Do I need a skid plate?

Just bought a 2016 FJ 09 and have been reading about street riders who snag the oil drain on on garden variety speed bumps. OMG!

I occasionally will ride my wife on pillion and am wondering if 2 up demands a skid plate on this bike. (+400 lbs aboard)

I'm coming off a massive ST 1300 so the tiny FJ is an unknown quantity.

I ride only on the street. So Skid plate or not? Recommended brand?

Thanks for the wisdom,
Chris in NH
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

The bike has fairly low ground clearance and there’s something about it’s rideability that encourages a riding style which covers ground quickly. I caught the bottom of the bike on a kerb and was very glad of the skid plate as it saved my sump. For a modest outlay, I like the peace of mind.

I’ve got this one:

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-aluminum-engine-guard-skid-plate-for-yamaha-xsr900-16

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I also have the SW Motech skid plate on my '15 and feel more at ease riding on the occasional uneven ground or curb jump.  Next oil change, however, I will be changing out the drain plug for the Mazda plug previously discussed on this forum and grinding off the the protective rib just to have even more confidence.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

The 2016 model has an updated, less vulnerable design. You'll be fine.
This is not technically correct.  Early 2016 production models (like mine) still had the oil drain plug on the bottom.  Later production models have the new oil pan.  You just need to check which one is on your bike.

My 2016 has the old-style oil pan and drain plug.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Yes, the skid plate is necessary from my point of view. Here in Mexico, when you ride on routes to explore small towns, it is frequent to find street bumpers and sometimes oddly high. Last time I did and oil change, the Yamaha person mentioned that the oil plug had already some damage. I didn't hesitate to get an SW moto tech, recommended in this forum. Even when it does not look very strong, it keeps you safe from bumpers and other road problems, specially when you like to explore roads that are not as flat as the highway.

• Premium Member
Higdonion Cage + upper cage= combat approved ?
What he said.  Early style oil pan is an oil spill waiting to happen. Later style is better but why would you not want a skid plate to protect the vulnerable bits?  Looks good, hurts nothing, could save everything. 

Just bought a 2016 FJ 09 and have been reading about street riders who snag the oil drain on on garden variety speed bumps. OMG! 
I occasionally will ride my wife on pillion and am wondering if 2 up demands a skid plate on this bike. (+400 lbs aboard)

Thanks for the wisdom,
Chris in NH
I have higdonion, well Worth the money. I even have two brothers pipe and it fits

I believe the 2016 got the updated oilpan with the drain plug off to the side.  Some of the early 2016's have the old style pan with the plug on the bottom.

If you have the plug on the bottom you might want to do the "Mazda drain plug mod"  which you can find somewhere on the forum.  Basically it is replacing the stock drain plug with a specific plug for a Mazda and grinding (or filing) the "protective fin" off the oil pan.  The Mazda plug has a much smaller profile and no hex edges to catch on anything.  The mod will probably gain you 3/8 to 1/2" but more importantly is that it will remove the obstacles that might catch on things.  

FWIW, I installed a Hyperpro "lowering spring" last season which allows the spring to initially compress 1" upon mounting the bike.  I rode 10K miles in New England last year without issue. 
Riding was solo.  

The skid plate does undoubtedly provide a bit of piece of mind.

BTW
If you are interested in hard sidebag (after coming off the ST1300).  There is a set of FJR bags on Craigslist in southern NH right now.  

• Premium Member

Thanks for the wisdom,
Chris in NH
I have the 2015 model (so it came with the "fin of death") and have toured almost 20,000 miles on it riding 2-up and fully loaded (full saddlebags and topcase).  So far so good!  I did scrape on a couple of taller than usual speed bumps (anxiety producing but no damage) but that's all.  I recently did the Mazda drain plug replacement and fin removal as added assurance.   
Is it necessary?  No, but if it gives you peace of mind (or if you plan on jumping curbs) then do it.  Certainly won't hurt, and it might save you some problems down the road. 

Archived