Ivan's Performance ECU flash now available for the Tracer 900 & 900GT

Nope my engine is smooth at any RPM range and not "abrupt" anywhere, only thing I notice is it most certainly doesn't like to be lugged in a higher gear at lower RPM's. Matter of fact I love A mode the most, I think it overall runs the best in that mode. 

On 4/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, Yamajank said:

Too soon to tell on mpg...the claim fro Ivan’s site is that it will be better.  The flash does not correct the speedo...off by 1.5-2. 

have around 3k miles on Ivan's flash- I've lost an average of 2 mpg , running a Graves exhaust- could be a happier wrist; however, I had the bike run on a Dyno, pretty fat fuel curve in the lower RPMs...beware the clogging Cat...

• Confused 1

I have about 3000 miles on Ivan's flash as well. My biggest complaint is the smell. I feel like it is *way* too rich. What can be done about the cat, really, except remove it with an exhaust upgrade.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

I have about 3000 miles on Ivan's flash as well. My biggest complaint is the smell. I feel like it is *way* too rich. What can be done about the cat, really, except remove it with an exhaust upgrade.

Just that, lose the cat! It's likely to get plugged up eventually dealing with a rich A/F ratio, eh. Doesn't have to be a full system, think there are several muffler upgrades that the delete the cat. It's a heavy sumbitch anyways...

• 6 months later...
On 4/22/2021 at 4:01 AM, petshark said:

Was your Versys a 1000 or 650? My 2019 Versys 650 was a lot smoother and I imagine the 4 cylinder 1000 will be a lot smoother still. The 650 had character and could be abrupt so I had to learn to be smooth on the throttle but it felt completely normal and a lot of fun. I never had any complaints. The tracer however is never smooth and only pleasant to ride in high RPM's above the buzzing range. See my recent thread about this. Still I had two dealers ride it and they said it was normal (within the warranty period).

Seeing this makes me think that this engine is actually quite delicate and there are lots of small issues going around. If you follow facebook groups and this forum, the riders who say their 900 is that smooth are a small minority. Even from brand new most riders report shuddering and buzzing and needing things like ECU flashes but think that this is just the character of the engine.

What I would give to get the smoothness you describe.

Mine is not smooth unless it's accelerating.  When you're on the throttle it's very smooth, but idling it's decidedly not. REALLY not if you've got it in neutral with the clutch engaged. The booster plug went a long way to correcting that, but it's being swapped out for exhaust & flash which should have roughly the same ends.  Good helping of @bwringer's Gronk when holding steady minimal throttle.  

I'd go so far as to say this: The Tracer 900 is not a fun bike to ride around slowly, at least not stock.  It's shaky, noisy, and jerky.  I've had way worse, of course, but there's a cross section of issues that while either they don't affect everyone equally or people are not equally sensitive to, but they're very common.  Rattling when in neutral and clutch engaged, roughness at low-rpm/minimal throttle,  a very klunky front end when going over bumps, a fairly twitchy throttle in general, and a constant feeling of it really wanting more throttle if you're not currently accelerating.  There's multiple sources here.  The clutch basket is one, fueling is another, the decel injector cut a third.  Maybe more, too.  

On the other hand, it is *super* fun to take out on twisty roads or highways.  Once you get it going, it's much happier.  Fixing the fueling is simply with a booster plug, or a flash to fix it and the injector cutoff.  Hopefully the new clutch basket will correct the rest.  

• Thumbsup 1

I completely agree and have come a long way since I wrote that post

While the issues are not 100% resolved, I am happy to say that I am now familiar with that smoothness! The ECU flash is a big part of it, but mostly I've learned to rev it a lot higher.

I now feel very comfortable just staying in 1st gear through city centers (always in A mode). Meanwhile 2nd gear has stolen the crown from 3rd gear as the most used. I find that I don't use more fuel riding 90 km/h in 2nd compared to 3rd or 4th gear. And I guess that it's better for being noticed in traffic as well. I rarely do highways and there are no long winding roads to be found here. So it's mostly small backroads. (there's very dense traffic in this country)

All this has made me a lot happier with the bike. I did a few test rides recently with other bikes that interest me and the Tracer still knocked them out of the park as an all-round package.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, Larz said:

Just that, lose the cat! It's likely to get plugged up eventually dealing with a rich A/F ratio, eh. Doesn't have to be a full system, think there are several muffler upgrades that the delete the cat. It's a heavy sumbitch anyways...

There's a Scorpion slip for the Yamaha Tracers from Moto Machines
There may be other vendors

https://www.motomachines.com/scorpion-serket-taper-slip-on-exhaust-yamaha-fj-09-mt-09-tracer-2015-2019

• Thumbsup 1