Sargent Seat for FJ-09

I just got mine in today, I'll take the first ride tomorrow when I go to work. The in the garage sitting test was promising! It feels so much more comfortable then stock and doesn't pitch my toward the tank.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@duhs10 I already bought my (fresh out of crate) 2016 FJ two weeks ago. :) Rationally I should have bought the used one, but the pull of the silver/blue was too strong. My 2016 has the revised oil sump though, so that totally makes up for the couple grand I would have saved on the used one right? ;)

@wordsmith The Bagster does look nice, but I don't see any way to get one in the US. Only readily available options here seem to be Corbin (too bulky, don't like), Seat Concepts, or Sargent. I know a few other US owners have taken their bikes to "boutique" custom seat shops, but they all seem to be in California and I'm 3000 miles away on the East coast.

I have had the Sargent seat for about 3 weeks now an put about 500 miles on it. I'm not happy with the seat as is. Still pushes me forward into tank. Called Sargent and they offered to rework the seat for $90 plus $20 to ship it back to them. Sending it back for refund. 

I have had the Sargent seat for about 3 weeks now an put about 500 miles on it. I'm not happy with the seat as is. Still pushes me forward into tank. Called Sargent and they offered to rework the seat for $90 plus $20 to ship it back to them. Sending it back for refund. 
I'm having Sargent re-cover mine with the Performance Plus material (ordered the Carbon FX initially). I was very happy with the seat beforehand, but it was a little too slick with my textile riding pants. I was expecting to have to pay to have the seat re-covered, but when I asked how much it would cost, they offered to re-cover it free of charge (front and rear) as if it was a warranty claim.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The Bagster does look nice, but I don't see any way to get one in the US. Only readily available options here seem to be Corbin (too bulky, don't like), Seat Concepts, or Sargent. I know a few other US owners have taken their bikes to "boutique" custom seat shops, but they all seem to be in California and I'm 3000 miles away on the East coast.
That surprises me somewhat, ss, as one of their business objectives declared on their extensive website is to extendoverseas.   In a spirit of friendly cooperation I have put enquiries in-place for you!   Stay tuned.. [em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

First ride on the seat today and it was comfy, rode for 1 hour. Still has the same forward seating position as the stock seat but that's ok with me. Doing a 4 day trip in 2 weeks so will see how it goes on the longer rides. I was worried about the seat being to low in the low position with seat specs being lower but it seems to be the same height as my feet are at same position on the ground (seems to me anyway) Will try the higher position as well to try it out.

I haven't had a chance to do any long rides yet since getting the seat but I've been commuting on it.

I like the slightly lower seat height, I prefer to run it on the higher setting because on the OEM seat the low setting cracked my fake CF panels... and I like having the extra legroom. That plus the slicker material make it easier to move around when coming to a stop. One annoying thing is that the seat pops after taking off from a stop, the bike is still a little tall for me so I put one foot down. It must torque the pan a little in the locking area so it pops when shifting my body weight back after taking off.

Comfort is much improved, the stock seat was okay for an hour or two after that things got uncomfortable. Even with MUCH stiffer foam it feels much more supportive and comfortable and the contouring for your thighs and butt bones is appreciated. It still has a forward lean but less then stock and I have much less back pain after lane splitting an hour home. I have no idea why they made the back of the seat so wide though, they seriously made it for the fattest of asses.

One thing I was bummed about, and it's kind of dumb, is that it didn't come with a flashlight. That and the storage compartment must only be for the passenger seat but it's still listed in the "front only" feature section. Oh well, I did get a hat though!

• Premium Member
Met a fellow FJ-09 owner two weeks ago at Neptune's Net. He had the Sargent and loved it. Ordered mine last week. I can go about 3 hours on the stocker and be good. After that pain starts in. Waiting for delivery!

• Premium Member
Met a fellow FJ-09 owner two weeks ago at Neptune's Net. He had the Sargent and loved it. Ordered mine last week. I can go about 3 hours on the stocker and be good. After that pain starts in. Waiting for delivery!
Any chance I could meet up with one of those fjo9 Sargent seat owners and actually see what one looks like in person? I can meet near Neptune's Nest On Any Sunday or most any weekday... we're talking Neptune's Nest on PCH in Southern California correct?
Not sure if the person I saw at Neptune's Net is on here. I ordered a Sargent last week, so I should have mine in a couple of weeks. I am in Pasadena, not too big on the snake so I don't get out that way often. But we could arrange something.

• 3 weeks later...
I am considering a sargents front only with no colored welt. I'm a little confused by the options.

The plus just means a more grippy material? What about the inserts and such, are they a good thing?

Anyone bought the heated version?

Also I will miss the 1/3 inch height as my knees already find a big difference in longer rides comfort between the stock low and high position. The low just doesn't work for my knees. And the sargent high position is between the oem low and high.

Seems like the Sargent is a pretty good value and nice to be able to buy front only as I won't be riding two up on this bike.

I am considering a sargents front only with no colored welt. I'm a little confused by the options. 
The plus just means a more grippy material? What about the inserts and such, are they a good thing?

Anyone bought the heated version?

Also I will miss the 1/3 inch height as my knees already find a big difference in longer rides comfort between the stock low and high position. The low just doesn't work for my knees. And the sargent high position is between the oem low and high.

Seems like the Sargent is a pretty good value and nice to be able to buy front only as I won't be riding two up on this bike.

The only difference wit the plus is the cover material. I found the Carbon FX material to be too slick with my textile pants so had them recover it with the plus material. You can also order the standard world performance seat with the DTX material. I do not have the heated version. [br]
I have not noticed a difference in the hight of the seat. Just keep it in the high position and I doubt you will notice. [br]
Overall a huge improvement in my opinion.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Received my seat a couple of weeks ago and have gone on two rides with it. Yesterday when I got home, I realized I did not stand up a single time, the seat was that comfortable. My butt is very happy with the purchase!

• 4 weeks later...
Got my sargents seat.  Not as comfortable as I had hoped, but I understand it's hard to please everyone's bottom. And the salesman told me their goal was to make the FJ seat as low as they could.  I'd have prefered a touch more padding to allow the seat surface to interface with my butt better and to allow the seat to give a little give due to the harsh stock suspension. And my knees miss the lost seat to footpeg height as compared to stock.

It is a huge improvement over stock, though.  Can't really understand why the stock seat is "domed" which puts even more pressure in the middle than necessary, and it's narrow to begin with.

I noticed the new seat is contacting below on spots other than the rubber supports.  Given the issue the FJ has with the side panels breaking from the stock seat contacting it in the low position (and my 2016 OEM seat does touch) I am a keeping an eye out for issues.

Here's a couple snaps that show how my new seat is touching something even in higher position.

sargent2.jpg

sargent1.jpg

Archived