YES extended warranty?

I'm toying with the idea of getting the YES extended warranty for my FJ. Any thoughts on this? I wish I had something like that for my KTM. It seems like everything went wrong with that bike, and it was always $500 at the dealer to fix it. That being said, the FJ is a Yamaha and I'm sure a completely different situation (one reason I bought the FJ). I'm wondering if anyone knows of any typical things that go wrong with FJs or FZs that might warrant investing in a service plan. Thanks in advance for the input.

• Premium Member
These bikes will very rarely have any major repairs that are not caused by you or a crash. A 15 year 100,000 mile warranty then maybe but even then probably not much warranty work to cover if it's maintained properly. Wear items you have to pay for anyway and that's all this will probably need along with regular Maintenence. All the parts you don't like, like fork internals and shocks will probably be replaced with better aftermarket parts.

My dealer threw a YES in for a few hundred on my previous FZ before it crashed and I never got to use it. But some people like the security of being covered for 4 years for any manufacturer defect repairs. On a ktm,bmw or Ducati sure this would be a good idea, but on a Jap bike you will rarely get the cost of the warranty back in repairs.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 4 years later...
  • Supporting Member

Just got a letter from Yamaha offering the YES (Yamaha Extended Service) warranty for my new left over 2017 that I purchased July 2020. 

Cost is $590 plus $35 tax for 4 years after the normal 1 year warranty expires. It would be a nice selling feature to have but I do expect I will keep the bike for 5 years.

Has anyone been in a situation where this would have paid for itself. Anyone not purchase the warranty and regret it later?

Here is what the plan offers...

Genuine Yamaha coverage.

Travel and Recreation  Interruption Protection (TRIP) up to $250

Transferrable

Professional Trained Yamaha Technicians

No Deductible

No Mileage/Hour Limits

Nationwide Coverage

YES Warranty.jpg

I have it on mine, and as the bike is just over a year old is actually on it.  Will I need it?  Probably not.  Will it be worth the price?  Probably not.  

It's unlikely anything will break, and if it does, the plan costs itself are likely to cover whatever the warranty would have.  

Will I cancel mine?  Probably not.  I keep thinking about it, but never do.  *shrugs*

• Thumbsup 2

Funny, I was reading my owners manual a couple days ago and it mentioned Y.E.S. Y.E.S does sounds awesome. However, I literally do all the work myself. Literally if the engine had some kind of failure I would fix it myself however OEM parts aren't cheap. That would only be the reason why I would buy Y.E.S. 

I would say if you're not mechanically inclined the extended warranty is worth it. Even if you are mechanically inclined I think its still worth the extra $500. 

Remember, Yamaha wouldn't offer something like this without being financially feasible

I'll trust that Yamaha engineers stress tested the components well beyond it useful lifecycle. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy Y.E.S.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

Funny, I was reading my owners manual a couple days ago and it mentioned Y.E.S. Y.E.S does sounds awesome. However, I literally do all the work myself. Literally if the engine had some kind of failure I would fix it myself however OEM parts aren't cheap. That would only be the reason why I would buy Y.E.S. 

I would say if you're not mechanically inclined the extended warranty is worth it. Even if you are mechanically inclined I think its still worth the extra $500. 

Remember, Yamaha wouldn't offer something like this without being financially feasible

I'll trust that Yamaha engineers stress tested the components well beyond it useful lifecycle. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy Y.E.S.

I’m confused, you would buy it or you will not buy it, literally which one is it? 

1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

Look on the web. You can find it at a better price. Will your bike break? Who knows? It’s a voluntary insurance policy. 

True but also read the fine print. If the registration is in a state that regulates insurance prices (extended warranties are insurance products) they'll end up refusing to sell it or voiding it and returning your money. WA, CA, a few others. If you decide to proceed legit dealers advertise them on ebay for steep discounts. 

My anecdote: only ever purchased extended warranties on a couple first year model vehicles and even then never recouped the cost.

Edited by chitown
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Just got a letter from Yamaha offering the YES (Yamaha Extended Service) warranty for my new left over 2017 that I purchased July 2020. 

Cost is $590 plus $35 tax for 4 years after the normal 1 year warranty expires. It would be a nice selling feature to have but I do expect I will keep the bike for 5 years.

Has anyone been in a situation where this would have paid for itself. Anyone not purchase the warranty and regret it later?

Here is what the plan offers...

Genuine Yamaha coverage.

Travel and Recreation  Interruption Protection (TRIP) up to $250

Transferrable

Professional Trained Yamaha Technicians

No Deductible

No Mileage/Hour Limits

Nationwide Coverage

YES Warranty.jpg

I bought my warranty when the bike was new and have used it 4 times. Front brake calipers and pads, clutch basket, 12v power outlet and ABS pump. It covered the parts and all labor, I didn’t pay an extra penny.  It is now in the last year of coverage. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, chitown said:

True but also read the fine print. If the registration is in a state that regulates insurance prices (extended warranties are insurance products) they'll end up refusing to sell it or voiding it and returning your money. WA, CA, a few others. If you decide to proceed legit dealers advertise them on ebay for steep discounts. 

My anecdote: only ever purchased extended warranties on a couple first year model vehicles and even then never recouped the cost.

When I say look on the web I’m talking about buying YES from a Yamaha dealer online. Any Yamaha dealer can sell you the YES. Some will for much cheaper than others. 
I never purchase insurance expecting to recoup the cost. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Is it true that the 4 year warranty starts after the original one year warranty so if I bought my bike let's say in June of 2016 it's good through this year??

Thanks 

Yes. Bought my 2015 in April of 2016 I got the normal 1 year + 4 years for cheap. My warranty runs out this April. Gertrude will have +105k miles on her ticker. All under warranty. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

The only bike I ever bought that I put an extended warranty on was a 2009 Buell 1125r. I forget what I paid for the warranty, but during the time I owned it The T-SHIRT company paid for over $7000.00 in parts and repairs. I sold the bike right before the extended warranty expired. The funny thing is I paid less than $5000.00 for it during the fire sale. If I ever bought a KTM I think I would get the extended  warranty. 

• Thumbsup 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

14 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

The only bike I ever bought that I put an extended warranty on was a 2009 Buell 1125r. I forget what I paid for the warranty, but during the time I owned it The T-SHIRT company paid for over $7000.00 in parts and repairs. I sold the bike right before the extended warranty expired. The funny thing is I paid less than $5000.00 for it during the fire sale. If I ever bought a KTM I think I would get the extended  warranty. 

I also had a 2009 Buell 1125R, bought it used after the fire sale. I wish it had extended warranty on it. Probably one of the best looking bikes i ever owned (Arctic white/Blue) but i'm GLAD it's gone!

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.