12V electric mini tyre pump/ inflator

With a ~ 4500km tour into some fairly remote territory coming up I want to take along a tyre-repair kit (which I have) plus a mini, easy-to-stow electric tyre pump/ inflator.   I'd prefer one I can power direct from the battery terminals as the usual cigarette-lighter socket on the bike's lhs is otherwise taken.

Guidance and recommendations will be much appreciated! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I bought this one when they offered it during their holiday sale for $35 this winter. I haven't used it yet but its pretty small and comes with a variety of power connections. Looking around the internet, it seems that a few other places sell the same compressor. I don't think you will find much smaller than this unless you use one of the manual bicycle pumps that are meant to be carried on a bicycle frame (and would probably take all day to air a tire). 

WWW.AEROSTICH.COM

<p class="indent">This is the smallest, lightest compressor we carry and one of the most efficient you’ll find for its size. This stripped-down mini fits in the palm of your hand and will inflate any motorcycle tire in a couple minutes...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kmev said:

I bought this one when they offered it during their holiday sale for $35 this winter. I haven't used it yet but its pretty small and comes with a variety of power connections. Looking around the internet, it seems that a few other places sell the same compressor. I don't think you will find much smaller than this unless you use one of the manual bicycle pumps that are meant to be carried on a bicycle frame (and would probably take all day to air a tire). 

WWW.AEROSTICH.COM

<p class="indent">This is the smallest, lightest compressor we carry and one of the most efficient you’ll find for its size. This stripped-down mini fits in the palm of your hand and will inflate any motorcycle tire in a couple minutes...

Thanks very much, kmev.   Yours looks very similar to this one below, priced locally at $49.95 + shipping.   It looks a bit agricultural, but has good reviews, and come in a sturdy-looking nylon case.

HL4426.jpg?t=2019-03-03%2018%3A58%3A34

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks for the replies, gents.   Just ordered a Motopressor unit (as shown above by M) on-line (@ AUD $49.95) plus a spare tyre-repair kit (@AUD$44.95), all post-free.   

Just gotta remember to put in with it on the bike a decent a pair of pliers to remove any nail, screw, etc., that may have formed an attachment for my tyre - I doubt I could pull one out just with my fingers if embedded!

• Thumbsup 1

Within only three days both the pump and spare tyre-repair kit arrived.   Very pleased with the pump (it works), and at only 590 grams and palm-of-hand size it will fit comfortably into my luggage.   It comes with a chunky-looking bag and a five (5) year warranty. 

It has a number of options to power it from the bike: I think I'll wire-in to the battery the two leads with the terminals attached so that I can then plug the pump in directly to the SAE connector.   I'll also take a useful tip from here and attach a small carabiner so that the pump, if in use, can be suspended out of the roadside mud!   Looks like a good buy - just hope I never have to use it!

P1050162.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

I have a $45 Blackburn bicycle pump that pumps my mountain bike tires up to 100 psi. Has a high pressure flip switch. It’s small and packs extremely well and fits the straight valve stems perfect. It takes about 60 strokes to fill the tire. If your on the side of the road, 60 pumps isn’t bad considering. Especially if you have a buddy. Most compressors duty cycle suck and take awhile to cool and not melt stuff. 

I have the CyclePump unit which is a highly rated pump and I carry it mostly for ballast and the ability to say “at least I tried!”.   I have no confidence that it would do anything other than give me something to throw in anger.  I’ve tried it at home and after blowing a number of fuses I finally got it to turn on.  First, the thing is as loud as a jackhammer. Holy crap, keep your earplugs in.  Second, it is finicky. The hoses had to be Just So in order to get air coming out the right place, but; Third the thing bounces around like a bull in a rodeo just after the chute opens. This thing just jumps and bucks and wants to go everywhere, when you recall point 2, you try to get it under control and run into: Fifth, the thing gets hot enough to cook naan on it. I even ruined a pair of riding gloves while holding it down in my garage, only to have the leather seared and crackled.

CP-A-2T.jpg
WWW.PASHNITMOTO.COM

Compact Travel Air Compressor for Motorcycles and Sport-Touring Travel Motorcyclists

So I still carry it in my saddlebag (even though it’s not very light or practical), and also carry a bicycle pump (which I’ve used a lot, actually). 

Edited by maximo
  • Haha 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

12 minutes ago, maximo said:

I have the CyclePump unit which is a highly rated pump and I carry it mostly for ballast and the ability to say “at least I tried!”.   I have no confidence that it would do anything other than give me something to throw in anger.  I’ve tried it at home and after blowing a number of fuses I finally got it to turn on.  First, the thing is as loud as a jackhammer. Holy crap, keep your earplugs in.  Second, it is finicky. The hoses had to be Just So in order to get air coming out the right place, but; Third the thing bounces around like a bull in a rodeo just after the chute opens. This thing just jumps and bucks and wants to go everywhere, when you recall point 2, you try to get it under control and run into: Fifth, the thing gets hot enough to cook naan on it. I even ruined a pair of riding gloves while holding it down in my garage, only to have the leather seared and crackled. 

<cyclepump pic>

So I still carry it in my saddlebag (even though it’s not very light or practical), and also carry a bicycle pump (which I’ve used a lot, actually). 

LOL, brought back memories of the one time I used mine to air up after a roadside flat repair. Without it, getting the bike home would have been expensive and a lot more time! :)

Edited by BakerBoy
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximo said:

5 solid selling points.  I need no further convincing... 🤣

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I cracked that noise, heat and vibration nut with my MotoPump through solid engineering.   Using the entire case as a heat sync is one approach.  Efficiency, balance, low friction, air flow and vibration absorption is a better one...

Rob 

Someone mentioned cig adapter... isn't the panel stuff wired and fused for 2A? Most compressors I've checked need more. 

One of my bikes has a fancy one from 'Stich, the other has the cheapest thing available at Walmart with the clamshell stripped off and added clamps for running off battery. Hang it off the bike while running so it can jump and get hot all it wants. 

Both work and have been used many times after plugging with sticky strings. I like remote goat trails :)

Edited by chitown
typo

• Premium Member

I bought this a couple of years ago for about 45 bucks, they still sell it at cycle gear but without all the attachments very light and compact relatively smooth and quiet I'm actually pretty impressed with it and it's relatively light weight, and has an LED light and a port to check air pressure while you're filling it. the gauge that comes with it isn't that accurate though but I use a slime digital that was pretty cheap

20190312_230932.jpg

20190312_230924.jpg

20190312_230918.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Not that I have yet used it in anger - and hope never to have to - but my newly-purchased Motopressor unit (pix above) clacks noisily away like a pair of cheap false teeth, and hops around like a demented grasshopper!   But I can live with that if it does the job!

• Thumbsup 1