What level of work do you do on your bike?

Someone asked this question and we thought it would be interesting to take a poll.  Check the answer that most closely represents the level of involvement you do on your bike.  If you fall in between, check the box with the lessor degree of involvement.  I didn't include a level that would remove the engine and do major work because those individuals are far and few, and probably are out in the shop not reading this anyway.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
I'm comfortable with performing most maintenance that doesn't involve getting inside the engine.
I have installed the cruise control, spliced/soldered wiring, installed A/S clutch, swapped fork springs etc. but I dont get inside the engine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’m in the middle. I’m still not sure what a throttle body does, and at this point I’m afraid to ask ?
Be afraid!  HA!  Easy to sync if you have the tool.  I'll do most everything on the bike. I do hate the diagnostic crap, but that's a reality anymore. I've added a relay fuse block, extra lights and electrical accessories. I spin my own tires. Will do my own valve adjust and throttle body sync (yes I have the tool) , bearings, chains, all fluids, farkles, suspension adjusts, etc....  I just don't trust the shops anymore, been burned before. Besides I have a garage and a large set of tools. Why not!   This winter Ill do the APE chain tensioner and the APS adjust before sending the ECU in for a reflash.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

I’m in the middle. I’m still not sure what a throttle body does, and at this point I’m afraid to ask ?
Be afraid!  HA!  Easy to sync if you have the tool.  I'll do most everything on the bike. I do hate the diagnostic crap, but that's a reality anymore. I've added a relay fuse block, extra lights and electrical accessories. I spin my own tires. Will do my own valve adjust and throttle body sync (yes I have the tool) , bearings, chains, all fluids, farkles, suspension adjusts, etc....  I just don't trust the shops anymore, been burned before. Besides I have a garage and a large set of tools. Why not!   This winter Ill do the APE chain tensioner and the APS adjust before sending the ECU in for a reflash.

I really should just figure it out. I was fine doing valves on my little CB500X, but after moving to triples I got scared of breaking something expensive.

Im fairly comfortable doing my own work, even if I havent done it before... You gotta be comfortable/confident building 1000hp motors or you aint going nowhere... started my introduction to engines in High School when I was attending Technical College for Aviation Mechanics...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I do most of the maintenance on my own. Haven't done the valve check yet, but only because I haven't reached the mileage specified in the manual quite yet. I don't trust the dealers near me to do any of the work, except warranty, where I have no choice. I have found a local shop I trust, and will use them if I'm just too busy, or feel I don't have the skills to do something without screwing it up. (had them replace my tires because it was just easier)

Buy the manual, take it slow, ask questions on this forum, and you can do 99% of maintenance on your own.

• Premium Member
Where is the Poll?

I have the extended warranty but still do not hesitate to go in after whatever needs to be done related to maintenance including adjusting the valves replacing the cam chain tensioner with an APE manual unit, installing the slip assist clutch pack, replacing and rebuilding the fork internals, replacing and rebuilding the shock, Etc.

Where is the Poll? 
I have the extended warranty but still do not hesitate to go in after whatever needs to be done related to maintenance including adjusting the valves replacing the cam chain tensioner with an APE manual unit, installing the slip assist clutch pack, replacing and rebuilding the fork internals, replacing and rebuilding the shock, Etc.

poll is at top of 1st page and post of this thread...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I do pretty much everything. I had to pull the engine in my FJR and swap the transmission. (disclaimer: I had help - couldn't have done it solo mainly for strength reasons.) I've done front suspensions. I can't rebuild shocks though. Like Koth said, proper tools are needed and I wouldn't do them enough to justify the cost. But changing them out is not an issue. And as we move into the electronic "adaptive" suspensions... well, I'll tackle that when the time comes. There's stuff I haven't done yet. But would tackle.... again tools. I've done carb syncs... not TB yet. Servicing carbs is a dying art. I'm glad I still can and my son has learned. Most dealers in my area won't touch a carb'd bike. Very sad. Maybe for the best giving the service reputations of them.

I think a major component for most of us aside from mechanical skills is real estate to do the work. I have a walk in basement shop with a lift. That makes service life very easy! Garages are nice but can be temperature sensitive. This is to say that some respondents on the lower side possibly COULD do the work needed IF they had a space.

I would encourage folks to get a service manual and (if comfortable real estate is available) give some light maintenance a shot! The community here and the World Wide Interwebs is a great resource as well. I'm sure if any members here are local, help is but a message away. Step by step instructions with pics (and/or YouTube videos) have been done for a lot of the routine maintenance and upgrades like heated grips or turn signal changes etc.. If you can't find one, ask! Maybe we'll make one! I enjoy doing that kind of stuff.

Just the basics, working around the edges of the bike.

I've got a 'guy' who worked at a dealership for many years and now works out of his home. The work is top notch and the prices are fair.  I've got two bikes and think I've used him about twice in the last five years, so not often. 

Archived