YES extended warranty?

I also have been getting the YES applications in the mail as my 2019 Tracer GT factory warranty expires next month. I know Yamaha's are known for their legendary reliability but i will probably buy the extended coverage as i plan to keep my bike for long term. I'm not concerned with any engine, drivetrain, or chassis related issues. Just mainly with the modern electronics such as the TFT cluster, LED headlamp and control unit, ABS unit and possibly the fuel pump.

I've been a parts guy for the past 30 yrs of my life. Many years in car dealers (mostly GM some import) and the past decade in heavy trucks (International, Mack, Volvo, and Kenworth). I know a motorcycle has little to do with a car or heavy truck but the more modern they get they tend to use similar electrical components. Over the years mostly what i've seen fail is to do with electronics which are some of the most expensive. I went online and priced a few items for my Tracer and this is what i found.

TFT cluster $973, ABS unit $644, LED headlamp assembly $510, Fuel pump $374. In my opinion any one of those items would be worth the cost of the YES warranty. Paying out of pocket for a TFT cluster sure would sting! 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Premium Member
On 2/9/2021 at 2:33 PM, micah2074 said:

Yes. Bought my 2015 in April of 2016 I got the normal 1 year + 4 years for cheap. My warranty runs out this April. Gertrude will have +105k miles on her ticker. All under warranty. 

Holy Moly that's great I got my 4 year yes For like 350 bucks from some Yamaha dealer in Missouri and I live in Illinois I did it over the phone they primarily sold side by sides in whatever and I just got on the phone in did the deal  Yamaha dealer in Missouri and I live in Illinois I did it over the phone they primarily sold side by sides in whatever and I just got on the phone in did the deal and that was it haven't used it though And haven't used it since everything else Was either a TS B or recall  Sorry for the redundancy crazy new phone Just got the s twenty one

WOW 105000 that's great have you used it!?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, metallion said:

I also had a 2009 Buell 1125R, bought it used after the fire sale. I wish it had extended warranty on it. Probably one of the best looking bikes i ever owned (Arctic white/Blue) but i'm GLAD it's gone!

When Harley bought 50% plus of Buell they were expanding.  So I drove up there in the middle of the winter from Skokie, IL, It's about an hour and a quarter to East Troy to Buell Way.   I interviewed with Erik and then the HD beancounter. Toured the main developmentbuilding and was unimpressed having worked at GD Convair.   Mostly younger guys except for Erik and the lead guy, can't remember his name but Erik wouldn't pay moving expenses because I was too close.  So I said screw it, why take a pay cut for the honour of working on Buell's.

Everybody knows the sad story of going out of business and the fire sale they had and then coming back and then going out of business again and the fire sale, being bought by somebody who never went anywhere with it, and going out of business again and the fire sale. And then his boutique attempt at racing and the final edition that nobody trusted to be around long, and they were right within 2 years when Hero screwed him.  Been to his farm. If Harley Davidson would have devoted what they should have, maybe they could have been somebody today.  

Then again look at where Harleys at now.   And this is as big of harley country as anywhere in the world.

I tried the Ulysses but couldn't get used to the jet fan blower on the rear cylinder but it was a neat bike. The psuedo modified rotax V twin was actually pretty cool too.   People snapped those things up around here when they closed for like 6 grand with a 4 year warranty, then later with the boutique bikes you could have one for 9k custom fitted.

Every time I'm in East Troy, which during riding season is almost every weekend, and I see Buell Way with the old factory right off Rt 120 as you're heading north into town, I think of how phucked up the American motorcycle manufacturing industrial stablishment is.  Indian is our only hope but the FTR1200 variants don't do it for me.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Holy Moly that's great I got my 4 year yes For like 350 bucks from some Yamaha dealer in Missouri and I live in Illinois I did it over the phone they primarily sold side by sides in whatever and I just got on the phone in did the deal  Yamaha dealer in Missouri and I live in Illinois I did it over the phone they primarily sold side by sides in whatever and I just got on the phone in did the deal and that was it haven't used it though And haven't used it since everything else Was either a TS B or recall  Sorry for the redundancy crazy new phone Just got the s twenty one

WOW 105000 that's great have you used it!?

