What octane fuel do you run in your FJ09?

2and3cylinders

Always Premium. Here (Australia) that's 98 RON and not E (Ethanol).
Same here also in Oz...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I did a 10k mile trip in July across America and back...I filled up with premium if possible. Most of the time, out west, 93 wasn't even available and 91 was tough to find. I filled up, without choice, at a bunch of gas stations that I would never normally choose to fill up at and they only had regular. The bike still ran great for touring.

• Premium Member
Very interesting so far. As some have done so on their own, it is informative to hear if running mid grade and regular caused any discernable issues.

Whereas a 11.5:1 compression ratio is not anywhere near the highest comparatively of bikes that call for premium, I understand the FJ09 ignition advance curve climbs steeply and quickly backward, hence the concern about preignition and detonation.

• Premium Member
Use to use 94 chevron but changed to shell 91 and no more engine pinging and vibs at 4-5k are 99% gone

Chevron is rare where we are but I'll keep that in mind.

I tend toward BP because they're the only gas card we have and the "rewards" discounts per gallon they offer (similar to other brands do).

Regular 87 octane E10.

I tried a few tanks of 91 octane E10 (no non-E fuel around here that I know of) and couldn't detect any difference other than the dent in my wallet.

Performance and mileage were unchanged within the usual margin of error.

premium grade pump gas @ 92 or 93 octane depending on gas station, I avoid the cheap gas stations like Admiral or the weird looking gas stations out in the boonies...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
I have ran many tanks of regular 87, mid-grade 89 and premium 91. 95% of the gas I use is mid-grade 89.
How many of tanks were E10?
All of them, thats what we have here in the Northwest - E10. There are Ethanol free stations, but I occasionally use that in my truck and dirt bike since they dont get used as often, and Ethanol free is significantly more expensive, like over $1.00 a gallon difference for E0.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here in California the difference between mid-grade and premium (89 vs 91) is usually ten cents. For a four gallon fill-up that's 40 cents. Why not run the best you can get? I have 26,000 trouble free miles on my FJ-09 and always put premium in.

always BP Ultimate 97 RON or Shell V-Power 98 RON
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived