Sargent Seat for FJ-09

Thanks for the pics.

I also noticed that the seat is lower than stock.  I will be raising the seat to the highest position to gain some leg clearance as well to prevent any contact of the seat with the frame. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spent some more time trying to figure out issues with Sargent seat.

The forward two places that are contacting the sargent pan is: When the seat is in the high position the pan touches the edge of the step on the piece of bike plastic just aft of where the front rubber stops are supported. The pan has a lot of flex (on purpose probably) and the pan ridges press very hard on that edge of the step, enough to deform the pan edge. Perhaps just relieving the pan edge could solve the problem.

I don't see when the other more rearward contact is happening. Maybe came that way for all I know. I'll keep an eye out but for now I am not concerned.

But my Sargent seat pan has a bigger issue that does concern me. WIth the seat in the high position (which I HAVE to do for my knees) and the rubber supports all in place, the back of the seat is too high and the location pin isn't even in the hole. I have to press on the back hard to get the latch anywhere close to latching. And the biggest problem I see with this issue is the location pin on the seat pan travels into and out of it's location hole depending on whether I am sitting on the bike.

This is already starting to chew away the pan location pin as I sit and unsit the seat.  Made worse because the pin isn't always lined up exactly with the hole which normally is not a problem.

I've included two pics, one of the gap at the location hole pin with all weight off the seat but the rubber stops in place and the second how my pin is getting chewed in only a few rides. The wear at the locating pin is actually worse than in the pic and would before long trash that pin.

Any one else finding their sargent seat doesn't have their rear pan location pin in the hole unless their is weight on the seat?

sargent4.jpg

sargent3.jpg

Its possible I am doing something wrong but so far I can't see anything I can do differently and the OEM seat pan lays flat with weight or not so that location pin simply sits in the hole and registers the seat in the correct forward/rear position.  I am open to suggestions....

bgigharbor, that is exactly how mine is. I also use it in the high position, and I observed the same wear points and the location pin/hole gap as you have. It is also chewed up a bit on mine.

I suspect that it is meant to flex a bit, and it inserts in the hole when weight is on the seat. I think it is odd, but I've just accepted it, since it doesn't seem like a critical failure.

bgigharbor, that is exactly how mine is. I also use it in the high position, and I observed the same wear points and the location pin/hole gap as you have. It is also chewed up a bit on mine.  
I suspect that it is meant to flex a bit, and it inserts in the hole when weight is on the seat. I think it is odd, but I've just accepted it, since it doesn't seem like a critical failure.
Crazyivan, 

Something I noticed just now is that on mine if I sit on the Sargents seat in the normal position the rear pan register pin is actually not pressed down into the hole at all by my weight.  Only by pressing down on the seat at the very back (by hand or butt) does the rear of the pan flex down and the pin seats into it's hole. I had incorrectly assumed that once I sat down the pin was seated.  Nope, it's doesn't even move with me sitting in the normal position.

I agree it's something we will have to live with. I think it's largely due to issues brought out by the Yamaha design for seat support and latch (funky) and Sargents design of the very flexible seat pan. The real fix would have the sargent seat pan preformed with the pin in the hole already even without being pressed down.  The seat pan could still flex.  Basically I think my Sargent seat pan is not quite the correct shape for my FJ.

For now I put a little gaffers tape in the pin to slow its destruction.  If anyone comes up with a simple way to keep the pan location pin more intact over time please post. I think on mine eventually the pin will wear to the point of failure.

Sounds like the Sargent is a definite upgrade over stock for the rider, but haven't seen anyone post about passenger comfort. Anyone gotten feedback from passengers after a long ride, and what they thought compared to stock? Asked the same question about the Corbin too.

I broke down and order a heated front only plus with no welt a few minutes ago.
Can you post some pictures of the no welt please? 
Sargent Seat with no welt, 'plus' material.  (edit: I don't have the pillion upgrade obviously, and it's a little dirty, I drag my foot across it sometimes getting on and off., here it is in the 'high position'.)  
asoPioG.jpg
1waGt58.jpg
jPUCaKt.jpg
OBqg8SR.jpg
4ENPNgg.jpg

• 2 months later...
Still haven't had any long distant/multiple day ride reports. Who has done a 4-5K ride? Please report how you feel about the Sargent seat. After all, it will take 4-5K to kind of break it in. They even get better after about 10K. Need those reports. Thanks.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Still haven't had any long distant/multiple day ride reports. Who has done a 4-5K ride? Please report how you feel about the Sargent seat. After all, it will take 4-5K to kind of break it in. They even get better after about 10K. Need those reports. Thanks.

I've got about 3k miles on my Sargent seat total. During those 3k miles I've had 2, approximately 8 hour day rides, totaling about 750 miles of mountain roads. To me, a big improvement over stock I couldn't make it more that an hour or 2 on the stock seat before pretty serious discomfort set in.

I will say that on my first "long" ride (not that these truly qualify to @redfjniner as long rides :-P ) I wore only jeans and I still got a bit of discomfort on my upper thighs after about 4-5 hours in the saddle. My second day trip I wore gym shorts under some riding pants and did not notice the discomfort at all. Granted there was about 2k miles of daily commuting between the first trip and the second trip, so I'm sure the seat had broken in a little more.

Just thought I would share. I agree with @redfjniner .... Who has put some serious miles on one of these seats?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 5 months later...
I am reviving an old thread with some questions for you guys. I have ridden my FJ09 for less than 100 miles and I don't like how the seat pitches you forward into the tank. I picked up a set of Rox risers thinking it would solve the problem and while it helps the seat angle is still the issue. Will the Sargent seat alleviate this issue? I think one guy in this thread said it didn't so I wanted to hear more about it. I don't want to dump 300+ bucks on a seat that is still going to push my nads into the tank. I had a nightmare getting a seat from Top Seller for my FZ6 but that seat was amazing but I am not ordering from France again.
2016 FJ09

• Premium Member
I am reviving an old thread with some questions for you guys. I have ridden my FJ09 for less than 100 miles and I don't like how the seat pitches you forward into the tank. I picked up a set of Rox risers thinking it would solve the problem and while it helps the seat angle is still the issue. Will the Sargent seat alleviate this issue? I think one guy in this thread said it didn't so I wanted to hear more about it. I don't want to dump 300+ bucks on a seat that is still going to push my nads into the tank. I had a nightmare getting a seat from Top Seller for my FZ6 but that seat was amazing but I am not ordering from France again.

I've got about 15,000 miles on my Sargent. I can't say that it pitches me forward. I stay pretty much on the rear of it. I think it's one of the best aftermarket parts I've put on the FJ.

Let’s go Brandon

I have no problem.  No forward thrust at all.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I have no problem with mine "pitching me forward" either. I would recommend ordering it with the DTX instead of the CarbonFX cover. The CarbonFX looked awesome, but it was way to slick for me and if you are concerned with sliding forward you might not like that.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived