Jump to content
quaxum

Tracer GT Sargent Seats

Recommended Posts

(1)  I've plenty of past very positive experience with BAGSTER seats on Gen 1 Tracers.

(2)  dazzler24 may chip-in here as he is currently running his new BAGSTER seat.

(3)  my own new BAGSTER seat for my 2019 GT is currently being made.   Expected in about 5 weeks - and will then report.


Wordsmith - a '39 model; bike - a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, Midnight Black and with many farklings.   Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wordsmith said:

(1)  I've plenty of past very positive experience with BAGSTER seats on Gen 1 Tracers.

(2)  dazzler24 may chip-in here as he is currently running his new BAGSTER seat.

(3)  my own new BAGSTER seat for my 2019 GT is currently being made.   Expected in about 5 weeks - and will then report.

Thanks! will be waiting for your review!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and to make sure Bagster info from the "other place" gets picked up on the GT section.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received my Sargent seat today and wanted to post a couple of pics.  Been following the seat threads for the GT and wasn't feeling too warm and fuzzy about the Sargent's arrival, but now that it's installed, it just might be okay.  Will ride it tomorrow and post up my seat-of-the-pants comments afterward.

First and foremost, I don't believe the Sargent was designed for installing in the OEM Low position.  Have no idea why this is, but that's just my opinion. There's excessive gap at the nose of the seat, as if the pan's length is just too short - period.  The fit is definitely not up to the standards that I've experienced with all my previous Sargents on previous bikes.  Again, just my opinion.  The below 2 pics are of the rider seat in the Low position.

DSC03411.thumb.JPG.efc0804cf166726b4df1b1d3739299fb.JPG

 

DSC03412.thumb.JPG.ba5fb6f36dc16f834b83a082934e7733.JPG

 

Then, I moved the adjustment bracket to the High position, and the result was a much better fit i.e., no gap between seat nose and tank.

 

DSC03413.thumb.JPG.56e136e9381260ce34dbd2150fca7d4e.JPG

 

DSC03414.thumb.JPG.2532b5d3f02658c967c7229575a47d5b.JPG

 

Then I installed the pillion seat, the fit of which is VERY snug.  It took some mild profanities to get it done, but it did finally fit.   Just like the rider's seat, the pillion is a bit wider and slightly flatter than the OEM's contour.  Seems like the bearing surface is better configured.  Here's a pic... 

 

DSC03407.thumb.JPG.19343d5638605f542f8f44daedfe3496.JPG

 

Took 2 pics from the side to hopefully show how the nose of the Sargent is not swept up like the OEM seat, and also to show how the seat has been flattened, or dished out a bit, at its rear.  This is a noticeable difference from the OEM's contour, which inclines upward at the rear of the seat.  Definitely explains why I and many others constantly feel a forward decline into the upswept nose of the OEM seat, which crunches the jewels just a bit too much.  You can see how the Sargent's nose is fairly level at the nose and slightly dished at the rear from the below pics.

 

DSC03409.thumb.JPG.4a82c898f9db67dcef620127158273cb.JPG

 

DSC03410.thumb.JPG.e7c7e0b7f9685e73bd4a923f55f9e144.JPG

 

Bottom line . . . this seat, at least on my GT, and in my opinion only, is made for the High position.  The nose is also tapered on the sides, allowing my feet to easily touch the ground, even though the seat's in the High setting.  Will see how it all feels on the road tomorrow and report back.  We shall see...

 

 

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same concerns about the fit as you.  I have owned Sargent seats for two of my previous bikes and the fit was as good as the OEM seat.  My understanding is that Sargent fabricated this seat pan from their own pan developed for the FJ-09.  


There is noting like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, whistler said:

Received my Sargent seat today and wanted to post a couple of pics.  Been following the seat threads for the GT and wasn't feeling too warm and fuzzy about the Sargent's arrival, but now that it's installed, it just might be okay.  Will ride it tomorrow and post up my seat-of-the-pants comments afterward.

First and foremost, I don't believe the Sargent was designed for installing in the OEM Low position.  Have no idea why this is, but that's just my opinion. There's excessive gap at the nose of the seat, as if the pan's length is just too short - period.  The fit is definitely not up to the standards that I've experienced with all my previous Sargents on previous bikes.  Again, just my opinion.  The below 2 pics are of the rider seat in the Low position.

