Rotella 15w40

Yes, another oil thread.........

Anyone use it in the FJ in the summer?

The grade is fine for summer temps and it is JASO MA. I know a lot of people seem to run both Rotella 15w40 and 5w40 synthetic in various motorcycles with good results. I believe I have read that the 15w40 (non-synthetic) is actually more shear stable than the 5w40. Bikes would shear oil more due sharing engine/transmission oil. 

Both oils are pretty cost effective compared to motorcycle specific oils and both are meant for heavy duty (diesel) applications. With 15w40 carrying the JASO certification (not sure about 5w40) it seems like a no-brainer. 

Thoughts?

i have read in the manual where it states not to use diesel grade oil...something in that particular oil.  ...sorry when i see 15w40...i just assume diesel.  if you look in your owners manual there is a chart with the different viscosities of oil and their temperature ranges.

hope this helps

Thanks!

I'm not near the bike nor the manual unfortunately. The temp range would be fine, but does it really say to avoid using diesel oils? Rotella is definitely a "diesel" oil, but is motorcycle rated. I believe the spec Yamaha requires and that Rotella 15w40 has is JASO MA. 

4 hours ago, gnr said:

Yes, another oil thread.........

Anyone use it in the FJ in the summer?

The grade is fine for summer temps and it is JASO MA. I know a lot of people seem to run both Rotella 15w40 and 5w40 synthetic in various motorcycles with good results. I believe I have read that the 15w40 (non-synthetic) is actually more shear stable than the 5w40. Bikes would shear oil more due sharing engine/transmission oil. 

Both oils are pretty cost effective compared to motorcycle specific oils and both are meant for heavy duty (diesel) applications. With 15w40 carrying the JASO certification (not sure about 5w40) it seems like a no-brainer. 

Thoughts?

Lol, we get new Rotella threads about once per week.  I am considering starting a whole new board just for Rotella questions. 

As a tip, this forum has a search bar. Click on it and type in "Rotella" and you will see years of Rotalla threads and helpful info. In fact, forum search canusually answer most any tech question that most people have. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Lol, we get new Rotella threads about once per week.  I am considering starting a whole new board just for Rotella questions. 

As a tip, this forum has a search bar. Click on it and type in "Rotella" and you will see years of Rotalla threads and helpful info. In fact, forum search canusually answer most any tech question that most people have. 

Ya' beat me to it. 

You and the other moderators are pretty good about the repeat and redundant topics, I have been on some forums where they weren't so nice, at all!    On many occasions you got the G.I.Y.F. or LMGTFY reply.   😈

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Correct. I did a search on google and didn't find much related to using 15w40 in the FJ. Seems like most guys are using 5w40. 

Mainly wondering if guys are comfortable running the heavier weight oil and non-synthetic oil (when the engine/transmission is cold). 

• Premium Member

Yes, you should search before starting a thread, but Rotella T6 works fine in our bikes. I've used it since my bike was new in 2015.

• Thumbsup 2

Same here, great price. Whenever I see it on sale I buy it for even a better price. Works fine in all my bikes never a problem. two ST1100s, two FJRs, One KLR, and now my '15 FJ-09 along with Fram filters that are according to many -experts- not good for bikes either.

Really sorry to hear that I can't use it since it is only for diesels... Damn.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, huck said:

Same here, great price. Whenever I see it on sale I buy it for even a better price. Works fine in all my bikes never a problem. two ST1100s, two FJRs, One KLR, and now my '15 FJ-09 along with Fram filters that are according to many -experts- not good for bikes either.

Really sorry to hear that I can't use it since it is only for diesels... Damn.

Thanks. Are you using T6 or the 15w40?