Ivan's Performance ECU flash now available for the Tracer 900 & 900GT

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Dark&Stormy said:

Does the Ivan's flash correct the speedometer?

Ivan's doesn't specifically list it but I would call to verify.

2Wheeldynoworks does list it as a feature of their flash.

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, Dark&Stormy said:

Really? Mines off by 5mph (2015 model)

I do have a GT and not an FJ-9.....perhaps that matters? Matter of fact this has been the most accurate speedo of any motorcycle I have owned, and I have owned more than a few. :)

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

My FJ is out enough that I'm basically holding up traffic yet the speedo reads the speed limit.  I'm still considering the ABS rings to sort that out.  Next tire swap maybe :)

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 2 months later...

So I got the ECU back from Ivan.  I'm waiting to go for a few more rides to give my final verdict.  With the weather and not having time, it's been a struggle to get out there.  I'll say this so far.  It does feel smoother on throttle.  It does feel like there is less vibration when cruising.  Engine braking at least after 2nd gear does seem more tame.  I'll leave it at that for now. 

I have to say that of all the bikes I've had, I just can't imagine how my 900 could be any smoother. The darn thing is so smooth in 1st gear off the line and at all speeds 0-30 that my wrist feels magical. It's one of the most remarkable things about the OEM ECU and engine that it is so smooth at all speeds, and spins right up to the rev limiter like butter. It pulls like a bull, and is stead like eddy. My Concours, FJR, Capo 1200 and Versys all had much worse throttle response and smoothness. This darn 900 amazes me. I've heard the earlier FJ09's had a snatchy throttle and maybe an ECU flash would really help that, but for anyone thinking of a newer 900 I would suggest they ride it a good long while before thinking they need a flash. That's my $.02. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 minutes ago, Mattf said:

How does the tune affect gas mileage? My speedo is only of by 1 mph at 65. Most accurate of any bike I've owned.

Too soon to tell on mpg...the claim fro Ivan’s site is that it will be better.  The flash does not correct the speedo...off by 1.5-2. 

6 hours ago, Salish900 said:

I have to say that of all the bikes I've had, I just can't imagine how my 900 could be any smoother. The darn thing is so smooth in 1st gear off the line and at all speeds 0-30 that my wrist feels magical. It's one of the most remarkable things about the OEM ECU and engine that it is so smooth at all speeds, and spins right up to the rev limiter like butter. It pulls like a bull, and is stead like eddy. My Concours, FJR, Capo 1200 and Versys all had much worse throttle response and smoothness. This darn 900 amazes me. I've heard the earlier FJ09's had a snatchy throttle and maybe an ECU flash would really help that, but for anyone thinking of a newer 900 I would suggest they ride it a good long while before thinking they need a flash. That's my $.02. 

I would mostly agree with you accept for the fuel cut issue.  I won't try to explain it.  It's on Ivan's website.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, Salish900 said:

Was your Versys a 1000 or 650? My 2019 Versys 650 was a lot smoother and I imagine the 4 cylinder 1000 will be a lot smoother still. The 650 had character and could be abrupt so I had to learn to be smooth on the throttle but it felt completely normal and a lot of fun. I never had any complaints. The tracer however is never smooth and only pleasant to ride in high RPM's above the buzzing range. See my recent thread about this. Still I had two dealers ride it and they said it was normal (within the warranty period).

Seeing this makes me think that this engine is actually quite delicate and there are lots of small issues going around. If you follow facebook groups and this forum, the riders who say their 900 is that smooth are a small minority. Even from brand new most riders report shuddering and buzzing and needing things like ECU flashes but think that this is just the character of the engine.

What I would give to get the smoothness you describe.

• Premium Member

I can't see why you would take a bike that is all tuned from the  factory and spend the  money to put on a pipe that is then out of optimal tune and louder.  Are you  trying to go faster?  There's ways to do that that  don't cost $1000 and annoy your  neighbors.   Spend that money on a  riding school or a stack of tires and you'll have better results.  Just  my humble opinion.