Fuel cleaning additives

Grease monkey

I'm going to be the Naysayer here. They are all snake oil and a waste of money.  Hiss! Hiss!  Everyone with an opinion otherwise is guaranteed to chime in with anecdotal information. "Hey I survived a grizzly attack with a .22 pistol!. Shot my buddy in the knee and ran away! HA!!!"

Riding your bike regularly does more to keep your fuel system clean than anything else. If you're going to leave it unridden for more than a couple weeks or longer (who the hell does that! ) well then maybe, just maybe a fuel stabilizer. But, naw, snake oil the lot of them!. Now where the heck is my gremlin bell????

Edited by 2linby
spelling
  • Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

23 hours ago, 2linby said:

I'm going to be the Naysayer here. They are all snake oil and a waste of money.  Hiss! Hiss!  Everyone with an opinion otherwise is guaranteed to chime in with anecdotal information. "Hey I survived a grizzly attack with a .22 pistol!. Shot my buddy in the knee and ran away! HA!!!"

Riding your bike regularly does more to keep your fuel system clean than anything else. If you're going to leave it unridden for more than a couple weeks or longer (who the hell does that! ) well then maybe, just maybe a fuel stabilizer. But, naw, snake oil the lot of them!. Now where the heck is my gremlin bell????

Don't forget the deer whistles.  😉

I use Seafoam in all the stuff that sits for periods of time ... chainsaw, whipper snipper, lawnmower, snowblower, etc.  I put some in the bike's tank when I fill it the last time before putting it way for the year.  Supposed to be a fuel stabilizer.  Hasn't hurt anything, that I can tell, and most of my stuff starts when needed.  Unfortunately, my bikes do get left, unridden, for periods of time.  Waddya do?  RIDE THE SLED!! 

snow.thumb.jpg.0d234bbba8becfd53f7bfbea906ed5e0.jpg

image.png.d13fee4f8b19ba55b239dbd5ed43d6bd.png

That's a Honda Fit and an F150 in the background, just to clarify.  😄

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 3

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Top tier fuels such as Shell Premium have additives that supposedly help keep the fuel system clean.  However if you can not always find top tier fuels it is not a bad idea to run a bit of system cleaner such as Techron or Seafoam.  Will help keep the injectors clean.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I also stabilize my fuel every winter with SeaFoam and run it through my systems every now and again. Not sure it’s needed, not sure it’s magical, not sure it’s even doing anything but I don’t have fuel issues so I keep doing it. 

Maybe I’m the dumb one :)

As far as “top tier” fuels, I feel like that’s a gimmick because show me a place anymore that doesn’t have a “top tier” fuel label on their fuel tanks. Everyone has it, I don’t believe it really means much anymore. 

Edited by miweber929
  • Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, miweber929 said:

As far as “top tier” fuels, I feel like that’s a gimmick because show me a place anymore that doesn’t have a “top tier” fuel label on their fuel tanks. Everyone has it, I don’t believe it really means much anymore. 

There are a few gas stations in town near me that do not have the top tier label.  One was once a Shell which did have the pumps marked as top tier.  It is now a Casey's Mini Mart.  Same pumps, but now the label has been removed.  No longer buy my gas there.

It may not mean much, but the label is not ubiquitous here.  And a tank full of poor quality fuel can cause issues. 

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

12 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

There are a few gas stations in town near me that do not have the top tier label.  One was once a Shell which did have the pumps marked as top tier.  It is now a Casey's Mini Mart.  Same pumps, but now the label has been removed.  No longer buy my gas there.

It may not mean much, but the label is not ubiquitous here.  And a tank full of poor quality fuel can cause issues. 

Interesting. As I said, around here the Kwik Trips, Speedways, Holidays, etc. along with the BPs, Shells, and any other big names all have labels saying top tier which is pretty much every fuel station in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois. We do have Casey’s, though I rarely visit them so I’ve never looked, I will next time. 

One other thing I notice, since you’re in Kentucky which made me think of this, plus I just got back from a 2 week drive of the BRP, Shenandoah Parkway and surrounding areas, is when I ride down south I struggle to find non-oxy, straight fuel when it’s plentiful in the same states I mentioned above. And when I do it’s 88, 89 or 90 octane where here it’s always 91 or higher. Just different areas I guess? 

Edited by miweber929
Spelling and clarity

• Supporting Member

I strictly use non-ethanol gas. On the rare occasion that I do, I make sure to run a couple of tanks of non-ethanol again before winter hibernation. Works for me.

Why does gas go bad in the winter?

Gasoline can form gummy deposits and layers of varnish that gunk up any part of the fuel system they can reach. Most gas contains some amount of ethanol, and that spells more trouble; ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water from the atmosphere. Cycling temperatures from warm to cold also increases the amount of condensation. Finally, ethanol cannot absorb as much water at low temperatures as it can when it's warmer, so the gasoline will phase separate sooner in colder temperatures. Once phase separation occurs, there is no way to reverse it.
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

I strictly use non-ethanol gas. On the rare occasion that I do, I make sure to run a couple of tanks of non-ethanol again before winter hibernation. Works for me.

Why does gas go bad in the winter?

Gasoline can form gummy deposits and layers of varnish that gunk up any part of the fuel system they can reach. Most gas contains some amount of ethanol, and that spells more trouble; ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water from the atmosphere. Cycling temperatures from warm to cold also increases the amount of condensation. Finally, ethanol cannot absorb as much water at low temperatures as it can when it's warmer, so the gasoline will phase separate sooner in colder temperatures. Once phase separation occurs, there is no way to reverse it.

Thank god you’re not on the Ducati forum I frequent or you’d get called out for such blasphemy by someone who live in the same state (Minnesota) as I do. When the topic of winter storage comes up, I’ve mentioned I use non-oxy fuel all year long because of ethanols water properties during idle times because my bikes sit for so long and have been told numerous times there is no “issue” and he keeps 40 gallons at his house all year long and uses it with no additives, without issue.

What you quoted is what I’ve seen, and personally experienced, but have been told several times I’m wrong, lol!!! 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I have E0 available but it is much more expensive than E10 premium, I cant afford to use it year around so I use it late fall/winter when I ride a bit less and the bike sits longer, (I never "winterize" or put the bike away for the season).

Throughout the year, I periodically use Yamalube RingFree Plus.  1oz/30ml treats 10 gallons, I use .5oz/15ml per tank

image.thumb.jpeg.9b42c4a0e8f873466cfc664fefe44a19.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
  • Supporting Member

For winter storage, I fill my tank with quality (🤔) ethanol-free fuel (Shell is close by) and go for a short ride to work the fuel through the system. Outside of that, the bike gets no special treatment. Bike starts and runs great.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, piotrek said:

ethanol-free fuel

Yup.  Anything being stored for longer than a few months would ideally have a tank of ethanol-free.  Or some stabilizer, at the very least.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount