throttle is "pinned" to max revs

Rdecae81

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

The factory heated grip wires are not long or need to be looped like aftermarket, they are the perfect length and made for this bike. I have owned motorcycles with teflon lined throttle/clutch cables that you do not lube, are we certain that the Tracer cables are to be lubed? For the OP, do you have risers installed or have rotated the bars back towards tank?

@2and3cylinders is correct, they ARE looped in a very specific fashion under the throttle housing cover. Anyone who has installed the Yamaha heated grips was made aware of this by the instructions that were included for install. 
And yes, they are supposed to be lubed as well. 

@Rdecae81 I get it, you just want the bike fixed. Many of us here would have taken it apart to see where it was binding, and we were all curious if you’d done that. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 6

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

... I have owned motorcycles with teflon lined throttle/clutch cables that you do not lube, are we certain that the Tracer cables are to be lubed? 

That is a very common misconception.

There is some truth that lined cables may not NEED to be lubed, but over the years that has evolved to the idea that lube will HARM the liner - and that just isn't true. Teflon (PTFE) is very resistant to oils, solvents, and acid.

This site has a huge list of compatibility, this is just the start of alphabet

Teflon non reactive.jpg

Honda has used Teflon lined cables for decades. They say to LUBE THEM if they NEED IT. In other words if there is a symptom you can apply a remedy. You are not going to hurt the Teflon. This is from the factory manual for Honda 750, years 1991-2003

Cable lube teflon.png

I have seen this discussed on Gold Wing forums, and vintage motorcycle forums. The consensus is to lube a lined cable if it is sticking. I lube mine when I have stuff apart just as preventive maintenance but again it is not "needed" if there is not a problem.

Good cables are lined with PTFE, but what about a cheap cable lined with some other plastic? I would still say it is resistant to common oils used for lubrication. Cheap plastic won't withstand high temperatures of cooking - but should function for even a cheap aftermarket throttle cable that gets oiled.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

good point on the lubrication, my bike has 22K miles and never have lubed the cables.  If it turns out to just be a bad cable, then Yes I may lube them once a year when I do my winter maintenance.

for right now, I could take it apart and I might "fix" the issue, but I might also miss something, and for this I prefer (hopefully) a professional check it out.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, skipperT said:

@2and3cylinders is correct, they ARE looped in a very specific fashion under the throttle housing cover. Anyone who has installed the Yamaha heated grips was made aware of this by the instructions that were included for install. 
And yes, they are supposed to be lubed as well. 

The original FJ didn’t come with heated grips and were available as an option for self install, the loop inside the throttle housing sounds simple but was very tricky for me to get correct, the rest was just plug and play. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

based on a lot of responses here, I may have missed the opportunity to learn how the cable system works in the throttle housing.  However, because the Yamaha OEM replacement schedule for these cables is (I think) 30K miles (I only have 22K) I decided to involve my dealer.  We will see.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Ride365 said:

The factory heated grip wires are not long or need to be looped like aftermarket, they are the perfect length and made for this bike. I have owned motorcycles with teflon lined throttle/clutch cables that you do not lube, are we certain that the Tracer cables are to be lubed? For the OP, do you have risers installed or have rotated the bars back towards tank?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT ON THE 15 & 16 THE OEM HEATED GRIPS WERE AN OPTION AND INSTALLED BY THE DEALER OR OWNER. A DIFFERENT THROTTLE HOUSING WAS PART OF THE KIT THAT INTERNALLY THE POWER WIRE LOOPS INSIDE  AND IS LUBED WITH GREASE.  NO QUESTION.

TEFLON OR NO I ALWAYS LUBE THE THROTTLE CABLES AND TWIST GRIP...

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT ON THE 15 & 16 THE OEM HEATED GRIPS WERE AN OPTION AND INSTALLED BY THE DEALER OR OWNER. A DIFFERENT THROTTLE HOUSING WAS PART OF THE KIT THAT INTERNALLY THE POWER WIRE LOOPS INSIDE  AND IS LUBED WITH GREASE.  NO QUESTION.

TEFLON OR NO I ALWAYS LUBE THE THROTTLE CABLES AND TWIST GRIP...

I have same model as the OP, hence why I said what I did.......why you shouting at me? I understand from trusted motorcycle mechanics, that you don't lube teflon lined cables, however it's common sense to lube cams/pivots etc.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, Lone Wolf said:

That is a very common misconception.

There is some truth that lined cables may not NEED to be lubed, but over the years that has evolved to the idea that lube will HARM the liner - and that just isn't true. Teflon (PTFE) is very resistant to oils, solvents, and acid.

This site has a huge list of compatibility, this is just the start of alphabet

Teflon non reactive.jpg

Honda has used Teflon lined cables for decades. They say to LUBE THEM if they NEED IT. In other words if there is a symptom you can apply a remedy. You are not going to hurt the Teflon. This is from the factory manual for Honda 750, years 1991-2003

Cable lube teflon.png

I have seen this discussed on Gold Wing forums, and vintage motorcycle forums. The consensus is to lube a lined cable if it is sticking. I lube mine when I have stuff apart just as preventive maintenance but again it is not "needed" if there is not a problem.

Good cables are lined with PTFE, but what about a cheap cable lined with some other plastic? I would still say it is resistant to common oils used for lubrication. Cheap plastic won't withstand high temperatures of cooking - but should function for even a cheap aftermarket throttle cable that gets oiled.

Good to know sir, thanks for the information......

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

I have same model as the OP, hence why I said what I did.......why you shouting at me? I understand from trusted motorcycle mechanics, that you don't lube teflon lined cables, however it's common sense to lube cams/pivots etc.

@2and3cylinders sometimes forgets he has the caps lock ON, I don’t think he meant anything by it. 
-S

• Thumbsup 4

• 2 weeks later...

the local dealer did a great job.  all fixed

turned out to be a bolt (unfortunately not identified where it came from) fell into the cable linkage and jammed it wide open.  Just a one in a million chance that a loose bolt would fall right as I was at full throttle.

they removed the bolt and bike is running awesome.  Kudos to Mountain motor sports Lawrenceville, GA

Edited by Rdecae81
  • Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

all fixed

Good to hear!  Now time to enjoy :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

the local dealer did a great job.  all fixed

turned out to be a bolt (unfortunately not identified where it came from) fell into the cable linkage and jammed it wide open.  Just a one in a million chance that a loose bolt would fall right as I was at full throttle.

they removed the bolt and bike is running awesome.  Kudos to Mountain motor sports Lawrenceville, GA

Good news that you got it resolved and are happy..... however I have these nagging questions...

Each to their own but for me I'd HAVE to know where that 'bolt' came from.  Did the dealer follow through with that thought and look?  Seems so odd from a workshop to say that there was a bolt in the mechanism so we removed it and you're good to go!  No explanation or investigation as to where it might have come from?

Surely it must have come from the bike (or a mod that had been done) and didn't just bounce up off the road and work it's way through the labyrinth of stuff to lodge there at that precise moment that you pinned the throttle!??  I'd like those odds in the lottery.

Not wanting to cause alarm but if it did come from your bike, then what else has been potentially compromised?

Having said all of this, I do recall that I dropped a hex driver while adjusting the handlebars some time ago and it turned out that it had 'used' the two throttle cables as a slippery slide and was resting between the two of them down near the throttle bodies - so anything is possible! 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1