What do you think of the OEM tires?

I have only put 500 miles on the GT so far and the OEM tires seem to be adequate for the intended purpose but not inspiring by any means.  I have some reservations about how much grip they provide but have run them into some curves at a somewhat spirited pace.  Would like to have a set of the Roadsmart 3 mounted but hate to waste the OEM tires.  These are not nearly as lousy as the OEM rubber that came with my Ninja 1000.

Share you thought on the D222 if you don't mind.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

They are fine for general riding or commuting but didn’t impress me at all for sportier riding.  I picked up a large nail in mine just over 4,000 miles and wasn’t upset at having to change them out early.

I currently run Bridgestone S21 sport tires on mine, but also have sport touring tires on the shelf in the garage. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was just riding in the rain. Third gear, gave it a bit and the rear started to step out before traction control kicked in.

Pirelli Angel GT's on other bikes with similar power are miles ahead in the wet. 

Same story in the dry really, the stock rubber is cheap junk. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

So, at the risk of opening a giant can of tire and suspension worms, here’s my positive-spin thought:   “The D222s are a great match for the factory suspension!”  :D

In my world, that translates to “the D222s started getting greasy just about the time the stock suspension was totally overwhelmed.”   Depending on your riding style and interests, both may be fine.  BUT... for me a suspension upgrade was transformational on my bike, and much stickier rubber was a necessity.   Mine is a 2015 FJ, and not a GT, so add your own grain of salt   Your mileage may vary; offer not valid in Ohio and Guam... 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

“The D222s are a great match for the factory suspension!”  :D

In my world, that translates to “the D222s started getting greasy just about the time the stock suspension was totally overwhelmed.”   

Scott, that is the perfect description. Thank you. 

Even more incentive to get the suspension upgraded. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I am at 4,000 miles on my D222 and I'll probably run them to 6,000 miles.  They are adequate, they get the job done, good enough that I won't discard them early for better tires.

I live in Colorado, near lots of curvy roads, my chicken strips are about the thickness of a plain yellow lead pencil, not the lead, the whole pencil.  I am not good enough to slide the tires in a curve.  And I am not crazy enough to go down.  I cannot claim to be a good judge of what a sticky tire does, but confidence is in the mind.  If I have confidence in a tire, I will push it more.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

The stock tires aren't great, but I don't feel the need to change them before they wear out. However, once the rear wears out i will definitely change them out to another brand. As already stated above, the tires get the job done and I regularly end up getting it low enough to scrape the peg (and centrestand) when cornering during spirited rides. Having said that I haven't got much experience of them in the rain 

Screenshot_20190530-092754.png

• Thumbsup 3

I've ridden with them extensively in the rain and through the winter. Didn't find them at all scary and very communicative approaching the limit. Having said that, will definitely try something else when they're worn.

My initial thoughts were to get rid of them for the Roadsmart 3 or maybe even the Metzeler M7RR.  My last new bike I got rid of the OEM tires at about 800 miles as they were not to my liking.  I think these are decent enough to keep for a while but will probably not keep them until they are fully worn.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

The stock tires seem to be ok enough not to replace them until they're worn.  I just replaced mine at 4500 miles.  About 1/2 of the miles were fairly aggressive riding.  Not a bad tire overall.  I've had far worse OEM tires on new bikes.

Edited by fjrpittsburgh
  • Thumbsup 1

I wasn't a big fan of the stock tires in the rain but other than that they were pretty good. They didn't seem to wear all that bad either compared to other tires I had on other bikes. 

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Repeat after me: tires and suspension first.

IMO they're pretty crap but fairly predictable. If only commuting would probably use em up but otherwise no regrets tossing them early. Like Roadsmarts the rears are just average and the fronts are easily overwhelmed. No regrets tossing them and replacing with my preferred Michelin Power front + Road rear combo.  

• Thumbsup 4

They're not bad, not great. I'll be swapping to some PR5s once they wear out. I had PR4s on my FZ09, and they're a phenomenal street tire. Excellent grip in the cold rain, and more than enough dry grip. Longevity was insane too - I got over 20,000 miles on a set.

Edited by thejrod

I am no racer, in fact I am probably one of those individuals who slow the traffic. 😎. The only difference I can tell bwtween tires is when I get a flat. To me, the only criteria I have about a tire is miles/$ 🤗. And BTW, the OEM tires on GT are just fine...

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Luma46 said:

I am no racer, in fact I am probably one of those individuals who slow the traffic. 😎. The only difference I can tell bwtween tires is when I get a flat. To me, the only criteria I have about a tire is miles/$ 🤗. And BTW, the OEM tires on GT are just fine...

You could save a fortune just using everyone’s oem tires that they don’t want. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4