Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

I am assuming that the XSR900 service manual will give a range for the thickness of the clutch pack hence the varying thickness steels. It is definitely on my to do list though, especially after my re flashing to get more engine braking. It doesn't look like he uses a new clutch cover? That'll save a bit.

I've compiled the parts list and pricing. I haven't done the upgrade yet. I was hoping to do a how-to video and upload it to YouTube, but I've never done a YouTube video before and I am afraid I'll mess it up.

However, I ran the below list by a contact at Motorcyclist magazine who confirmed that these are all the parts that will be needed to convert the clutch. 

I hope this list helps you get an idea of how much it would cost, parts-wise. I'll definitely update this thread if I get to doing the job myself. It should be a fun project, I just have too much on my plate this summer.

clutchparts.PNG

on that 'other' site there is a link to download the XSR manual.
What you mean by 'other' site? I am really interested in a XSR service manual. Could you PM me or something with information on where to get it. 
Thank you!

I've compiled the parts list and pricing. I haven't done the upgrade yet. I was hoping to do a how-to video and upload it to YouTube, but I've never done a YouTube video before and I am afraid I'll mess it up.  
However, I ran the below list by a contact at Motorcyclist magazine who confirmed that these are all the parts that will be needed to convert the clutch. 

I hope this list helps you get an idea of how much it would cost, parts-wise. I'll definitely update this thread if I get to doing the job myself. It should be a fun project, I just have too much on my plate this summer.

clutchparts.PNG

That's awesome mate, I'll price this up through Yamaha Australia when I get a chance. Cheers.

So I just used Google Translate on the narrative from the FZ-09 retrofit referenced earlier. The resultant english isn't any worse than the 60's-70's owners/service manuals I've had the pleasure of laughing at in the past. Easy peasy. Ordering the parts soon. If a lot of people make a run on the unique parts for the retrofit I can envision a delay in the pipeline due to backorders/non-availability.

• 1 month later...
I might be doing this as well. It's also worth noting that Yamaha uses this same 'assist and slipper' clutch design in the new R1 for anyone doubting the robustness of it.

Another variable to this is the xsr900 clutch cover. It has a rubber element fixed to the inside that appears to be for vibration damping purposes.

I'll probably forgo this part of the modification and see if it vibrates too much or had any other issues.

http://www.geocities.jp/motohiko01/MT-09/XSR-clutch-cover/xsr900-clutch_cover.htm

Following this thread... there is an " auto blip for downshifting " feature available for the FJ
Is FlashTune offering something to you that they haven't made available for normal purchase yet? Because this is the first I've heard of them offering an autoblipper for the FJ09. 

Following this thread... there is an " auto blip for downshifting " feature available for the FJ
Is FlashTune offering something to you that they haven't made available for normal purchase yet? Because this is the first I've heard of them offering an autoblipper for the FJ09.
Check out my thread started on Woolich Racing - WRT race tool kit  
http://fj-09.org/thread/4297/woolich-racing-wrt?page=1&scrollTo=49084
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp