If not an FJ-09, I would have bought <insert answer here>

• Supporting Member
Simple question, but I'm curious what everyone else's final cross-shopping option was before choosing the FJ-09.   It looks like we all arrived at the FJ from various backgrounds, riding styles, and preferences...  I suspect the list is going to be surprisingly varied. 

My answer:   Ducati Hyperstrada

Why:  I come from a long sportbike background, and wanted to move to a more comfortable bike without giving up the sporting aspect.  I originally was concerned that the FJ might be too far to the touring side of the equation - hence my serious interest in the Hyperstrada - but it turns out that the FJ-09 (with some $$$ thrown at suspension upgrades) suits me perfectly. 

Who's next? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FZ-10.  I was coming off a first gen fz1, and said to myself I would buy the next version if they put the R1 motor in it.  After riding the R1 at a Yamaha days I was hooked, that engine is amazing.  Although the R1 riding position is the worst I've ever ridden.  

Tried the FJ-09 out before the FZ-10 was released.  It checked off all my boxes.  I'm happy with my decision but looking forward to FZ-10 test ride this summer.

I tried the Hyperstrada at a Ducati Ride event.  Wasn't my cup of tea.  Reminded me to much of my Monster 696.  Which is fun but not enough bike for my long distance bike.

• Supporting Member
I came from a Gen II FZ1 and last year I went on a road trip with a few guys with a FJR and a Concourse. Both are fantastic bikes, extremely comfortable and ridiculously fast, but they are way too big for my taste. I decided I wanted something between the FZ1 and the FJR. - Sporty, comfortable and agile. I was originally interested in the Versys 1000, and took it out for a test ride several times but again its a big bike and finally decided on the FJ and am really happy with my decision.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Aprilia Caponord. I really wanted one and the FJ09 was my 'this will have to do because all of the caponords are just out of my price range and im too impatient to wait a few more months to upgrade'.

Am I happy with the FJ? Yes, I am. But I'm going to have to spend as much on suspension mods as the difference in price between the FJ and the Capo... and I still wont have electronic suspension, cruise, higher load limit, larger fuel tank/more range, lack of buffeting issues, that awesome I device bluetooth pairing that gives stats on your bike/how you're riding it etc.

If I could switch to a capo with a 2k AUD changeover would I do it? Probably.

• Premium Member
I was riding a Honda NC700X as a temporary replacement for a 2009 Buell Ulysses. The little Honda seemed like a good bike to get back into the swing of things after parting ways with my Buell 6 months before. Turns out I wanted more power than the Honda supplied, however.

I was mostly looking at either a BMW F800GS or a Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I got the FJ instead. It had a triple, which was the thing I most liked about the Tiger, and it seemed to put the BMW to shame for pick up. Besides, I'm getting too smart (okay, too old) to be out ripping around the Southern Arizona desert by myself anymore - after awhile, ANY bike gets real heavy when picking it up.

It turned out to be the right decision for more than one reason - the local Triumph dealership in Tucson closed last year.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

As I've said before, I went to the dealer looking for a Yamaha SCR950 scrambler (which they STILL haven't gotten) but having experienced my daughter's Bolt, I'm real glad I dodged that bullet.

The last bike I actually threw a leg over and liked was a Suzuki V-strom. 650 at the time, but I'd probably have gone for the 1000.

Kawasaki Versys 1000. Both bikes were new on the market (actually the Versys was a major update) at about the same time 2015 and I was really torn between them, both getting excellent reviews. But I went to a dealer that sold both Kawasaki and Yamaha and I could sit on them back to back. The Versys was SO much bigger and heavier and most of my riding (despite my dreams of a cross country trip) is up and down mountain roads here in SoCal. So the FJ-09 won. Haven't regretted it!

I stuck to my original plan and went with the FJ 09 but am still in the honeymoon period, so I'll withhold "it's the greatest bike ever made" comments! The Gen II FZ1 was still high on my list even though I just sold mine last summer. Next came the Versys 650/1000 but ruled out the 650 because...well, once you get addicted to big smooth easy power it's kind of hard to go the other direction. That somewhat ruled out the Versy 650 even though it has more than adequate power and is very practicable (not to mention I've owned an '08 and already scratched that itch).

The Versys 1000 looked like a good bike for my use until I actually saw how large it was. I tend to like smaller bikes with big engines. The new FZ-10 caught my attention but honestly I'd probably go for another Gen II FZ1 over it. The FZ-10 is a LOT of bike but the FZ1 is no slouch either, especially considering the $$ difference.

It's nice to have a great selection of bikes to choose from. These days there's a bike for just about everyone out there. I'm approaching my mid 50s. The FJ 09 economically fits my riding style with nice ergonomics and performance. So far no regrets and I honestly don't think there will be.

Archived