Time for some new tires. What to get?

So it's been a while since I've had this conversation, so I'm not sure if things have changed or not. I got almost 8000 miles on my '15 and it's time to change out my rear tire. I am currently running the dunlap sportmax d222 tires that came stock with the bike. From what I have read those dunlap's are not the greatest tire out there. I have plenty of tread left on the front tire but I think I'm going to change it out as well just so both tires are the same.

So... from last time I talked about this, I came to the conclusion that I was going to get the metzeler roadtech 1. Are those still pretty good tires or has something better came out that provides the best grip and longest mileage. I've heard about some michelin tires that are pretty good but I forgot which exact ones they were. I'm just a regular everyday rider so my riding style isn't to crazy. Anyway thanks for the help in advance.

Years ago I had a set of Pirelli Angel ST's on my DR650 Supermoto. I rode that thing like a supermoto. Wheelies, sliding the back end around, dirt trails, jumps, etc etc. They lasted longer than I had the bike, over 10,000 miles and they gripped fantastic. They were discontinued for a while, but now they're back. I put a set on my FJ and have ~800 miles on them and love them. I'm not sure what design changes were made, but so far they're excellent.

Edit, looks like they're on sale right now. Just over $200 for set!!

Front

Rear

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I have about 4K miles on my new Michelin PR5 tires (front and back) and I love them. Much better than the stock Dunlops, but cost ~ $500 installed

• Premium Member
You will get a hundred different answers. I had good luck and gotten great use from the Dunlop roadsmart 3’s. Got 18,000 miles out of the last set on the FJ.

Let’s go Brandon

I second the Angel GT. I have a couple thousand miles on my first pair (solo/2up) with absolutely zero complaints. I'm a pretty reserved rider who occasionally loves to dig into a fantastic curve; GTs have great grip, a smooth 'U'-shape to allow smooth gradual lean angle (instead of a 'V' that wants to dive into the corners), and they are holding-up great.

I'm guessing the GTs have a harder center compound than the STs so they'll last longer if you're prone to more miles than radians. Of course, you'll pay for the extra longevity but with less shop trips/disposals/downtime.

I second the Angel GT. I have a couple thousand miles on my first pair (solo/2up) with absolutely zero complaints. I'm a pretty reserved rider who occasionally loves to dig into a fantastic curve; GTs have great grip, a smooth 'U'-shape to allow smooth gradual lean angle (instead of a 'V' that wants to dive into the corners), and they are holding-up great. 
I'm guessing the GTs have a harder center compound than the STs so they'll last longer if you're prone to more miles than radians. Of course, you'll pay for the extra longevity but with less shop trips/disposals/downtime.
You would be correct. 
56550.jpg

'15 FJ09

I'm about 500 miles into a pair of michelin road 5's and they are incredible. Picked up a set off Revzilla for $350 shipped when they were running a sale.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

I can't say how the Pirelli Angel GTs will work on the FJ-09, but I can tell you that I had them on my last bike (2006 Suzuki SV650S), and they were absolutely fantastic. The slight additional cost over the Angel STs was worth it, as I did a lot of freeway commuting, thus the wear along the center was considerably greater than the side wear. Chances are, when it comes time to replace the tires on my FJ-09, the Angel GT will be my first consideration.

I'm in the same boat... 99.9% sure I'm going with the PR 5's but only doing the rear now, as the front has less than 4K miles on the original tire... Rear didn't last for shete! (I may like aggressive corning too...)
Honestly if I were you I'd just ditch the stock front tire, the road 5's have a lot of tech in the front tire to make the bike handle better and the stock tires are crap. I swapped both my stock tires out with less than 3k miles on them and it was totally worth it IMO.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

I'm in the same boat... 99.9% sure I'm going with the PR 5's but only doing the rear now, as the front has less than 4K miles on the original tire... Rear didn't last for shete! (I may like aggressive corning too...)
Honestly if I were you I'd just ditch the stock front tire, the road 5's have a lot of tech in the front tire to make the bike handle better and the stock tires are crap. I swapped both my stock tires out with less than 3k miles on them and it was totally worth it IMO.
If I had the extra $$ right now I would...

I was just doing some research, and your best choices might be the following. For the front tire, as many have pointed out, the Michelin Road 5 should be the optimal pick. Heck...I'm even willing to forgo the Angel GT in the front, just to see how well the Road 5 does. As for the rear tire, going with either the Michelin Road 5 or Pirelli Angel GT, you can't go wrong. Personally, as much as I like having the same tire front & rear, if you happen to ride in wet conditions, the Angel GT might prove better at moving rear-tire water. I'm just curious, but, does anyone have first-hand experience with BOTH tires (rear wheel only)?