Sargent Seat for FJ-09

• Premium Member
Dang, just missed out on this deal.  You're killing me smalls...........  Offer expired.  I had thought I signed up for their email offers, but guess not. 

Couple of years ago when I ordered my Sargent I missed the deadline. I asked them for the discount and they gave it to me.

Let’s go Brandon

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dang, just missed out on this deal.  You're killing me smalls...........  Offer expired.  I had thought I signed up for their email offers, but guess not. 

Couple of years ago when I ordered my Sargent I missed the deadline. I asked them for the discount and they gave it to me.
Just emailed them or called?  Thanks for the info.

Well, I emailed and asked about a veteran discount, as online it only states active and retired.  And yes, they do give a veteran discount also.  So, just ordered one by calling them, since there isn't really a discount code for it.  They didn't actually say what the discount is, but that's ok.  Any discount is appreciated.   :)

Was just curious what the return policy of a Sargent seat is if anyone knows. I had my stock seat done over custom by a local place. Its very cool and a big upgrade but i was looking at the Sargent and I like its low profile.
2016 FJ09

Thats insane they let you do that and thats pretty awesome but after seeing pics and reading about how flat it is I will stick with my custom seat I guess. It might not be as pretty and I am on the balls of my feet but it has alot of extra padding and is pretty darn comfy. As they say function over form.

Was just curious what the return policy of a Sargent seat is if anyone knows. I had my stock seat done over custom by a local place. Its very cool and a big upgrade but i was looking at the Sargent and I like its low profuile.
I returned my Sargent seat after two modifications that did not meet my needs and they gave me back all of my money... The first modification was because the stock seat had no foam, second modification was to add soft foam on the top, that's when they said they had enough of me and gave me all my money back... So you know you can get your money back if you push.

My personal custom modification to the stock seat is way better than Sergeant seat but I will only say the one positive thing about Sargent seat is that it is very low to the ground and if you don't mind no padding you can put your feet flat on the ground alternatively if you ride a lot you might need some padding there like myself.

2016 FJ09

• Premium Member
My sargent seat has plenty of padding. I ride a lot. More 500+ mile days than I can count. I'm attempting a bunburner gold Saturday and wouldn't even think about it on the stock plank. The sargent seat is my favorite aftermarket part.

Let’s go Brandon

So far, the Sargent feels good. It is a bit different shape than stock and a bit more firm. Padding seems ok, may be a little thin. Definitely feels a bit low compared to stock. I am on the low setting, may try the higher setting next ride. I figure if I am riding and I forget about the seat, then the seat works (Sargent seat does this!).

I am a motocross guy, so I tend to like riding forward on the seat. I will try a few more rides and give ride reports. I have only been out for about 1 hour so far.  I am a 6'1" and 195lbs, if that helps.  I plan to disassemble the stock seat and try a few different design ideas to see if I can improve the feel.  Maybe some different layers of foam with varying density.

On longer rides, I tend to try different positions on the seat.  The Sargent seat has a nice spot you can move back to and ride further back.  May need to play with the bar position to make this work better for me.

Here is a chart from the Sargent site that shows the seat/foam design and the different heights:

foam_chart.jpg

Sargent seat owners.

Do most people notice that the Sargent seat results in a slightly (0.3") lower seat height as advertised? I find the idea of a wider seat is ok but hope it doesn't affect leg reach, effectively offsetting any reduction in seat height.

I want a better seat than stock and I also would like better reach for flat footing. I hope that the Sargent seat will be more comfortable than stock and also reduce my need to lower the bike. If I still need to lower the bike it's ok too, just wondering what folks think.

Do you prefer the slippery or grippy surface more? I don't want heat. What are my options for the rider seat to start with?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Sargent seat owners. 
Do most people notice that the Sargent seat results in a slightly (0.3") lower seat height as advertised? I find the idea of a wider seat is ok but hope it doesn't affect leg reach, effectively offsetting any reduction in seat height.

I want a better seat than stock and I also would like better reach for flat footing. I hope that the Sargent seat will be more comfortable than stock and also reduce my need to lower the bike. If I still need to lower the bike it's ok too, just wondering what folks think.

Do you prefer the slippery or grippy surface more? I don't want heat. What are my options for the rider seat to start with?
I originally went with the "carbon FX" but it was too slick for me and I sent it back to get the cover with more grip (performance plus, I think DTX material).

As far as the width.. it's really only wider toward the back of the seat. I definitely feel like it's lower than stock even with the width... also if you slide forward on the seat when at a stop to get your feet down, the front portion of the seat is just as narrow as stock.

I'm slightly above 6' with my boots on and can flat foot the FJ, having said that, 90% of the time I only put 1 leg down and lean the bike slightly when stopped. The seat height is more of a factor if your sitting on the bike and trying to walk it back, but there again I think the Sargent feels lower than stock.

I hope this helps.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I Also like the central relief area which can be useful for many reasons (prostate, hemmeroids, tailbone injuries...lol). I find the stock seat makes my crotch area feel cramped in general. Do you find the Sargent is better for that?

I think I will give it a try. It's likely the solution I am looking for. I think somebody posted they got the "regular" less expensive version seat with the grippy cover, maybe that was you smiley.png  I don't know if I want the heat options.

Anybody else with experience regarding the seat surfaces?
Sticky vs grippy?

thanks for the feedback

smiley.png

Sargent seat owners. 

I originally went with the "carbon FX" but it was too slick for me and I sent it back to get the cover with more grip (performance plus, I think DTX material). 
As far as the width.. it's really only wider toward the back of the seat. I definitely feel like it's lower than stock even with the width... also if you slide forward on the seat when at a stop to get your feet down, the front portion of the seat is just as narrow as stock.

I'm slightly above 6' with my boots on and can flat foot the FJ, having said that, 90% of the time I only put 1 leg down and lean the bike slightly when stopped. The seat height is more of a factor if your sitting on the bike and trying to walk it back, but there again I think the Sargent feels lower than stock.

I hope this helps.

2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• 2 weeks later...
How "grippy" is the Performance plus or DTX material you ended up with? Can you still move around fairly easily with the grippy seat cover surface you chose? I imagine you found the original seat cover material slippery and this one is more "normal". Or... could you compare the seat cover materials, the Carbon FX and the performance plus/DTX material to the stock seat cover material? 

How "grippy" is the Performance plus or DTX material you ended up with? Can you still move around fairly easily with the grippy seat cover surface you chose? I imagine you found the original seat cover material slippery and this one is more "normal". Or... could you compare the seat cover materials, the Carbon FX and the performance plus/DTX material to the stock seat cover material? 

The CarbonFX was ok with jeans, but when I wore my textile riding pants I slid all over the place. The DTX is more of a normal texture provides grip but not excessive. The Performance Plus seat has panels on each side of the front of the seat that have a more rubberized feel. Those panels are very grippy. I don't really notice them to be honest.

My suggestion is to save the money and order the standard performance seat with the DTX cover. I think the most benefit from the grippy sides is noticed if you like to knee drag or stand while riding.... maybe slightly during heavy braking too but it doesn't stand out in my mind.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The CarbonFX was ok with jeans, but when I wore my textile riding pants I slid all over the place. The DTX is more of a normal texture provides grip but not excessive. The Performance Plus seat has panels on each side of the front of the seat that have a more rubberized feel. Those panels are very grippy. I don't really notice them to be honest. 
My suggestion is to save the money and order the standard performance seat with the DTX cover. I think the most benefit from the grippy sides is noticed if you like to knee drag or stand while riding.... maybe slightly during heavy braking too but it doesn't stand out in my mind.
Cool. Thanks. I think that makes sense. The regular performance seat in the dtx material is probably my best bet.

So you figure with jean riding pants I will not find the dtx material too sticky?

thanks again

:)

Archived