throttle is "pinned" to max revs

Rdecae81

2019 Tracer GT 900 22,000 miles

so I was riding on the highway, I pass a car and truck in third gear and pin the throttle to get around them.
The throttle does not back off, my throttle/engine is pinned to max revs.

luckily, I was in third gear, so just spend up REAL fast but no cars in my lane.  I see a pull off, I hit the kill switch and coast into the pull off.

I can tell the throttle is pinned, seems like the issue is at the throttle body, not at the handlebar.  

Anyone experience this?
Suggestions?

Edited by Rdecae81
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

The throttle does not back off....  I see a pull off, I hit the kill switch and coast into the pull off.

Then what? Were you able to ride it home (normally)?

Never happened to me. That is pucker-city.

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

Anyone experience this?
Suggestions?

First, I strongly suggest that you not ride it again until you find the definitive cause of this.   That could be a really bad situation… 

I haven’t heard of this one before, thankfully.  I know the earlier FJs had mechanical cables that connected to the electronic throttle controls down by the throttle bodies… sort of a hybrid mechanical ride-by-wire.   Does your Tracer have the same setup?   My experience has been that sticking throttles are almost always something mechanical getting bound up… check cables, linkages, return springs, etc.

• Thumbsup 1

My 2017 did something similar, but not on the road.  In my garage I noticed when rotated full open it would stick.  I could easily rotate it back but it wouldn't snap back on its own.  I took apart the throttle assembly and went through everything to make sure it was assembled properly.  It seemed ok and when I carefully put it back together it was fine.  Hasn't done it since.  I don't know...

I do realize my 2017 has a cable.

• Supporting Member

Agreed; gotta be something mechanical.

Quick thinking though!!  Well done

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

It happened to me on a 2017 FJ09. Luckily I was able change to neutral to pull over. Engine stayed at max RPM till I turned the key off. Started up normal after a couple of minutes and continued home and it happened again. Put her on a trailer and found it was a known  problem with Yamaha who said it was a fault regarding heated grips and quickshifter. Repairs were free of charge on Yamaha. There is a thread about it somewhere on the forum.

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/9876-2017-mccruise-quick-shifter-heated-grips-problem/#comment-129609

I never got an explanation from the dealer after they fixed my FJ-09 on Yamaha's dime. Just that Yamaha agreed to fix it immediately as they had come across this issue in the past.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

it was a known  problem with Yamaha who said it was a fault regarding heated grips and quickshifter.

Well that’s an interesting one… I had missed this previously.   Thanks for the info 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

it was a known  problem with Yamaha who said it was a fault regarding heated grips and quickshifter. Repairs were free of charge on Yamaha.

Sounds deserving of a recall or a service bulletin of some kind. Was there one?... or did Yamaha act on customer (who lived to tell) complaints case by case?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

ok so no I did not ride the bike home 🙂
Luckily our group of riders has a car enthusiast who comes with us.  Very good driver
anyway put my tank bag, tail bag and helmet in his car, I got into passenger seat and he took me home.

I then got my truck and trailer and went and picked the bike up.

thanks for the link to the thread, I will follow up with my dealer on tuesday.

1 hour ago, Rdecae81 said:

I forgot to ask, I have not checked yet, is the 2019 Trace GT 900 fly by wire, or just standard cable throttle?

Both, traditional cables go to TPS sensor by throttle bodies, which in turn is then decoded and sent via wire to ecu, which in turn commands the throttle body stepper motor.

• Thumbsup 1

thanks I was not sure of the exact set up.  Any chance it is just a ECU error? and a reset is all that will be needed?

It feels mechanical i.e. a cable issue to the TPS sensor.  but I now have a code reader so I will hook it up.

• Thumbsup 1