Touring screen

Hi, 

I am looking for some advice please, I have a new 2019 MT09 GT on order and have tried a demonstrator which was pretty amazing!!  However it seems clear to me I will need a better screen as the new adjustable screen did not give me sufficient wind and noise protection. (I am 6ft tall)

Do other owners have any recent experience please of either Yamaha's own taller touring screen or the Puig equivalent please?

I know there are other makes as well but obviously wanted one that is known to fit correctly and of high quality. 

Cheap no cost solution- remove the stock screen and enjoy the fresh air-many of us go to this route till the temps dip below 45°F ... no turbulence or loud wind noise... 

As for a windscreen that works- too many variables to find one that works... Some people are sensitive turbulence, or don't care about turbulence but are sensitive to noise... Helmet plays a factor... 

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Many have changed out the stock screen for something shorter.  The stock screen seems to create a lot of turbulence and wind noise.  I am 6' 1" and went with the Puig sport screen and it was a big improvement.  I think the MRA sport screen seems to be the most popular choice but a good bit more expensive.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks, I really want to go for a touring type screen, the Yamaha site lists theirs at 88mm wider and 94mm taller than the original but is very expensive at £148 (approx $186) the MRA Vario looks very interesting and is much cheaper at £108 UK. The Puig touring screen is a slightly different shape but I know they are good quality so will have to try and decide which way to go!

• Premium Member

I think you should ride the bike for a few weeks before going for a screen.  I had a similar first experience as yours on the demo ride and the first few rides so I ordered the Yamaha touring screen.  But the Yamaha touring screen was not much different and after about 1000 miles I put the OEM screen back and I have forgotten that I didn't like it at first - I can't really explain why it turned out this way for me, after all the touring screen is much larger.  Bottom line, if you must try another screen, try something other than the Yamaha screen.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Thanks for all the advice.  I suppose I am getting slightly ahead of myself as I haven't actually got the bike yet, but the demo did seem very loud at speed and I am used to a Puig touring screen on my old Honda 750. Hopefully I will get to run the bike in during some decent summer weather so I suppose I should try the OEM screen fully at first before finally making up my mind, but at 6ft tall I do like the idea of a decent size screen with a deflector and your experiences with various makes really helps.   Thanks again

On 6/17/2019 at 7:01 AM, rockapple said:

I installed this and it works an absolute treat. Drafts the air flow nicely brushing the top of my helmet, and in a nice smooth way. I'm 5'10", may not work for much taller folks.

MRA X-creen Sport Motorcycle Windshield Spoiler/Deflector

Did the same. Not ideal, but better than stock...