DSC03411.thumb.JPG.efc0804cf166726b4df1b1d3739299fb.JPG

 

DSC03412.thumb.JPG.ba5fb6f36dc16f834b83a082934e7733.JPG

 

Then, I moved the adjustment bracket to the High position, and the result was a much better fit i.e., no gap between seat nose and tank.

 

DSC03413.thumb.JPG.56e136e9381260ce34dbd2150fca7d4e.JPG

 

DSC03414.thumb.JPG.2532b5d3f02658c967c7229575a47d5b.JPG

 

Then I installed the pillion seat, the fit of which is VERY snug.  It took some mild profanities to get it done, but it did finally fit.   Just like the rider's seat, the pillion is a bit wider and slightly flatter than the OEM's contour.  Seems like the bearing surface is better configured.  Here's a pic... 

 

DSC03407.thumb.JPG.19343d5638605f542f8f44daedfe3496.JPG

 

Took 2 pics from the side to hopefully show how the nose of the Sargent is not swept up like the OEM seat, and also to show how the seat has been flattened, or dished out a bit, at its rear.  This is a noticeable difference from the OEM's contour, which inclines upward at the rear of the seat.  Definitely explains why I and many others constantly feel a forward decline into the upswept nose of the OEM seat, which crunches the jewels just a bit too much.  You can see how the Sargent's nose is fairly level at the nose and slightly dished at the rear from the below pics.

 

DSC03409.thumb.JPG.4a82c898f9db67dcef620127158273cb.JPG

 

DSC03410.thumb.JPG.e7c7e0b7f9685e73bd4a923f55f9e144.JPG

 

Bottom line . . . this seat, at least on my GT, and in my opinion only, is made for the High position.  The nose is also tapered on the sides, allowing my feet to easily touch the ground, even though the seat's in the High setting.  Will see how it all feels on the road tomorrow and report back.  We shall see...

 

 

Thank you! Appreciate it! Waiting for your detailed ride review! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No diss to Sargent, who appear to have a good rep, but that's pretty poor.   It looks to me as if they've rushed into production before they had it right.   Unless they can do better it will surely harm their brand-reputation.

  • Thumbsup 1

Wordsmith - a '39 model; bike - a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, Midnight Black and with many farklings.   Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, dk if anyone noticed. this seems to be their ori version of the seat. It looks like its better optimized for the GT. dk why they changed the design. Anyone can talk to sargent about it?

 

Pic is not mine. Saw it on Tracer Gt Thread on ADVrider i think. Credits to the owner.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.16.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.15.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.15.22.jpeg

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks much better...

  • Thumbsup 1

Wordsmith - a '39 model; bike - a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, Midnight Black and with many farklings.   Redland Bay, SE Queensland, Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have copied this across from the FJ seat thread and updated it.

johnmark101 cannot get his new Sargent pillion seat to fit, Tracer 900GT.

johnmark101 is not happy with the Sargent rider's seat fit, Tracer 900GT.

3sum thought the Sargent rider's seat fit was fine, Tracer 900 GT.

3sum persevered with the Sargent pillion seat and is able to fit it, Tracer 900GT.

Sargent produced their own Pan for the bike identified as an FJ.

stgolfer has a Sargent seat (the first off) and the seat still slopes, Tracer 900 not GT.

R.C. has a seat on order.

Quaxum posted pics showing a SARGENT, Tracer 900 (including GT) seat PAN and a SARGENT FJ seat pan and they are the , same moulding.

Whistler has received his Sargent seat and commented about difficult pillion seat fit, poor rider seat fit in Low position but "better" in the High position. Whistler posted pics which Def show the Sargent has a flatter rider seat. Quote from Whistler -" in my opinion only, is made for the High position.  The nose is also tapered on the sides, allowing my feet to easily touch the ground, even though the seat's in the High setting".

Quaxum posted pics showing a 900GT with what he believes is a Sargent FJ09 seat fitted. This reaffirms that the seat Pans are interchangeable. Posters opinion the fit looks better than the new Sargent seat.

Edited by flyfifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wordsmith said:

No diss to Sargent, who appear to have a good rep, but that's pretty poor.   It looks to me as if they've rushed into production before they had it right.   Unless they can do better it will surely harm their brand-reputation.