No, I haven’t used it. 
Old Dawg on here has over 200k. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

On 2/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, chitown said:

True but also read the fine print. If the registration is in a state that regulates insurance prices (extended warranties are insurance products) they'll end up refusing to sell it or voiding it and returning your money. WA, CA, a few others....

Thanks for that info. Made me take a look. In June or July this year my first year is up and I was considering the YES warranty. However I will be re-registering the bike from NJ to Florida. I guess Florida is on that list after reading the "Note" on this Yamaha plan purchase page at the bottom just above Exclusions.

Edit: And then I find this so maybe Florida is not on that list...

Blue Lives Matter

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, metallion said:

I also had a 2009 Buell 1125R, bought it used after the fire sale. I wish it had extended warranty on it. Probably one of the best looking bikes i ever owned (Arctic white/Blue) but i'm GLAD it's gone!

Same color as the one I had metallion. I will say I did love that bike when it ran, I just got tired of coming home on the back of a flat bed tow truck. Harley paid for 4 two truck rides for the Buell and twice I just took back  on my trailer. I just got to the point I could not trust the bike.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

18 hours ago, Tango said:

Thanks for that info. Made me take a look. In June or July this year my first year is up and I was considering the YES warranty. However I will be re-registering the bike from NJ to Florida. I guess Florida is on that list after reading the "Note" on this Yamaha plan purchase page at the bottom just above Exclusions.

Edit: And then I find this so maybe Florida is not on that list...

Buy it before you re-register and you should be able to get a deeply discounted price and it's all above board. 

Fremont Motor Sports in Florence, CO is a Yamaha dealer. They'll sell you YES at a good discount -- if you answer no to the question: do you live in CA, WA or FL? 

If the answer is yes, they will tell you they are obligated to sell it by the price established by the YES administrators with that state's insurance regulators and the state will punish Yamaha who will in turn punish the selling dealer. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, micah2074 said:

When I say look on the web I’m talking about buying YES from a Yamaha dealer online. Any Yamaha dealer can sell you the YES. Some will for much cheaper than others. 
I never purchase insurance expecting to recoup the cost. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear... everything I am saying matches with the above except "cheaper".  See the post just above. Fremont is also a Kawasaki dealer. In 2010 purchased a Good Times extended warranty from them at a deep discount. Life was grand :)

In 2015 contacted them about the FJ-09 and they explained why they could no longer discount if selling to CA, FL, & WA. 

The recouping cost was mentioned because that's exactly how folks market extended warranties. "It will pay for itself..." :)

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:11 PM, chitown said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear... everything I am saying matches with the above except "cheaper".  See the post just above. Fremont is also a Kawasaki dealer. In 2010 purchased a Good Times extended warranty from them at a deep discount. Life was grand :)

In 2015 contacted them about the FJ-09 and they explained why they could no longer discount if selling to CA, FL, & WA. 

The recouping cost was mentioned because that's exactly how folks market extended warranties. "It will pay for itself..." :)

Just got my YES letter.  After some research, i found Yamaha Part Nation.  i will commit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, Toddtr said:

Never buy warranties, if the bike needs it then why buy the bike? Can an anomaly happen.....yes but........

Correct!  If they thought the bike was going to break,  they wouldn't sell you a cheaper fix. 

• Premium Member

Meh, it’s a voluntary insurance policy. I put 100k miles on my bike before my YES ran out. To me it was worth it. 

Let’s go Brandon

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I am the first owner of my 2019 Niken after Yamaha used it as a demo bike. It does not qualify for the YES warranty as it is outside of the 1 year Yamaha factory warranty. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any vehicle and usually consider them a waste of good money. However I'm considering a 2 year used motorcycle warranty only because of the uniqueness of the Nikens parts up front. Anyone got experience with such warranties especially a used bike warranty from the YES people?