Noco Lithium for Tracer 900

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I stopped a few years ago keeping my batteries on my "battery tenders" when not on the road. Instead, I closely monitor their state of charge, and when they drop below 12.88V, I then put them on a tender for a couple of days.

I do the same but I don't necessarily "closely monitor their state of charge".  If the bike has been sitting for awhile and I plan on a ride, I will put it on the tender the evening prior but they don't ever live on the tender.

If your '15 is still on the oem battery, I would consider yourself lucky.  I replaced mine last summer since I travel to some remote areas and can't chance a battery failure.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Mr D

Given the post immediately prior to yours, karma may demand you refrain from using the term "fire starter " when referring to your battery. 

Ha! Well spotted and good point.

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Whatever you decide though, we'll support you but I'd not heard of SSB until now.

@OZVFR has one and has mentioned it a couple of times in glowing terms.  Here's a link to their official website - https://superstart.com.au/about-us/

5 hours ago, betoney said:

If your '15 is still on the oem battery, I would consider yourself lucky.  I replaced mine last summer since I travel to some remote areas and can't chance a battery failure.

This is actually my 2nd battery both of which have been the YUASA OEM type.

** I'm still not 100% sure it's my battery though, after some further checks, and have made another thread to discuss - this thread.

It still could be a weak battery though but will do some more digging today to see if some more light can be shed.

I hate these intermittent kind of faults.

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

This is actually my 2nd battery both of which have been the YUASA OEM type.

** I'm still not 100% sure it's my battery though,

I have never used anything but oem Yuasa on every bike I have ever owned, street or dirt and have never been in a situation where I HAD to replace one, its always been as a matter of caution because they were getting old, usually 7-8 years.  Yes, they certainly can go dead sooner but there might be something else to troubleshoot first like a short or a parasitic drain.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 2/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, dazzler24 said:

EDIT: - Further developments in this thread.

Well, this recent thread was an omen as it turns out.  I kitted up to go for an outing this morning, turned the key, waited for all the dancing lights to finish on the dash then hit the starter - nothing, nada, not even a buzz!

Checked my battery voltage and it was reading 11.8V with only the ignition on.   AKA - not enough.

This Yuasa OEM YTZ10S replaced my original battery in mid 2019 so just over 4 and a half years and it has been on my 'smart' tender when not being ridden. i.e. looked after.

When I look back on some recent rides, I have had a couple of instances of when being stopped at roadworks and I've shut the bike down, it has failed to turn over and has taken a couple of hits of the starter button to crank into life and no, I wasn't looking at the voltage monitor on my USB outlet as I was more interested in not being run over from behind.

I'm wondering (now) if the battery has been slowly dying unnoticed as I usually put it back on my tender soon after every ride and doing that has been masking a sick battery?

This time it had been sitting without the tender for about 2 weeks which should be nothing in the scheme of things.

Anyway, I'm biting the bullet to renew and will now seriously consider one of these flash lithium options as my new fire starter.  Cold weather is not an issue where I'm from.

@OZVFR - what size/specs SSB do you have?  You're obviously happy with its performance.

@piotrek - might be early days for you yet but any further comments on your NOCO?

EDIT: - Just found this one for AU$150 delivered! Which seems like great value as I paid AU$210 for my last YUASA and it's made here!  Unheard of - sadly. 

Direct replacement for the OEM - dimensions are exactly the same.

SSBPowerSport4-LFP14H-BS.thumb.PNG.498088952858f742620c6dd89c67baee.PNG

Sorry Dazz, just saw this. 
yes I have the this exact one. LFP14H-BS. 
4 years now and still great. 
Last started the bike in December as I’ve been flat out with work. 
Left for SBK at Phillip Island last Wednesday, started instantly. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

Sorry Dazz, just saw this. 
yes I have the this exact one. LFP14H-BS. 
4 years now and still great. 
Last started the bike in December as I’ve been flat out with work. 
Left for SBK at Phillip Island last Wednesday, started instantly. 

No worries mate.  Thanks for the feedback.  These seem like a solid battery and made in Sydney apparently.

Enjoy the SBK over the next few days. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got an Anti Gravity 'restart' li ion batt in mine.  It's been there since 2018 and is still doing just fine.  Never been on a battery charger...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I’ve had the “bike master” lithium battery on my FJ since 2018. It’s been on there for about 100k miles. No complaints. 
I got it from revzillla. 
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bikemaster-lithium-ion-20-battery-bmp14b-fp?sku_id=10005782

it’s currently out of stock. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

Is "what battery should I get" going to be the 21st century version of oil threads? 😆

Glad the general consensus for Lithium is positive after reading this thread.

Not sure about NOCO as a company, I don't support any corporation that ignore industry standards in favor of their own proprietary connectors in order to nickel and dime us to death on adapters and dongles. I have a NOCO charger I bought on a big sale and needed to buy an SAE adapter because their chargers terminate in their proprietary X-connect; even more irritating their batteries also have nonstandard/non-square terminals. I will begrudgingly admit the quality of the charger is top-notch, and charges multiple types of batteries (AGM, Gel, Lithium) without issue.

I also find it humorous that just as Lithium Ion was becoming affordable and available to the masses to compete with AGM/Gel; LiFePO hit the market and made Li-ion dead tech at larger form factors. The speed at which new tech comes out these days is insane.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I also find it humorous that just as Lithium Ion was becoming affordable and available to the masses to compete with AGM/Gel; LiFePO hit the market and made Li-ion dead tech at larger form factors. The speed at which new tech comes out these days is insane.

Hold onto your pants as soon as AI starts crunching chemical battery composites and membranes.
Prepare for a solar panel boom if they get efficient storage ready to go, but that's a whole different story.

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Hold onto your pants as soon as AI starts crunching chemical battery composites and membranes.
Prepare for a solar panel boom if they get efficient storage ready to go, but that's a whole different story.

Funny you should mention that.

My portfolio is overwhelmingly boring ETFs, mutual funds, and a few rental properties. The only individual stocks I have are either direct solar panel manufacturers or precious metals companies related to solar panel production. I should've bought nVidia I'm waiting for that solar panel boom any day now 😅.

I am still on the fence about switching from AGM over to Lithium ion, not sure for me that the lemon is worth the squeeze, and the reliability still sounds sketchy.