I have to agree.  I have seen many Sargent seats in the past and they all fit the bike, I'm not sure what they were thinking by releasing this to the public... and charging money for it.  The photo of the seat in the low position with the huge gap, its like they didn't even try.  Sargent usually puts out a quality product, I hope they fix this issue and offer to re-do the seat to make it fit correctly.


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, quaxum said:

Also, dk if anyone noticed. this seems to be their ori version of the seat. It looks like its better optimized for the GT. dk why they changed the design. Anyone can talk to sargent about it?

 

Pic is not mine. Saw it on Tracer Gt Thread on ADVrider i think. Credits to the owner.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.16.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.15.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-05 at 12.15.22.jpeg

That actually looks like it fits correctly and looks very nice on the bike.  Much closer to the usual Sargent quality fit and finish.

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I've been called out, I guess I better share my experience.  I purchased the rider seat only.

The registration tab on the seat was not long enough to engage in the receiver hole in the frame. This resulted in some side-to-side movement at the rear of the seat.  I fixed this by inserting a piece of 1/2 inch ID vinyl hose into the receiver hole and left enough sticking out to grab the registration tab.  (2nd photo)

For the forward slant issue, I put the seat height adjuster plastic piece in the low position.  This makes the rear of the seat low.  And, inserted the tab in the front of the seat into the high position receiver on the bike.  To make this work you have to take up the space between the front rubber bumpers on the seat and the plastic seat height adjustment piece which is the low position.  So, I glued rubber furniture leg tips into the existing bumpers. (1st photo)

I thought the fit to the tank was OK. (3rd photo)

 

 

resize bumpers.JPG

resize registration.JPG

resize side view.JPG

Edited by R.C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I have copied this across from the FJ seat thread and updated it.

johnmark101 cannot get his new Sargent pillion seat to fit, Tracer 900GT.

johnmark101 is not happy with the Sargent rider's seat fit, Tracer 900GT.

3sum thought the Sargent rider's seat fit was fine, Tracer 900 GT.

3sum persevered with the Sargent pillion seat and is able to fit it, Tracer 900GT.

Sargent produced their own Pan for the bike identified as an FJ.

stgolfer has a Sargent seat (the first off) and the seat still slopes, Tracer 900 not GT.

R.C. has a seat on order.

Quaxum posted pics showing a SARGENT, Tracer 900 (including GT) seat PAN and a SARGENT FJ seat pan and they are the , same moulding.

Whistler has received his Sargent seat and commented about difficult pillion seat fit, poor rider seat fit in Low position but "better" in the High position. Whistler posted pics which Def show the Sargent has a flatter rider seat. Quote from Whistler -" in my opinion only, is made for the High position.  The nose is also tapered on the sides, allowing my feet to easily touch the ground, even though the seat's in the High setting".

Quaxum posted pics showing a 900GT with what he believes is a Sargent FJ09 seat fitted. This reaffirms that the seat Pans are interchangeable. Posters opinion the fit looks better than the new Sargent seat.

Thanks for the summary!

 

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

That actually looks like it fits correctly and looks very nice on the bike.  Much closer to the usual Sargent quality fit and finish.

He sent his original seat to sargent to have it done up. Therefore its using the original seat pan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, R.C. said:

Since I've been called out, I guess I better share my experience.  I purchased the rider seat only.

The registration tab on the seat was not long enough to engage in the receiver hole in the frame. This resulted in some side-to-side movement at the rear of the seat.  I fixed this by inserting a piece of 1/2 inch ID vinyl hose into the receiver hole and left enough sticking out to grab the registration tab.  (2nd photo)

For the forward slant issue, I put the seat height adjuster plastic piece in the low position.  This makes the rear of the seat low.  And, inserted the tab in the front of the seat into the high position receiver on the bike.  To make this work you have to take up the space between the front rubber bumpers on the seat and the plastic seat height adjustment piece which is the low position.  So, I glued rubber furniture leg tips into the existing bumpers. (1st photo)

I thought the fit to the tank was OK. (3rd photo)

Good job modifying the mount to get it to fit but the fact that you had to do anything other than gently click it into place is not good.  A finished aftermarket product should fit exactly like oem.

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×