Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Changed the oil and filter and went for a quick run today and pleased to report that all is well. I now have a lovely light, smooth and positive clutch feel...

Congrats on a successful project, and thanks for a nice writeup and photos. 👌

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Have a talk to Ride Dynamics, he re valved my stock one and Im happy with it.

@jdavis, Interesting.  Can I ask how much that cost as a comparison to a new shock?

Edited by dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Just a quick follow up on my recent slipper clutch install.  I've since been for a couple of longer runs and have to say that the experience is different from the original clutch in several ways.

In summary:-

•  light clutch lever pull
  • clutch engagement feels smoother and more linear
  • rear wheel and chain 'chatter' is virtually eliminated on downshifting
  • gear changes just feel smoother

Initially I wasn't sure that I would achieve enough of a benefit from the excercise but now that it's installed I'm glad I did.

If you have an earlier model like me and your clutch is perhaps due for a service (or not!) then it's worth considering making the change/upgrade IMHO.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just a quick follow up on my recent slipper clutch install.  I've since been for a couple of longer runs and have to say that the experience is different from the original clutch in several ways.

In summary:-

•  light clutch lever pull
  • clutch engagement feels smoother and more linear
  • rear wheel and chain 'chatter' is virtually eliminated on downshifting
  • gear changes just feel smoother

I also like that you can drop a gear w/o braking (5k or below) and not upset the rear traction. It works awesome in the twisties!!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

I waited until now to install the slipper clutch upgrade on my 2015 FJ-09. One thing that I'll add to this thread is that the pre-2017 clutch has two friction discs with thinner tabs than the rest. They are the third and fourth from the inside and labeled '7" in the service manual. Those discs are not used with the slipper clutch.

Clutch FJ-09.jpg

So when you replace three discs from your 2015 clutch pack with the three new discs from the upgrade kit, you can take out the two with thinner tabs and replace them with the two outer friction discs that you replace with new discs from the kit. You also replace the inner-most friction disc with a new disc from the kit.

By the way, after 36K miles my clutch pack still measured the full thickness. I didn't need to use the 2.3mm clutch plate that I purchased in case I needed to make up for wear in the 6 re-used friction discs.

• Thanks 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
On 8/20/2019 at 12:27 AM, dazzler24 said:

OK, I've got one of these coming.  You're right, a $40 clutch holding tool vs the risk of damaging and replacing a $600 part is a no brainer.706886475_EBCCT020.thumb.jpg.25ab8b2e99097ce53b8f037576df95d5.jpg

I used a Motion Pro 08-0008 clutch holder tool for my slipper clutch installation. It did not work very well for me. The jaws are larger than the slots of the clutch boss, so it did not fit securely. It kept slipping off when I applied pressure to the breaker bar and it marred the edge of the "teeth" on the boss each time. I wish that I had purchased the tool shown above instead. 

The poor function of the Motion Pro tool is the main reason that I abandoned the breaker bar technique and went to the air impact gun. The impact gun took the boss nut off within about ten seconds

• Like 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• 1 month later...

just about to get my mt09 tracer booked in for the xsr slipper clutch mod but need to order the kits 1st, just wanted to make sure its the correct one before i spend my hard earned,

https://www.partshark.com/product/53311/xsr900-slipper-clutch-for-fz-09

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, jobby said:

just about to get my mt09 tracer booked in for the xsr slipper clutch mod but need to order the kits 1st, just wanted to make sure its the correct one before i spend my hard earned,

https://www.partshark.com/product/53311/xsr900-slipper-clutch-for-fz-09

Yep, that is the same one I bought, it even looks to be the same price that I paid 3 years ago.

• 4 months later...

@betoney I am encountering the problem that you describe with the push lever assembly.  What did you do to solve this?

-The push lever assembly (where the clutch cable connects to) gets aligned triangle to dot when there is tension on the arm, if you align the two marks when there is free play, you will adjust your lever all the way out and will have zero clutch cable pull.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, dundee said:

@betoney I am encountering the problem that you describe with the push lever assembly.  What did you do to solve this?

-The push lever assembly (where the clutch cable connects to) gets aligned triangle to dot when there is tension on the arm, if you align the two marks when there is free play, you will adjust your lever all the way out and will have zero clutch cable pull.

I know you've addressed your question to betoney and he will answer I'm sure, but if this helps in the mean time then......

If you are talking about aligning the marks when replacing the cover then here is something from one of my posts when doing the slipper clutch upgrade -

"I took a photo of the clutch actuator (pull lever) position just before it released from the pull rod when I was removing the cover and I'm glad I did as you must have it in that same position when reassembling for the alignment marks to realign."

5.thumb.jpg.c409fc68968b9f47f3a1d8509a9bd8b9.jpg

Is that what you are referring to?

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, dundee said:

The clutch pull arm can be oriented on the spline shaft one tooth at a time.  If it is too loose, remove the arm and move it one tooth at a time outward from the engine, if it is too tight, move the arm inward one tooth at a time.

The adjuster on the bottom of the cable I refer to as a 'coarse' adjustment and the adjuster on the bar end as a 'fine' adjustment.  I always start with both adjusters at their minimum and like to keep the lever end adjuster no more than the middle of the adjustment range, usually within the first 1/3.

• Thumbsup 1