What are your plans for distance-touring in 2018?

wordsmith

Lets see now... from home in Sydney, New South Wales. Australia

Feb 18 - FarRide to Dartmouth, Victoria

Mar 18 - Annual Pilgrimage to Tintaldra, Vic

Apr 18 - FarRide to Nindigully Pub, Thallon, Queensland

May 18 - FarRide to Leeton, New South Wales

Jun 18 - FarRide to Glendambo, South Australia

Annual leave is booked up to May 18 and then I'll start planning the back half of the year.

Now there could be a couple more weekend rides thrown in just for good measure, but, who knows........

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annual leave is booked up to May 18 and then I'll start planning the back half of the year.

Now there could be a couple more weekend rides thrown in just for good measure, but, who knows........

That's impressive, kimmie!   What are the distances involved?   Ride safe! 
I'm heading off in an hour's time for an ~ 1000km sortie - do hope the rain stays away!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I'm departing May 8 for New Orleans, then over to San Antonio. With friends, will ride up to Santa Fe NM area for 4 days. My buds will head back to S.A., me to Utah for 3 or 4 days. I'd like to then continue west to Cali, to visit friends and relatives, but that depends upon finances.

The one real disappointment of this trip is that the Santa Fe portion had originally been planned for a few weeks earlier, and I'd have attended MotoGP Austin beforehand. Now, with the S.F. departure later into May, I can't afford to hang around Texas waiting. But I'm still having fun planning routes!

• Premium Member
Got a few multi-day trips planned around British Columbia (the Kootenays, Banff/Jasper, etc) but the big trip will be heading to Ecuador in July for a 10-day circumnavigation of that country.
Can't take the FJ with me, sadly, so I'll be renting a Triumph Tiger 800 - looking forward to seeing the differences between the bikes.

Anyone done any riding in Ecuador, by chance?

three years ago we did:  In May
vegas
Zion
Bryce
esclanate
arches
monument valley
Page
Vegas

We felt it was too long for use.

Last year we did: In May
Phoenix
Cottonwood,
Jerome
sedona
flagstaff
grandcanyon
Payson
Phoenix

Ah, just right

Any ideas for routes, please?  I try to stay in the dry areas.  We like to ride 1-1.5 hours then hike, then ride another 1-2 hours and then stay and explore.  Country more than cities.  Don't wanna ride in rain.
5-6 days trips.  We fly from Philly.  We rent R1200RTs in vegas of Phoenix.  No Harley rentals, please.
Maybe Europe?

Thanks, all.

• Premium Member
In April my daughter and I will do Moonshine Lunch Run. I invite any of you in the area to join in. Riders from all over the US ride to this. Will ride the ST1100.

https://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

My wife and I host an event in June on SE Ohio; OH-STOC. We spend a long weekend carving up that corner of the state. The FJ gets called in to lead that.

Trying to plan a 2 week trip out west with the wife. The ST pulling my MiniMate pop up trailer will be used for that.

• Premium Member
I managed 4 trips away this year: March trip to N England to visit a mate; solo at Easter to Avignon in France, June trip with 10 others to French Alps via Jura & Burgundy and a last solo trip to Brittany in Sept.

2018 has a trip at Easter in the planning stage. Vague idea to go to Vianden on Lux/German border. Often passing through on the way further south but it is a nice place in its own right for a few days. Summer trip with the same group will be Germanic, using 2 bases, one in the Eifel region, the other in Goslar in the Harz Mountains. Stopover in Brugge on the way out. Not sure where on the way back, maybe Arnhem, just to tick off the Netherlands as I have never been before!
There's likely to be another trip in the late summer/autumn but no idea where.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I managed 4 trips away this year: March trip to N England to visit a mate; solo at Easter to Avignon in France, June trip with 10 others to French Alps via Jura & Burgundy and a last solo trip to Brittany in Sept.  
2018 has a trip at Easter in the planning stage. Vague idea to go to Vianden on Lux/German border. Often passing through on the way further south but it is a nice place in its own right for a few days. Summer trip with the same group will be Germanic, using 2 bases, one in the Eifel region, the other in Goslar in the Harz Mountains. Stopover in Brugge on the way out. Not sure where on the way back, maybe Arnhem, just to tick off the Netherlands as I have never been before!
There's likely to be another trip in the late summer/autumn but no idea where.
Green!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That's impressive, kimmie!   What are the distances involved?   Ride safe! 
I'm heading off in an hour's time for an ~ 1000km sortie - do hope the rain stays away!
Each ride is an absolute minimum of 1000 kilometres.  So will be considerately longer depending on how many "detours" I will make in the planning of these ride.
Now that I have my new Super Tent, there could even be a few more extra days leave added in just for good measure.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

One of the advantages of advanced age is the very cheap lifetime pass to national parks. Every year I choose a few and just ride there. Like Ken, I also attend lots of MC racing events including Bonneville where I pit crew for the amazing Lightning electric LS-218 team. Current world record for production bike of 218mph (Also 198 for the standing start mile). 

Some advice to any of you that plan to attend speed trials at Bonneville---Keep your bike off the salt. It is corrosive and extremely hard to get off the bikes! Use shoes you may want to ditch after the event.

When home, I tend to spend lots of time studying maps and anticipating how much fun it will be to ride there. When I find someplace interesting I can spend several hours studying what I can find on the internet. But, I never plan so carefully as to avoid any "Necessary side trips" that may come up:

Example--- At the end of Summer this year I rode to Palm springs (From Portland) to visit my sister. the basic trip was a twisty route to Susanville, a bit north of Reno for the first night, then south on Hwy 395. Along the way I was forced to take side trips to Yosemite, June Lakes, Death Valley, and Joshua Tree NP, one of my very favorite places. So yes, I do plan ahead, sort of.

• Premium Member
At the end of Summer this year I rode to Palm springs (From Portland) to visit my sister. the basic trip was a twisty route to Susanville, a bit north of Reno for the first night, then south on Hwy 395.
I love that route, ride it all the time from Oregon to visit my Dad outside of Reno. It's one of those rare cases where the shortest, most direct route also happens to be the most scenic.

I assume you rode CA-139? Great road, one of my favorites. At the north end the Adin general store is my favorite lunch stop.

Does your National Parks pass get you into National Monuments? The Lava Beds south of Klamath Falls are a Nat'l Monument and a must see. If you're riding through on a hot summer day you can go down into the lava tubes and cool off; no matter how hot or cold it is outside the caves maintain a steady 55 degrees F.

• Supporting Member
At the end of Summer this year I rode to Palm springs (From Portland) to visit my sister. the basic trip was a twisty route to Susanville, a bit north of Reno for the first night, then south on Hwy 395.
I assume you rode CA-139? Great road, one of my favorites. At the north end the Adin general store is my favorite lunch stop.
A group of us rode that route into Reno 2 years ago, agreed, very nice route.  There is a nice detour off CA-139 around Eagle Lake (Eagle Lake Rd.) that drops you off just outside Susanville, another very nice road. I plan on taking another excursion down that way this coming summer, south of Tahoe to Mono Lake, Monitor Pass, Tioga Pass, Sonora Pass etc. then come back north on historic SR-49.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Yes, there isn't a single bad road in the Sierras. All those roads south of Tahoe are phenomenal.

Bodie is a fun excursion north of Mono Lake, but plan enough time to sightsee around the ghost town.

I once rode Tioga Pass westbound at sunrise, and it was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever done. The rising sun at my back, zero traffic, just incredible. Bonus: if you can hit the Yosemite entrance before 6:00am you avoid the entrance fee.

A great trip would be to tour Bodie in the afternoon and then get a motel in Lee Vining. Set your alarm for 5:00am be on the road by 5:30. I know, I know. Who wants to get up that early on vacation? Trust me, sunrise on Tioga Pass is worth it.

• 1 month later...
Great to hear the plans other riders are making.  Looking forward to summer weather and great rides!
I'm planning my first multi-day trip right now with my brother in law. Leaving from Seattle area late June to attend Pike's Peak race on June 24th. I think we'll spend four days each way with a day in the middle for the race. I've heard that Mt Evans, CO is a good side trip. Any suggestions for must visit roads or good camping spots?

Will probably do half camping half hotels. Not planning to make reservations (except staying with friends two nights in Colorado Springs).

Archived