Riding Rut

Jeeze, we could be twins. I rarely take rides lasting more than 4 hours. I have approximately zero interest in touring or overnighters. Just not my thing. I've identified and ridden all the fun roads in the area and the only variation is do the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I do enjoy exploring and just picking a road and seeing where it goes, but I've done that to about all the roads within a reasonable distance. Riding an hour just to find a new road is becoming a pain.

Like you, I have a favorite bit of twisties that I could ride once a week (and often do...) but traffic is a crapshoot so some days it's fun and some days it's boring.

The book mentioned sounds interesting. I'm gonna check it out, pick a section of twisties and concentrate on technique.

I'd LOVE to do a track day but there isn't one anywhere in the state that I'm aware of, plus I'd have to drop a grand or so on gear to get in the gate from what I've seen.

EDIT:  Or not...$75 for a 120 page paperback book?  I think not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT:  Or not...$75 for a 120 page paperback book?  I think not.
Wow, something really changed there - I even saw one going for $710?!?!?! I swear when I looked when I mentioned it earlier  it was only like $25. Must be a lot of people buying it recently. Unbelievable. 

You can get trackday worthy gear for ~$500 or so. I found a used pair of leathers on craigslist that fit for $230 and boots were another $120 or so. Most trackdays allow 2 piece leathers in the novice group. That might save you some coin. Gloves and helmet I already had. A trackday does require gauntlet style gloves.

'15 FJ09

California Superbike School will be at VIR in early august. It is a little more pricey than a standard track day but it is a great experience. Gear rental, food service, and even bike rental if you want to go that route. Makes getting out on the track painless. It is amazing how much they can improve your riding in a single day.

• Supporting Member
Jeeze, we could be twins. I rarely take rides lasting more than 4 hours. I have approximately zero interest in touring or overnighters. Just not my thing. I've identified and ridden all the fun roads in the area and the only variation is do the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise. 
I do enjoy exploring and just picking a road and seeing where it goes, but I've done that to about all the roads within a reasonable distance. Riding an hour just to find a new road is becoming a pain.

As much as I love tearing up a familiar road that I have ridden dozens of times, there’s nothing like getting out there and discovering something new.  As I get older I realize that what I haven’t seen far exceeds what little I have seen. 

In in about a week, a buddy and I are leaving for a 5-day road trip to Northern California where 100% of the roads will be new to me, I’ve ridden in California before but this time I routed us through completely virgin territory. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As much as I love tearing up a familiar road that I have ridden dozens of times, there’s nothing like getting out there and discovering something new.  As I get older I realize that what I haven’t seen far exceeds what little I have seen.  
In in about a week, a buddy and I are leaving for a 5-day road trip to Northern California where 100% of the roads will be new to me, I’ve ridden in California before but this time I routed us through completely virgin territory. 
Nor Cal has some amazing roads. Are you going to do Hwy 36 at all?  If so, be sure to get the gratuitous picture 

z3aZGuM.jpg

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Nor Cal has some amazing roads. Are you going to do Hwy 36 at all?  If so, be sure to get the gratuitous picture

Here are 3 maps of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day of the trip.

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

• Supporting Member
If so, be sure to get the gratuitous picture 
z3aZGuM.jpg
That makes me kinda warm and tingly inside. Seriously, I need to move to somewhere other than Houston...

• Premium Member
If so, be sure to get the gratuitous picture 
z3aZGuM.jpg
That makes me kinda warm and tingly inside. Seriously, I need to move to somewhere other than Houston...
Try South Florida. It's around 600 miles to anywhere that ain't flat, straight and boring...  :-/  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I simply love to get lost. I've been lost on 3 continents and 31 states. When I ride by myself ... which usually means a ride limited to 2-4 hours, I try to find roads I have never been on. I live in a rural area so it is easy to find a paved road that turns to gravel, turns to dirt and ends up back on a paved road between corn fields. That would be a suggestion. Throw a leaf in the wind and make that your direction and start looking for little roads off that you normally don't see.

The downside is that I have also been chased out of areas also. Don't mind as long as their not shooting.

But I've also found big ponds, small lakes, little known caves, etc. Which I love.

That's a fanastic route. Happy Camp is an interesting place. Be sure to get the gratuitous picture with Sasquatch there. There's really no bad roads in that area. 299 out of Redding will be crowded with cagers, but whatever. 
When did you say you were going?

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

The trip will be the 3rd week of July.  We originally had it scheduled for the last week of May but the weather wasn't in our favor, thunderstorms and torrential rain, not my idea of a fun road trip.

The trip will be the 3rd week of July.  We originally had it scheduled for the last week of May but the weather wasn't in our favor, thunderstorms and torrential rain, not my idea of a fun road trip.

Oh cool! I doubt I'll cross paths with you, but I'll be in Eureka on the 15th / 16th then crater lake 16th / 17th. Then onwards to Idaho. In a cage unfortunately though. Hope you have an epic road trip!

'15 FJ09

Archived