• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

To goo or un-goo, that is the question

To goo or un-goo, that is the question!  

54 members have voted

1. 1. To goo or un-goo, that is the question

• Remove the goo portion of the Tracer goo GT graphics
    • Leave it as delivered, I like goo!

• Supporting Member

I like the bike with out the cheap decals. But one thing would shout out to me, if I went to look at it as a used bike buyer. The bike was dumped!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

22 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I like the bike with out the cheap decals. But one thing would shout out to me, if I went to look at it as a used bike buyer. The bike was dumped!

Define cheap, I just spent 50 bucks on two tracer emblems and goo's.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Good point but who would repair and repaint it and then not restore the decals? Only someone who doesn’t like them just as is the case now.

9 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Define cheap, I just spent 50 bucks on two tracer emblems and goo's.

Cheaper than Kawasaki. One stripe decal (on the side panel with the blinker) is 50€.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Was talking to a guy about getting mine wrapped, he called up a pic online and said he’d have to pull/reuse the badges and the existing graphics would have to go.

Told him they were removed before it had been in my garage for a full 24 hours...only ones I fought with a little were the ones on the tank.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:34 AM, petshark said:

Cheaper than Kawasaki. One stripe decal (on the side panel with the blinker) is 50€.

On my 2012 CBR600RR one of the decals for the fairing was 2/3 of the fairing price.  Both decals were more than the fairing price - which came WITH the decals installed!  Instead of repainting and putting a new decal on i just bought a fairing.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

On my 2012 CBR600RR one of the decals for the fairing was 2/3 of the fairing price.  Both decals were more than the fairing price - which came WITH the decals installed!  Instead of repainting and putting a new decal on i just bought a fairing.  

On the Versys it was 180 euros for the ABS cowling and 50 euros for the stripe decal. And they refuse to do something about the fact that if you drop the bike the blinker cracks that fairing every time.

I've wondered if noone ever tried to build a bike (or car for that matter) ordering all parts separately. You would think that the sum should be the price of the bike minus the labour and factory costs. Instead it wouldn't surprise me that a built-from-new-parts vehicle is 10 times more expensive than new.

Let's say a motorcycle brand decides not to screw their clients over on parts and use a standard profit margin. A fairing would cost 15 euro and a vinyl decal 3 euro perhaps? They are still mass produced.

Wouldn't everyone just buy that brand? Wouldn't they make a lot more profit in the end?

4 minutes ago, petshark said:

On the Versys it was 180 euros for the ABS cowling and 50 euros for the stripe decal. And they refuse to do something about the fact that if you drop the bike the blinker cracks that fairing every time.

I've wondered if noone ever tried to build a bike (or car for that matter) ordering all parts separately. You would think that the sum should be the price of the bike minus the labour and factory costs. Instead it wouldn't surprise me that a built-from-new-parts vehicle is 10 times more expensive than new.

Let's say a motorcycle brand decides not to screw their clients over on parts and use a standard profit margin. A fairing would cost 15 euro and a vinyl decal 3 euro perhaps? They are still mass produced.

Just like anything, it's the economy of scale. When in production they naturally have a huge price margin since they are actively ordering in quantity. But when production stops, you still have to support the product. That is unless you're a certain UK brand called Triumph. So I'm guessing they base their prices on their vendors minimum order quantity right off the bat, doubly expensive when it comes to model/year specific parts like body work.

10 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Just like anything, it's the economy of scale. When in production they naturally have a huge price margin since they are actively ordering in quantity. But when production stops, you still have to support the product. That is unless you're a certain UK brand called Triumph. So I'm guessing they base their prices on their vendors minimum order quantity right off the bat, doubly expensive when it comes to model/year specific parts like body work.

I considered making the distinction between current and discontinued model parts when I wrote this as the 2021 Versys is still the 3rd gen model from 2015 which the same badly designed blinker and fairing. They must sell thousands of these all the time and will continue to do so as long as this model continues to be ridden.

I still stand by the idea that if a manufacturer were to use a fixed profit margin and have their parts prices fluctuate with the market they would quickly get a huge loyal client base.

If you visit shopping malls in China and see all those much more complex big plastic toys including loads of electronics sell for almost nothing that makes me think that a minimum order of a fairing piece would still only cost them a few bucks a piece. I have a feeling that these prices are not linked to anything but have to make up for the very low profit margin on the complete bikes. Just like with printers and ink I estimate they use factor 10 at least. One more reason to ungoo! (lame attempt to get back on topic 🤣)

Edited by petshark