Tire Pressure

joeszup

• Premium Member
I was doing my 12k maintenance and noticed that my front tire (PR4's) recommends PSI 42.  This whole time I've been doing 42 rear/36 front, because I've been following the manual.  Forgot about the tire change.  Who here is running PR4's and do you run at 42 psi?

How does your tyre recommend 42psi? Won’t it depend on the weight of the bike it is fitted to? I’d go with the manual, or even lower as some people prefer.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Street tires I set at 37/35 and forget about them. I don't ride hard enough to notice the difference in performance. I do notice when my tires are low though. The bike handles like a tractor and the tire wear is very accelerated.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
If you are reading tire pressure off the side of the tire that is the max tire pressure for the tire. Use the tire pressure in the owners manual as a starting point.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
Street tires I set at 37/35 and forget about them. I don't ride hard enough to notice the difference in performance. I do notice when my tires are low though. The bike handles like a tractor and the tire wear is very accelerated.
I also set mine at 35F/ 37R on both sport and sport/touring tires. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If you are reading tire pressure off the side of the tire that is the max tire pressure for the tire. Use the tire pressure in the owners manual as a starting point.

Please, take a look @ the manual what pressure suggests when you’ re alone, two or with saddlebags. See? All the same pressure...
Now, think!!

I was doing my 12k maintenance and noticed that my front tire (PR4's) recommends PSI 42.  This whole time I've been doing 42 rear/36 front, because I've been following the manual.  Forgot about the tire change.  Who here is running PR4's and do you run at 42 psi?

42 psi on tire is maximum rating for weight and speed, not recommended. All tire manufacturers defer to motorcycle msnufacturer for pressure recommendations for riding.

Have run 36f/42r cold on the FJ-09 its whole life. Including PR4. The FJR usually needs a few more in the front to maintain sidewall stiffness if not using a GT model. You can always google some fun weekend reading and youtubing on checking and targeting differences in warm and cold tire temps, reading tire wear indications of over or under heating, etc.

dont run the 36-42 combo, its not the proper pressure for this bike. its just a tyre-category guide for the 120-180 front rear combo... all brands suggest the same tyre influation... i dont care what the sticker says, i have tested from 2015 different pressures and have settled with 33-35 combo for solo riding, especially summer time. when i put a new tyre for the break in, and the first 300 km, i run 34-38...
if you see the sticker to the new tracer 900 gt model, they have a new combo... taking feedback from the riders just like me and their search all these 3 years worlwide... the pressure is changed to 33-36 solo riding, 36-42 rider + pillion

45715534-10218099668346106-5768217215413256192-n.jpg

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

...if you see the sticker to the new tracer 900 gt model, they have a new combo... taking feedback from the riders just like me and their search all these 3 years worlwide... the pressure is changed to 33-36 solo riding, 36-42 rider + pillion.
Them Engineers should be getting this right out of the box. Feedback from users on tire pressure... really? grin.png
Yamaha is a company that reads and rely on the feedback... well after all this hate buzz and confusion with the wobbling effect they surely did thorough testing be4 they release the new 2018 with better aerodynamics,  narrower handlebars, different hand guard design, rounder edge and the most important the 6cm longer swingarm...  We did almost everything of the mentioned above  with our testing and daily routine... 

gave feedback on the dealers... and me personally had  a good cooparationwith official  Yamaha technical executive  director in my country...

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

I think part of the issue is also the wide spectrum of use the FJ fulfills. For some it's an out-n-out canyon carver, for others a commuter platform, for others a distance touring bike.

Designing to completely meet all these specific end cases is really impossible. So design tradeoffs are made and owners do what they can to compensate.

I believe the longer swing arm is an attempt to optimize the design for touring. We'll see how the hooligan set feels about the GT's handling as time goes on.

On an ST or Concourse there is no confusion about how the bike will be ridden and used. With the flexible FJ platform.... all bets are off.

Pity the poor engineer designing for that scenario!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

windscreen and seat yamaha tried to fix with 2018 tracer900 facelift... windscreen a bit better not good though as our members state.

the seat can only get better in terms of ass feeling and the shape.
the problem is body position, you cant have a sport touring placement like in a multistrada, or a bmw xr1000... you sit in a taller upright position so whatever screen you are using, you cant have a proper protection... 

the bigger problem for fj09 is where it was based (fz09). when you start something from a hooligan fun stunt bike like the fz09 ---> and after some time and the initial success of the naked model, you decide to launch the fj09 based at the fz09... problems occur because of the design trade offs and yamaha cost saving policy (shorter wheelbase, lighter frame, 41mm front with 137 travel in a sport touring bike is not easily encountered across the market)

dont misunderstand me, i like the sport character of 2015-2017 fj09...  i have invested a lot of money and time in upgrading my bike in every aspect... and I dont see the reason to upgrade to the new model .... which in reality is the same bike with minor (for me and my bike as it is) upgrades (screen and looks)... whel f@ck i dont like even the +6cm longer swingarm .... 

the degree of greatness in this bike is shown by the sales across the globe... yamaha found a hidden treasure with mt-09 family and all its variations... 

for me tracer900 - fj09 is a tall -hypermotard feeling - canyon carver- sport bike, with light to medium touring abilities... it can travel you everywhere with some compromises...  as stated.... its a platform