To goo or un-goo, that is the question

To goo or un-goo, that is the question!  

54 members have voted

1. 1. To goo or un-goo, that is the question

• Remove the goo portion of the Tracer goo GT graphics
    • Leave it as delivered, I like goo!

• Supporting Member

Has anybody un-gooed the decals on the top of the r/h tank panel? Do they come off as easily as the front mudguard/fender one ?

Cheers,

Kenny.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

18 minutes ago, Kenny A. said:

Has anybody un-gooed the decals on the top of the r/h tank panel? Do they come off as easily as the front mudguard/fender one ?

Cheers,

Kenny.

Mine all came off easily with  a little heat from a hairdryer...front fender, side panels, and the ones up near the gas tank

1 hour ago, motopumps said:

You could really mess with folks and put a BMW Roundel on there...

articleInline.jpg

😱

Ha! Had a used DRZ400SM that prior owner had removed all the decals from. For some reason that bike got more "What is that?" than any other. My buddy finally had some made up for me just to mess with folks:

IMG_20190402_115042006.jpg.ff241295c256033f4f3ab6ead78241c9.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, Kenny A. said:

Cheers,

Kenny.

• Supporting Member

Thanks for that. Will take these these decals off tomorrow. Hairdryer at the ready. lol.

Cheers,

Kenny.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Kenny A. said:

Thanks for that. Will take these these decals off tomorrow. Hairdryer at the ready. lol.

Cheers,

Kenny.

Yup.  All of them are on top of the paint and come off easily with a little heat and care.

Rob

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, motopumps said:

Yup.  All of them are on top of the paint and come off easily with a little heat and care.

Rob

That's good to know. Wasn't sure if they would come off o.k.  Thanks.

Kenny.

Please do not use any form of hard scraper to remove the tank-top sticker - it's put on with Kryptonite.   On an earlier Tracer I found the best way to remove the sticker was to simply heat it up with a hair-dryer, then scrape away with a thumb-nail, the sticker coming off in small bits.   Tedious work, but while it ruins the thumb-nail (which will re-grow) it avoids ruining the tank, which would not! 

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, wordsmith said:

Please do not use any form of hard scraper to remove the tank-top sticker - it's put on with Kryptonite.   On an earlier Tracer I found the best way to remove the sticker was to simply heat it up with a hair-dryer, then scrape away with a thumb-nail, the sticker coming off in small bits.   Tedious work, but while it ruins the thumb-nail (which will re-grow) it avoids ruining the tank, which would not! 

Job done.👍🏻 Pulled decal off slowly while heating with hairdryer. Some adhesive left on tank,but after using goo-gone several times and finishing off with matte paint polish/cleaner,there is no sign of any decal being there and matte paint looks perfect. Very happy with result.🙂 Thanks for all advice.

Kenny.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

I have to replace the left side cowling (#40 in pic below). The Yamaha emblem (#63 in pic below) is about $20 which I'm not going to pay for and the "Tracer 900" sticker (#69 in pic below) I don't care about. Is it relatively easy to remove this emblem and transfer it to the new cowling and what type of glue would you recommend? Thanks everyone. :)

image.png

Edited by KillEmAll4u

16 hours ago, KillEmAll4u said:

I have to replace the left side cowling (#40 in pic below). The Yamaha emblem (#63 in pic below) is about $20 which I'm not going to pay for and the "Tracer 900" sticker (#69 in pic below) I don't care about. Is it relatively easy to remove this emblem and transfer it to the new cowling and what type of glue would you recommend? Thanks everyone. :)

image.png

The round emblem (63) is very easy to remove.  I used a $20 Princess Auto (see: Harbour Freight) heat gun and it popped off without any effort at all - it's made of hard plastic, and there's a hole in the fairing behind it so you can push it off.  The raised "TRACER" and flat "gooGT" portions are also very easy to remove with said heat gun, but they will not transfer: with any heat, they get super soft and distort.  The raised TRACER part is basically thick vinyl, not hard plastic badging like you'd find with a car badge.

I pulled all of those off my fairings before wrapping them in vinyl.  Put the round emblems back on where they belong but on top of the vinyl with automotive trim tape from the local hardware store. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 months later...