Off-Season Projects - Winter 2017/18

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

The FJ is getting:
Corbin seat. I bought that purple one, going to try and die the leather.
ECU Flash.
ZX6R rear shock
New clutch cable
Handle bar recall

The GSXR is getting / got:
Valve check (valves were in spec, yay!)
Spark Plugs
New exhaust hanger
Fix front wheel fender (it cracked somehow?)
Whatever other money I have to throw at it

'15 FJ09

Damn the luck!  
All this ‘gorgeous riding weather’ keep interfering with my winter maintenance projects... smiley.png

...um... piss off? B-|
Haha!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Plugs looked good (25K kms), but replaced them with NGK CR9EIA-9 #6289 Iridium. Coils were on VERY firm, and went back on equally VERY firm... really had to press hard to seat them in fully. 
plugs.jpg

Your plugs still look great and your mileage is about the same as what I put on my bike this year.  If I had followed the manual I would have inspected them 4x and replaced them 2x already this year.  I think I will give them another 10k miles before messing with them. 
I replaced my plugs at 25,000, and they looked like those.  I'm at 51,000 on the second set of OEM plugs and the bike runs great.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I am replacing the handlebar with the Rizoma MA009. It is not as wide as the FJ-09 handlebar, and it has more sweep.

P1030641.jpg

I will also replace the clutch cable while I am at it.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Your plugs still look great and your mileage is about the same as what I put on my bike this year.  If I had followed the manual I would have inspected them 4x and replaced them 2x already this year.  I think I will give them another 10k miles before messing with them. 
I replaced my plugs at 25,000, and they looked like those.  I'm at 51,000 on the second set of OEM plugs and the bike runs great.

Regarding the coil on caps.. best way to remove them without damage is a slight puff of compressed air in to the plug drain hole at the front of the motor under the exhaust ports. Just make sure you have a towel or your hand over them to make sure they don’t go on a unapproved space voyage.

Damn the luck!  
All this ‘gorgeous riding weather’ keeps interfering with my winter maintenance projects... smiley.png

We had some spectacular weather here in MO this past weekend as well. But I hurt my arm and riding would have been extraordinarily uncomfortable.. So I wrenched instead. 

'15 FJ09

Argh... gonna have to wait for warmer days to put these on. huh.png 
IMG_20171127_200052_edit.jpg

And as per instructions, warm-up the rim (hairdryer is perfect) where you intend applying the decal.   Probably won't stick to ice or snow...!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Reconsidered getting the FZ-1 fuse block and decided that a) don't need that many circuits... b) cannot afford the space under the seat... c) it's poor value for my needs. I looked at cycleterminal.com and easternbeaver.com, and both had a simple 3 fuse holder alternative... so I got the parts at cycleterminal ($19 with 3 pairs of sealed connectors) and will assemble something like the photo. Flexible and slim enough to tuck in neatly under the front seat. The GPS, lights and the horn are already wired to existing fused/switched circuits, so I really need just two more for the new Powerlet outlets (heated gear, auxiliary).

Capture.png

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Reconsidered getting the FZ-1 fuse block and decided that a) don't need that many circuits... b) cannot afford the space under the seat... c) it's poor value for my needs. I looked at cycleterminal.com and easternbeaver.com, and both had a simple 3 fuse holder alternative... so I got the parts at cycleterminal ($19 with 3 pairs of sealed connectors) and will assemble something like the photo. Flexible and slim enough to tuck in neatly under the front seat. The GPS, lights and the horn are already wired to existing fused/switched circuits, so I really need just two more for the new Powerlet outlets (heated gear, auxiliary). 
Capture.png

The Eastern Beaver 3 circuit is what I did.   Grip heaters, GPS, and running lights are connected to this fuse holder.   
I know Yamaha provided several extra circuits for accessories, but they are fused a 3 amps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
Not quite as elegant as the Cycle Terminal assembly, but will work just as well (and like longer pigtails anyway). All connections soldered rather than just crimped)... cheap and had me off the couch for an evening.

harness.jpg

• Supporting Member
Powerlet Part No. PSO-001 (on the right, cost $15CAD) said to need 2" clearance on inside of the mounting panel, and Part No. PSO-007 (on the left, cost $39CAD) is a right angle variant said to need only 1" on the inside of the mounting panel. The outlet body is identical in size with only the terminals finessed a bit... something that can be easily done with the cheaper plug version, especially if soldering. The right angle rubber boot (part of the kit) is just a few bucks on it's own. Should have googled this.

IMG_20171214_214022.jpg

Archived