Side case organization

Kemp

Like many areas of my life, I feel like the side cases in my '20 GT could stand a higher level of organization. I do have some small pouches that I keep things separated (for example, my tire repair kit in one case, etc.) but I was wondering what others do to keep their side cases organized?

Also, recall this thread:  

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Kemp said:

Like many areas of my life, I feel like the side cases in my '20 GT could stand a higher level of organization. I do have some small pouches that I keep things separated (for example, my tire repair kit in one case, etc.) but I was wondering what others do to keep their side cases organized?

I only use the side bags a few times a year when n a road trip and simply use a bag liner to hold my clothes.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Bag liners for the side cases when traveling otherwise I keep them empty to store my helmet and groceries.  I use soft tackle cases for my tooks, inflator, jump starter, and other miscellaneous items in the top case as well as stuff sacks for the rain gear.

• Thumbsup 1

I have Kathy's liners, have used them on an R1100, Wee Strom with Givi hard cases, and on a Wee Strom Adventure with humongous aluminum boxes. The liners help IMO but still lack.

I like to keep roadside items in easy to grab stuff sacks, without having to take out a liner bag and sort thru contents. Hope to come up with some sort of bungee/stretch cord arrangement to contain things in the lid clamshell, as well as the bigger box. Dont want to drill lots of holes for rivets and hooks for appearance sake. Never had bungee buddy mounts leak, so that's not a concern for me. Will post if I come up something.

My bags are only on the bike for long trips, and like @maximo I follow the age old method of slamming them shut before things have time to fall out when out and about with them. 

When loading for a trip and when at hotels, I bring them inside with me, as they're so quick and easy to remove/attach.  If someone's going to steal my bike while I'm snoozing at a hotel, I'd rather they not get my clothes too, and I'd rather not risk my cases to someone thinking there might be something valuable inside them.  They are, after all, virtually irreplaceable now. 

So when laying on their backs, they're easy to load/organize/etc.  That just leaves roadside access, which is as I said... just slam it closed before things can fall out. 

I considered plastering the inside of the cases with soft side velcro, and making sub-bags to put inside them, but I never got around to that because it'd just lead to me carrying a bunch of stuff around day to day that there's no real reason for me to carry, which becomes a problem because I'll throw the bags on for a specific reason (say, a run to a store to get some stuff) without thinking that they're half full of random rain gear/heated gear/tools/whatever, then not have enough room. 

I've thought about liners, but... *shrugs* It's just as easy for me to pull off the bags entirely as take liners out.  Unlock, lift handle, lift bag off bike.  And again, takes the hardcases into hotel rooms for safekeeping.

I have FJR case liners but they are a bit stiff and too large.  Every trip I try different ways and last two trips I've gone to packing clothes in a compression bag from REI.  Fits well in the side case.  Will pack them off the bike each morning and fit other misc items under around and on top of compression bags.  The super light backpacks and bags from IKEA are good to pack stuff in.  Over the trip clothes get worn and then go to the dirty side until I get to a laundry day.  Try and keep the sidecases equal in weight and heavy items are packed low.  Notebook computer goes  on the inside or bottom of the case but with enough soft stuff under it so that it is not stressed.  Compression bag goes on top.  Rain gear goes in the top case, big duffle gets tent and all kinds of misc stuff.  Goal is to keep top case empty but over the trip it gets varying amounts of stuff.  

Worked well on the last trip which was 18 days and 6,500 miles.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

I too only mount the cases when on a trip, and I have some nice NelsonRigg bag liners that fit perfectly in the side cases. They are liners that came with some soft bags I used to mount on my V-Strom when going off pavement, they have been nice to have for organization and to simply pull out and head for the hotel room or whatever my overnight stay is. :)

• Premium Member

I always keep a 1st aid kit, chain lube, and Honda cleaner in the right saddlebag toward the top. That way if I park on the side of the road, the saddlebag is tipped up and I'm away from traffic when I'm grabbing it. 

I'm mostly like the OP - small stuff sacks to separate different gear (mostly to keep road grime off clothes). Otherwise the sacks or my work bag just goes where ever.

Finally on grocery runs, I make sure to put the bike on the centerstand before loading milk, eggs, and bread so it doesn't tumble out. Between saddlebags and a rear seat net I can carry about 4 - 5 days of groceries without any planning. I can carry a whole week with planning. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

FJR bags, so they have FJR liners.  I prefer taking them into the hotel room instead of the whole bag, but that's just me.  Everyone's different.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag that sits on the passenger seat.  That is where I keep anything I might need such as tools, a tire repair kit and small inflator, water, rags, zip ties etc.   That stays on the bike at all times and is perfect for going out for the day.  I only put the cases on for trips when I will be gone overnight or for several days, and that is where I keep clothes and other items that I will not be needing to access while on the road.  

The cases come with me into the hotel or B&B and are easy to unload / load off the bike.

• Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

That's the way I do it also. The Nelson Rigg tail bag is a nice piece of equipment! But since I ride a lot of different bikes (5), I have purchased extra straps so I can easily move it from one bike to another. I can change it from one bike to another in less than a minute.

• Thumbsup 2

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE