Cruise control

jamboa

I bought a Super Ten clutch pod with the cruise buttons. Removed the buttons and installed them in my FJ pod.

Since you purchased the Super 10 switch, I'm curious why you didn't just use the patch harness, instead of going through all the additional work (and time) of removing the items from the Super 10 switch, and installing them in the FJ switch. Yes, the patch harness adds a slight additional cost, but it seems to me that the amount of time saved, as well as the less amount of work needing to be done, would have been worth that additional cost.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought a Super Ten clutch pod with the cruise buttons. Removed the buttons and installed them in my FJ pod. Just a matter of connecting the wires to your after market CC system. All you need is to know which wire goes where, and who's wires you're going to use. Really very simple. Connect the wires in the manner you like or can do and you are good to go. Here is a pic of my final set up:  + is also SET, and - is also RESUME.  This is opposite that noted on the Super Ten switch.  I just used Gorilla tape to cover the words.  The little LED light below the switch lights up when the cruise is on and the off-on switch is in its normal space below that. 
kAELeWM.jpg?1

That's slick!  Whats the part number on the pod?  I have the MCCruise with their controls, and while its not terrible, a more stock look would be much appreciated. 

edit: I think its 2BS-83954-00-00.  Pretty pricey at $190. https://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/53306feef870024560f03e70/handle-switch-lever

Since you purchased the Super 10 switch, I'm curious why you didn't just use the patch harness, instead of going through all the additional work (and time) of removing the items from the Super 10 switch, and installing them in the FJ switch. Yes, the patch harness adds a slight additional cost, but it seems to me that the amount of time saved, as well as the less amount of work needing to be done, would have been worth that additional cost.
~$200USD for the harness is a slight additional cost? That is almost 40% of the cost of the entire fully functional base unit... and I recall that the harness doesn't support the "engaged" light (base unit does)... I'd be swapping parts and soldering. ::) The OE setup does look good though.
Seriously, does anyone NEED a light to inform them the cruise control is engaged??? Just as with a car, truck, SUV, etc, if the cruise control is engaged, you KNOW it's engaged...oh good food isn't on the pedal, or your hand isn't "straining" on the throttle, and you're traveling "at speed", obviously, it's engaged. With any cruise control, the only truly useful light is the "power on" light.

~$200USD for the harness is a slight additional cost? That is almost 40% of the cost of the entire fully functional base unit... and I recall that the harness doesn't support the "engaged" light (base unit does)... I'd be swapping parts and soldering. eyesroll.png The OE setup does look good though.
Seriously, does anyone NEED a light to inform them the cruise control is engaged??? Just as with a car, truck, SUV, etc, if the cruise control is engaged, you KNOW it's engaged...oh good food isn't on the pedal, or your hand isn't "straining" on the throttle, and you're traveling "at speed", obviously, it's engaged. With any cruise control, the only truly useful light is the "power on" light.
Why stop there? Does anyone NEED cruise control? Nope, but it's nice to have. 

• Premium Member
LOL... the point of the "engaged" comment was that you're actually getting less for $200USD more. I get that if you really like the look, go for it... but there is a way to get there without blowing the cash. I recall you said something about not being made of money.  
What can I say... I have a pretty lengthy off-season for stuff just like that.

I’m interested in the Mccruise. Looking at their site, if I want to use the Yamaha switches, the kit is an additional $255 AUD+ the cost of the Yamaha switch. Is that correct?
https://www.mccruise.com/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-fj-09-new-throttle-by-wire-mccruise?variant=16868803012

Let’s go Brandon

Over a year ago during my conversations with Mccruise about my problem I had and I found out they really really dislike making the optional harness for plug and play for the super10 blocks-hence the price
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

~$200USD for the harness is a slight additional cost? That is almost 40% of the cost of the entire fully functional base unit... and I recall that the harness doesn't support the "engaged" light (base unit does)... I'd be swapping parts and soldering. eyesroll.png The OE setup does look good though.
The wiring harness DOES have the “power on” or “engaged” red LED.  They give you instructions for mounting it in the switch block housing. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I bought a Super Ten clutch pod with the cruise buttons. Removed the buttons and installed them in my FJ pod.
Not familiar with a patch harness.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

You are right about the light.  It was suppose to light up green when the cruise was turned on and orange when it was set.  The green isn't working and I don't care for the same reason you noted for the cruise.  So I ended up with this orange cruise light and to my surprise I have looked down to see if it was set and have seen the orange light on.  For what ever reason, I don't know, but it has happened a time or two.   Some times I will push set to see if it is on, because the green light isn't working.  If it changes to orange, I know it is on, if not, it isn't on.  I'm not going to fix it, I will just adapt or buy a 2019 GT. 
One other thing, if you haven't followed this thread and or can't remember, I bought a Super Ten switch pod for $35 off Ebay so the switch over only cost me 35.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

eBay and Craigslist, as well as other sources, are great places for used parts. For my previous bike (Suzuki SV650S), those two sites are where I found all the used parts (including the lower fairing pieces, minus the installation kit) that I used.

Well, order is finally placed. Not sure how quickly MCCruise will get it shipped, but it should be on its way to be very shortly. In the end, as much as I preferred the "stock" appearance of the FJR/Super10 switch, I decided saving money was more important, and will be using the MCCruise control unit. Not counting installation cost (if one pays someone else to install, which I haven't yet decided which route I'll go), the OEM switch, plus appropriate patch harness, adds an additional $250-300 to the cost. Sometimes cost has to take president over looks. Besides, the MCCruise control unit isn't that bad in looks. One thing no one (as far as I have noticed) has pointed out is that, even if one does decide to go with an OEM switch, you still NEED to use the MCCruise controller for diagnostics, setup, etc. That's why, in their manual, they clearly state you NEED to keep the control switch, even if you plan on using an OEM switch. For those who are interested in the MCCruise Cruise Control, but are "on the fence" regarding using the MCCruise controller switch, or a Yamaha OEM switch, the previously-mentioned point is worth taking into consideration (not to mention the additional $250-300 cost).

• Supporting Member
One thing no one (as far as I have noticed) has pointed out is that, even if one does decide to go with an OEM switch, you still NEED to use the MCCruise controller for diagnostics, setup, etc. That's why, in their manual, they clearly state you NEED to keep the control switch, even if you plan on using an OEM switch. For those who are interested in the MCCruise Cruise Control, but are "on the fence" regarding using the MCCruise controller switch, or a Yamaha OEM switch, the previously-mentioned point is worth taking into consideration (not to mention the additional $250-300 cost).

When I ordered mine with the Super Tenere harness, they didn’t even send me their switch.

When I ordered mine with the Super Tenere harness, they didn’t even send me their switch.
That's extremely strange...possibly an accident...as the installation instructions for the patch harnesses indicate that the MCCruise switch is needed for calibration, troubleshooting, etc.  The instructions clearly state, "Do not get rid of our control switch, as it will be needed." (or something to that effect) 

• Supporting Member
That's extremely strange...possibly an accident...as the installation instructions for the patch harnesses indicate that the MCCruise switch is needed for calibration, troubleshooting, etc.  The instructions clearly state, "Do not get rid of our control switch, as it will be needed." (or something to that effect)

I have the Tenere Switch and did all of the calibration and set up just fine, it’s been well over a year now.

• Premium Member
Well, order is finally placed. Not sure how quickly MCCruise will get it shipped, but it should be on its way to be very shortly. In the end, as much as I preferred the "stock" appearance of the FJR/Super10 switch, I decided saving money was more important, and will be using the MCCruise control unit. Not counting installation cost (if one pays someone else to install, which I haven't yet decided which route I'll go), the OEM switch, plus appropriate patch harness, adds an additional $250-300 to the cost. Sometimes cost has to take president over looks. Besides, the MCCruise control unit isn't that bad in looks. One thing no one (as far as I have noticed) has pointed out is that, even if one does decide to go with an OEM switch, you still NEED to use the MCCruise controller for diagnostics, setup, etc. That's why, in their manual, they clearly state you NEED to keep the control switch, even if you plan on using an OEM switch. For those who are interested in the MCCruise Cruise Control, but are "on the fence" regarding using the MCCruise controller switch, or a Yamaha OEM switch, the previously-mentioned point is worth taking into consideration (not to mention the additional $250-300 cost).
I think I was the first person to purchase the MCCruise on the forum, and the ST/FJR switches were not even an option.  I think you would have to be anal to the point of paralysis to get your panties in a twist over the standard controller switch. After you have ridden with it for a day or two, you don't even notice it's there. And using it is effortless. In my case, it took about a week from ordering to it showing up on my doorstep. Manufacturer support has been excellent, and the installation instructions are easy to follow.  

Archived