What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I had a valve stem start leaking… so for the first time for me, I dismounted and remounted a tire in my garage :)    The had the tools for a bit (motion pro spoons/levers, bead protectors, and a bead breaker stand) but never tried.

This was the front which is kind of a pita!  But was over all easier than I thought it would be!

i have a set of mutants going on next week so this was a solid test!  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I had a valve stem start leaking…

i have a set of mutants going on next week

Do you have right angle valve stems?  If not, this would be the perfect opportunity to get them installed.

90 Degree Valve Stem

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I had a valve stem start leaking… so for the first time for me, I dismounted and remounted a tire in my garage :)    The had the tools for a bit (motion pro spoons/levers, bead protectors, and a bead breaker stand) but never tried.

This was the front which is kind of a pita!  But was over all easier than I thought it would be!

i have a set of mutants going on next week so this was a solid test!  

When I read leaking valve stem, I thought "how does he know let alone if it's an intake or exhaust"?

Then I realized you were referring to a tire not a cylinder head LOL

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Today, when the huge hand gripping my spine loosens up a bit when the pills kick in, I'm taking my fastest red for a "walk".  Albeit likely a short one.😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, betoney said:

Do you have right angle valve stems?  If not, this would be the perfect opportunity to get them installed.

90 Degree Valve Stem

So I actually have T valves on the bike so I can use external TPMS sensors.  The dude who installed them put the seal on wrong and I noticed it but it never leaked until this week.   So I had to fix it.  https://wingstuff.com/products/37222-t-valve-optional-accessory-for-fobo-2-tpms

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

So I got out late but it was a gorgeous day.Met up with a buddy and rode a lot farther than I really wanted to but it wasn't terrible on the way back

I found if I sit back where i'm almost On the pillion saddle it relieves my Hip pain just that much more that it made it almost bearable

My buddy who is a Control rider with moto viz And only stopped racing a year or so ago at age 73 Wanted me to see his new acquisition, which is a KTM 390 all set up for the track real nice.It's a hoot following him on a twisty road. It's like a bicycle.

I was laughing in my helmet. All for only $3k!!!

When I sell my spare 98 VTR1000F and my 01 H.D XL1200S I'm looking to get a Honda NC750X for the DCT..

20240518_194756.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 4/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, DT675 said:

Recently I finally swapped out GPS mounts.  I documented the one I had and didnt like in another thread.  Here I changed to this one and the results are a WAY more stable GPS. 

Also with the GPS-to-bar mount, its a cheap chinese aluminum clamps that I dont really trust all that much so used some fiber grip paste on it so I dont have to run the screws quite so tight and it should prevent stripping and slipping.

20240406_111659_resized.thumb.jpg.4d996f8d9ec896e4636ade9e12a1e15f.jpg

20240406_111715_resized.thumb.jpg.f20a7e18059bbbe82e1f1fed92ad3f9e.jpg

I've just ordered these very items for the same reason you did.  I've never been entirely happy with my original mount (the same one that you had) and for the same reason in that at certain revs my Zumo XT would vibrate more than I would like.  I've used HD foam on either side of the flat steel mount and have the ZUMO's top corners  pressing against the wind screen to try and dampen the vibes but it's not ideal.

While it's worked I'd be more comfortable if I can get rid of the vibes altogether - or as much as possible.

Another reason is that I want to move my TPMS off the mirror stalk and closer to the instrument cluster where my gaze often finds itself.  This clamp, with it's 22mm horizontal bar, looks like it will accommodate both the ZUMO and the TPMS (with its bar clamp) comfortably, albeit with a bit of jockeying of positions.

Are you still happy with this setup?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've just ordered these very items for the same reason you did.  I've never been entirely happy with my original mount (the same one that you had) and for the same reason in that at certain revs my Zumo XT would vibrate more than I would like.  I've used HD foam on either side of the flat steel mount and have the ZUMO's top corners  pressing against the wind screen to try and dampen the vibes but it's not ideal.

While it's worked I'd be more comfortable if I can get rid of the vibes altogether - or as much as possible.

Another reason is that I want to move my TPMS off the mirror stalk and closer to the instrument cluster where my gaze often finds itself.  This clamp, with it's 22mm horizontal bar, looks like it will accommodate both the ZUMO and the TPMS (with its bar clamp) comfortably, albeit with a bit of jockeying of positions.

Are you still happy with this setup?

Have I posted up these pics b4 Daz!

There is a weatherproof cover I made over the Zumo XT mount with the TPMS display to it's right; my radar detector can mounted on the left side of my T-rail.  My cell phone is on its own RAM powered X-clamp on a triple stem on a bar top clamp screw RAM ball.

The vibration damped T-rail heads-up display mounting system I crafted uses RAM T-rail ball mounts. However, on some surfaces here at speed (+70 mph) the devices do vibrate a fair bit for extended periods with no apparent ill effects but there's no getting around that with our abysmal roads.  I don't think your roads suffer much from winter induced freeze-thaw cycle deterioration... 

image.thumb.png.ae17fc55fb020f21a67a47a8ad62c886.png

image.thumb.png.107cd8d3cea73aef960a3c33ff48597f.png

20240422_102257.jpg

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

There is a weatherproof cover I made over the Zumo XT mount with the TPMS display to it's right; my radar detector can mounted on the left side of my T-rail.  My cell phone is on its own RAM powered X-clamp on a triple stem on a bar top clamp screw RAM ball.

The vibration damped T-rail heads-up display mounting system I crafted uses RAM T-rail ball mounts. However, on some surfaces here at speed (+70 mph) the devices do vibrate a fair bit for extended periods with no apparent ill effects but there's no getting around that with our abysmal roads.  I don't think your roads suffer much from winter induced freeze-thaw cycle deterioration... 

20240422_102257.jpg

Bloody hell, where do you put your iPad and CB radio?

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

20240422_102257.jpg

Yes you have posted these before 2and3 but I'm looking for a more minimalist approach - thanks though.

My phone stays in my tank bag and I just link it wirelessly through my Zumo XT for any texts or calls so don't need it to be mounted.   The Zumo also provides my tunes i.e. not from the phone.  And I don't use a radar detector, as I don't go fast enough to warrant one 👼, so don't need the extra length of a long mounting bar.

I don't think any mounting system is completely vibration free (it's a motorbike after all)  but this one I'm getting is quite cheap so worth the punt, for me, and it should offer me the little extra room I need for my TPMS.

On another note, I wish Garmin would have included TPMS capability into their firmware for the XT!   Apparently it is available on some of their earlier models?

P.S. I've posted previously that I use a 3D printed cover for my Zumo mounting base that protects it from the elements when not in use which works well and, dare I say, looks quite 'finished' too.  Re-posted here for anyone who might be interested.  Think it was this one that I used.

3DcoverforXT3.thumb.jpg.30c7ac8d34ff15fba5ea9ae19d2e952a.jpg

3DcoverforXT.thumb.jpg.8fbd0fadd5655ae810ab1159001d3ea6.jpg

3DcoverforXT_back.thumb.jpg.a71faa4eb773a08a244d1ac77fa878e6.jpg

Posted (edited)

Not sure if I posted before, I've got this one Darryl:   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313773986976

Holds my iPhone 12 with Quadlock wireless charging head and anti-vibration mount no problems and is very stiff, not sure how much heavier the Zumo is.

Removing the stock screen adjuster knobs and installing a bicycle front wheel quick release made the whole screen stiffer, and doesn't come lose ever which helped.

Edited by OZVFR

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

Not sure if I posted before, I've got this one Darryl:   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313773986976

Holds my iPhone 12 with Quadlock wireless charging head and anti-vibration mount no problems and is very stiff, not sure how much heavier the Zumo is.

Removing the stock screen adjuster knobs and installing a bicycle front wheel quick release made the whole screen stiffer, and doesn't come lose ever which helped.

Hey OZ.  Yes, that bracket (or one just like it) is the one I've got coming.  Good to hear that you've got good results with yours.

And yes, I too installed a bike quick release for the screen a while back and agree that it stiffened things up a whole lot more than the stock knobs.

The bracket should be here before the weekend so will know soon if it improves on the vibes situation.

Cheers.

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Hey OZ.  Yes, that bracket (or one just like it) is the one I've got coming.  Good to hear that you've got good results with yours.

And yes, I too installed a bike quick release for the screen a while back and agree that it stiffened things up a whole lot more than the stock knobs.

The bracket should be here before the weekend so will know soon if it improves on the vibes situation.

Cheers.

Ok, this turned up this morning and now just waiting for a compatible 22mm (7/8") AMPS clamp to arrive and I'll be set - hopefully.

20240530_100202.thumb.jpg.6f27da7bd78f08cb73de39081d0e078e.jpg

image.png.5a5e12e406dde4aabcc7b26fa1978b03.png

• Thumbsup 1

Threw some new shoes on the bike - a set of Dunlop Mutants. 

I dismounted and remounted the front myself, and the rear I dismounted, but was unable to get the new Mutant to mount on the rear with my tools so I took it to a shop to get done.  But I balanced both wheels myself as well. 

From a quick first ride, they are pretty damn nice and easy to tip into corners than my burned out and squared off T32s were :)

• Thumbsup 4

I'm only ~1800 miles into my set of Mutants, but I've been very happy with them. They do well in the cold/wet, and they stick in the twisty stuff. I'm curious what kind of mileage I'll get from them.