Hows your insurance rate?

Here in Canada everything costs more. Weve had to get used to it over the years. However, when my policy renewal arrived in the mail I had to do a double take!   What was costing $700 last year for my "19 Tracer was suddenly $1451!! I have no claims and a clean record and am over 60 years old.  I called another broker and was quoted $1060 .   On a slow day at work - you have to wait on hold forever- I got through to another rep at the original carrier and asked for an explanation of the 100% increase. After a 15 minute hold he came back and said there had been an error and that the policy should be $680!  An $800 difference is a hell of an error!  He said the "computer " had made an error on their bike policies. Two weeks later the docs arrived. Glad I called to question the outrageous premium. I'll bet some clients have just sucked it up and sent payment.

• Thumbsup 3

Last March I paid £89 for my present fully comprehensive insurance policy. Our planned tour this year is over to Ireland so the quote I am looking for this March is to include European breakdown cover (I know it's a Tracer and is not likely let me down) but just for the peace of mind and I was quoted £194 for the combined cover. 

Edited by HGP61
mis-print

10 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I have maximum coverage on three motorcycles

FYI there is no such thing, also synonymous with "full coverage" which is also not an insurance term.

What you should be comparing are the limits on the coverage.
I run full replacement on one bike and acv on the other. with 500k/250k/100k limits. for around $620/yr.

1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

FYI there is no such thing, also synonymous with "full coverage" which is also not an insurance term.

What you should be comparing are the limits on the coverage.
I run full replacement on one bike and acv on the other. with 500k/250k/100k limits. for around $620/yr.

I think everyone can relate to what full coverage implies…which is the top limit of what can be purchased for all three bikes + I carry a supplemental umbrella policy.

• Supporting Member

I cheaped out and opted out of collision.  Year one was $110.  Last year $140-ish.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

6 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I think everyone can relate to what full coverage implies…which is the top limit of what can be purchased for all three bikes

Again no such thing, you can always pay for more or less for coverage beyond you're state's minimum. 100 dollar deductible or 1k deductible, ACV vs full replacement, UM/UIM coverage beyond state minimum, accessory coverage, personal belongings, rental, transportation, liability, collision and comprehensive limits, state requirements.... it's all part of the equation.  There is no standard "full coverage policy", you can hear your agents eyes roll to the back of their heads when you ask for it by name over the phone if you listen close.

I don't mean to be rude, but probably come off that way, but it is truly an meaningless term.

11 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Again no such thing, you can always pay for more or less for coverage beyond you're state's minimum. 100 dollar deductible or 1k deductible, ACV vs full replacement, UM/UIM coverage beyond state minimum, accessory coverage, personal belongings, rental, transportation, liability, collision and comprehensive limits, state requirements.... it's all part of the equation.  There is no standard "full coverage policy", you can hear your agents eyes roll to the back of their heads when you ask for it by name over the phone if you listen close.

I don't mean to be rude, but probably come off that way, but it is truly an meaningless term.

You win…have a good day.

If we're just comparing the FJ-09, I pay $240 annual for 300/300/100, with 150 deductible, incl towing. This is part of a 3 bike policy, rolled into an umbrella. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

$220 per year for the FJ-09 with 100/300/100, $250 deductible on comp/collision, and towing through State Farm in western Oregon. 

I just added my Multistrada V4S with the same coverage and it was the same cost. Amazing. 

• Thumbsup 2

To much! 😪 My 2021 GSX-R1000R I rarely ride is killing me with state Farm at $900 a year full coverage with a $1000 deductible collision🙄. 2020 Tracer not any where near that at $352 a year full coverage with a measly $250 deductible on collision. I am currently shopping both out and plan to dump State Farm if the rates are even remotely lower on the GSXR for sure. Excellent driving record and 59 years old, homeowner and 800+ credit rating since the scum bags use that as well to determine your worthiness or not.

I do live in a state where 28% of the people on the road driving have NO insurance at all. That could be a problem in all this.

Edited by roy826
  • Thumbsup 1

I’m 73, live and ride in southern CA. I’ve had motorcycle insurance most of my life. Terrible driving record in my early years but haven’t gotten a ticket or had an accident in almost 20 years. I carry only liability, with coverage 100k/300k/50k. Costs me $240 per year from Geico.