Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

@kik thanks for the updated (and verified) parts list.. I'm considering doing this in the future.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Please note:  With red locktite you need to use heat to release it before undoing the fastener.  No heat means a risk of damaging the threads when you try to remove the nut.  Just heat with a heat gun or propane torch until you see the locktite 'pop'and then the nut will come off normally.

If someone sends me the parts I'll make a YouTube DIY for the procedure, haha!  :P 

:D

Okay so what your saying is that I send you the parts bring my bike over and you will put it together for me while I drink a beer and hold the camera for you to post on youtube? You got a deal.

If someone sends me the parts I'll make a YouTube DIY for the procedure, haha!  :P 

:D
Okay so what your saying is that I send you the parts bring my bike over and you will put it together for me while I drink a beer and hold the camera for you to post on youtube? You got a deal.
Bring enough beer for me and you got a deal. 
Edit: Scotch is also acceptable

I feel now this is a trap for you to get me drunk so you can put the clutch on your bike. Lol. I would diffently take you up on the offer but it looks like you live quite a ways form the pacific northwest.
That's okay you can still send the clutch and some beer via UPS and I"ll make the video so you can see how to do it.  :P

• 3 months later...
I took the parts list to Mike at Southbay Motorsports in Chula Vista, CA. Parts about $300 and labor only $200. It is the best $500 you can spend on an FJ09 shy of the ohlins suspension upgrades at about $1,800. Since I bought my bike used in 2015, I am a happy camper! 
Curious how many miles your bike has and was your clutch ever noisy an if so did the slipper install solve it? 
In the past 1500 miles (now at about 11k or so mine has started sounding quite gravely/coarse, so much so that I can feel it in the frame and footpegs at light load.  Trying to figure out if its the clutch basket or CCT.

So my bike had about 7000 miles on it when I put the slipper clutch parts on. I now have about 5000 miles (12,000 total) on the slipper clutch and still love it. Maybe I'm not as discerning as everyone else when it comes to the amount of slipping but it seems to work great and has saved my butt going into turns hard and dropping gears. The lighter clutch pull and the smooth pull shifting is all very much worth it !

• 2 months later...
Some pictures from my slipper clutch install. I ordered a whole XSR Kit from Yamaha as my stock clutch had 25k miles and was beginning to release in such a way that I wasn't convinced all the components were good.

IMG_5366.jpg

These different stacks show the "groups" of the different parts listed in the Service manual. The 1 narrow friction plate on the LH side of the pic is the same as the 2 outermost friction plates on the RH side of the picture, or outermost clutch plates (installed nearest the pressureplate). Notice how the inside diameter is BIGGER (and the plate is thinner) than the rest of the friction plates.
It MUST be installed first, as it is narrow by design to accommodate the judder spring and washer. 
The 2nd stack is the group of similar middle plates.  
The clutch plate by itself with my "chickenscratch" sharpie marking is the plate you switch out to get the clutch pack stack measurement into spec. There are 3 different part numbers for this plate depending on thickness.

The reason I was in here in the first place a second time was to swap out that plate from a 2.0mm to a 2.3mm. 

IMG_5367.jpg

This pic attempts to show the judder spring and washer installed first, before the narrow friction plate.  Stock 15-16 FJ clutches DO NOT use these 2 parts they must be ADDED when converting to the slipper clutch.

Also a good shot of the Nut which must be removed and replaced when installing a new clutch basket.  It has loctite on it, and is double-staked to the input shaft of the transmission.

***While I think of it DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT!!! use an impact gun to loosen this nut ONCE you have converted it to a slipper clutch! (when removing the stock FJ09 clutch nut you can get away with it if you are careful) There are some cases where people have used impacts to loosen the clutch nut on R6 and R1 sportbikes with clipper clutches and have trashed the threads of that shaft. which would then require pulling the engine, splitting the cases and replacement of the transmission shaft.  Not a job you want to undertake - especially if you damaged it by attempting to remove with an impact gun.*** The design of the R6/R1 slipper clutch is a little different, but better to be safe then sorry. 

IMG_5368.jpg

The outermost friction plate MUST be installed in a different Slot of the primary gear than ALL the other plates.

IMG_5369.jpg

This is the easiest way I found to get everything to line up correctly. If you install the outermost friction plate and the last clutch plate onto the pressure plate, and then install this partial assy into the clutch basket it is MUCH easier to get everything to mesh together correctly.  Some wiggling may be required.

IMG_5370.jpg

Final Assy Shot.  Note the position of the serrated teeth which MUST mesh with the cover as it is installed. A dab of grease applied to the area where it sits in the bearing helps keep it in place as you install the cover.

Hopefully this will help to clarify some of the steps you need to perform. The service manual pictures are a bit vague.

-Skip

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member
Has anybody tried installing a slipper clutch from a 2017 Yamaha Tracer on a 15/16 , perhaps its easier than installing one from the XSR ??
It should be the same parts, and neither option should be easier than the other as its a very simple process. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***