Sargent Seat for FJ-09

...Is Sargent, the obvious choice to go?
No.... it's very subjective, like the screen, bar risers etc., so you're always taking a bit of a chance. I like it, and many on here do too... and general opinion suggests that the stock seat kinda sucks (some don't mind it at all), so there isn't an 'obvious' choice.
Exactly my thoughts. I really like the Sargent too.. will it be right for everyone? Probably not. All you can do is look around and see which option appeals to you. Style, price, reviews, etc.. it all plays into the decision.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, 
As I can read in the post, can it be assumed then, than the Sargent seat is far better than the OEM comfort seat? I'm 1.91 mts, 120 kgs.

Is Sargent, the obvious choice to go?
I got the Sargent and can't say I'm overly satisfied.  The seat foam is less thick and it feels like I'm sitting on the seat pan within 50 miles. However, I haven't tried to contact them about possible improvements.  There are several posts from others who were not happy initially, but after contacting Sargent, they were able to send in their seats for adjustments.  I need to do that. The seat is wider and definitely works better if you sit back.  I tend to stay forward and have to consciously think to slide back.

Just for those who are on the fence looking in - Sargent is running a discount code to the July 16 that drops the price of the front only by about $50.

• 2 weeks later...
2,500km in and... my butt likes. One thing though, and it could be unrelated... ever since my SS1000 trip on the then brand new Sargent DTX, I picked up a wicked fatigue in my left shoulder blade and lower neck area, about an hour or so into the ride. My Chiropractor is having a field day with me every week, and things are improving I think, but it's a slug. I might swap seats to see if I can nail the cause. Hope that won't be it... would really suck. Fingers crossed this is just a coincidence.
I too have suffered chronic shoulder pain when and for some days after riding any distance (rhs only), but it's now resolved after ultrasound-guided cortisone injections.   Could it be related to a change of angle of attack - arm to 'bar - arising from a small difference in seat height and/ or angle? 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2,500km in and... my butt likes. One thing though, and it could be unrelated... ever since my SS1000 trip on the then brand new Sargent DTX, I picked up a wicked fatigue in my left shoulder blade and lower neck area, about an hour or so into the ride. My Chiropractor is having a field day with me every week, and things are improving I think, but it's a slug. I might swap seats to see if I can nail the cause. Hope that won't be it... would really suck. Fingers crossed this is just a coincidence.
You might investigate you windshield too.  I bought a National VStream for my FJR just before leaving for Alaska.  On day two, I developed a pain in the back of my neck/shoulders.  The pain you are talking about, I have, but I think is because of a lack of riding.  I have been in the ICU too much this year and lost to much muscle tone.  My back is telling me to do something to improve it.  Right near the left shoulder blade.  Sound familiar?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...
You can add me to the list of satisfied Sargent seat owners. I recently purchased a 2017 FJ-09 and found the OEM seat terrible, giving me pain within 20 minutes of riding. I broke down and purchased a Sargent seat. After a week of riding with the new seat I can honestly say it makes a huge difference for me in that I no longer have the pain 20 minutes into a ride. I completed a 2 hour ride with the Sargent seat and was able to erase any pending discomfort with a quick shift of my body. Now i need to address the buzz in the handlebars at highway speeds, any suggestions?
20170808_190950.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have to echo the positive consensus with the Sargent seat. I only just received my seat and my initial impression is that the Sargent product is of the best quality available.

The seat fit/finish and feel is top quality and in my opinion (as compared to Corbin, OEM "Comfort," and Effex seats on other bikes) is superior to the alternatives.

• 4 weeks later...
I have to echo the positive consensus with the Sargent seat. I only just received my seat and my initial impression is that the Sargent product is of the best quality available. 
The seat fit/finish and feel is top quality and in my opinion (as compared to Corbin, OEM "Comfort," and Effex seats on other bikes) is superior to the alternatives.

For the buzz you need some heavy bar ends. I used HVMP.

• 4 months later...
Just to let everyone know, Sargent Seats will have another discount available right around Daytona Bike Week, so early March 2018 time frame, if you can wait. It gives you a certain percentage off the retail price for the front seat. I may wait until then to order mine.

• Premium Member
P1030818.jpg

$180+ for a kit.  I purchased a new, front only custom Sargent World Sport Performance + for $250 shipped.  It has the DTX seat material, Gripzones sides, welt and tag delete and raised nose (to minimize wrinkling and sliding forward.  My third Sargent saddle after first trying a Corbin, which after I moded it was OK but still was way too heavy and hard.  I've sewn and upholstered my own saddles but after the time and cost is added, the cost of a Sargent on sale is a bargain. 
20161120_190615.jpg
20160812_190029.jpg20160812_190040.jpg20160812_190913.jpg20160812_190929.jpg20160812_190943.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived