounting hardware.  

Thanks, purchased a seat from a guy and he sent me a bunch of stuff he had lying around. Appreciate it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, nhchris said:

Tip:  Screw a large wood screw into the center of the arrow.  It makes removing and replacing the piece much easier.

Good tip that. Well done.👍

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• Premium Member

It’s a rubber pain in the arse block. Designed specifically to annoy you. Especially if you have fingers larger than  pre-schooler. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

It’s a rubber pain in the arse block. Designed to specifically to annoy you. Especially if you have fingers larger than  pre-schooler. 

Agreed and I don't think anyone who threw it in the trash has any regret for doing so. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have in my possession a SECRET Yamaha document that details the real function of that rubber arrow thingy:  It is in fact a Seat Resonance Reduction Damper (SRRD)

It is designed to shift the frequency of the many and various vibrations emitted by the C3 triple they progress up the frame into the seat.  This is done to to reduce the well documented problem of Buzzy Butt experience by most owners / riders.

Discard this important safety device at your own risk (Note: Doing so might void the warranty in year 6.)

• Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09