Tracer GT Sargent Seats

quaxum

RC certainty used logic to overcome the issues he found when installing the seat !

It is however ludicrous that those "adaptations" had to be made to a seat supplied by a well established seat producer. 

Furthermore the High Low options are no longer available with those changes. Ridiculous.

RC ---- is it more comfortable !!??

• Thumbsup 1

Q.  RC ---- is it more comfortable !!??

I've only done about 100 miles on it, but YES it is.  I wasn't looking for an excuse to get off the bike after 50 miles. 

The Sargent seat gets rid of the hard central part of the OEM seat.   And, sitting on a wider pan is noticeably more comfortable to me.  

To be clear, the only thing needing a 'fix' was the registration tab.   I elected to play around with the seat levelness on my own.  And, it's an easily reversible mod.

• Supporting Member
On 10/9/2019 at 10:13 PM, quaxum said:

Thank you! Appreciate it! Waiting for your detailed ride review! 

Just got back from taking the Sargent out for a shakedown ride.  Within the first 100 yards of street and before I cleared my neighborhood, I knew I was going to keep it.  After the first few miles, I definitely knew it was gonna stay.

The nutcracking crown in the seat is gone.  The lack of that upswept nose on the OEM seat and removing the crown all the way back to the back edge did the trick.  The slightly wider pan at the rear is also a big plus, as is the rounded and narrower front edges; even though the seat is in the High setting, I'm almost flat-footing it on level asphalt (I have a 30" inseam and wear standard-soled Sidi boots).  There is no longer a hotspot where the crown used to be; now my hips are resting on a wider and more level surface with no crunching involved.  That alone is extremely gratifying.  Hard braking affected only the bike and didn't rock me forward into that upswept OEM nose.  What a relief!  This is a very comfortable seat now; nice and stable with no sliding involved.

After thinking on this some more, I'm now wondering if the design intent all along was to make this seat fit the High position only.  As I understand things, the Corbin 1-piece seat is also installed in the GT's High position, which could imply that maybe Corbin never intended to make the seat height-adjustable.  If that was Sargent's intent, I would think they should advertise the seat as such, since this seat's fitment in the Low position is less than what most riders would reasonably accept.  I doubt we'll ever know the why's and wherefore's . . . 

Anyway, this Sargent seat, at least on my GT, is an easy 9 out of 10.  The only negative I can think of is that a rider with a 29" or 28" inseam might find it challenging if they're used to flat-footing a bike.  However, if they're used to standing on the balls of their feet when at a complete stop, they might well be quite comfortable with the height of the seat in the High position.

Don't know if my seat-of-the-pants review will help anyone out, but if it does, then that's a good thing, I guess.  These are just my simple, uneducated perceptions, so please keep that in mind.  Now that I've ridden on it, I'm happy with my Sargent.

Stay safe out there.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Good job modifying the mount to get it to fit but the fact that you had to do anything other than gently click it into place is not good.  A finished aftermarket product should fit exactly like oem.

Exactly! And they aren’t cheap either!

So is the summary so far :-

the seat still does not fit flat enough.

the fit of the seat to the bike is completely unsatisfactory.

if fiddled with to fit, the indications are that it is comfortable.

on the Yamaha high setting the seat to floor height is lower than standard.

Fair ?

Edited by flyfifer

I sent mine back without ever taking it for a ride.  For the price the fit was so unacceptable that I put it right back in the box for return shipping.  As I said before, the Sargent seats for my VFR and Ninja 1000 were quality products that provided all day comfort with OEM quality fit.  For the price, the seat should fit as well, or nearly as well as the OEM.  

I think where they went so wrong with this one is from trying to fabricate a Tracer seat from their own FJ-09 pan.

I have done a few multi day trips on the stock seat and although it offers room for improvement, it is not horrible.  Will continue to look for other options in the meantime.  May even talk to Sargent about sending them my seat over the winter to be rebuilt to my own specifications.  

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

56 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I sent mine back without ever taking it for a ride.  For the price the fit was so unacceptable that I put it right back in the box for return shipping.  As I said before, the Sargent seats for my VFR and Ninja 1000 were quality products that provided all day comfort with OEM quality fit.  For the price, the seat should fit as well, or nearly as well as the OEM.  

I think where they went so wrong with this one is from trying to fabricate a Tracer seat from their own FJ-09 pan.

I have done a few multi day trips on the stock seat and although it offers room for improvement, it is not horrible.  Will continue to look for other options in the meantime.  May even talk to Sargent about sending them my seat over the winter to be rebuilt to my own specifications.  

I would have done the same. 

An aftermarket seat should fit as well, if not better than stock. To me it’s not something that you should have to modify to fit.

Sargent took a long time to get the seat for the GT to market and this is the best they could do? Someone should make them aware of this thread as word of mouth on these forums is a very powerful thing. It would at least give them the chance to make it right.

Just my $.02

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

34 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

If a Moderator is following this thread what's the Rules on linking a thread on a communication to s Vendor ??

No problem that I can see. This is a public forum.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

May even talk to Sargent about sending them my seat over the winter to be rebuilt to my own specifications.  

And there are MANY options in addition to Sargent to get a custom seat built, Seth Laam, Russel Day Long, Bill Mayer Saddles etc.  There may even be somewhere close enough to you to do a ride-in appointment to get one built, that way they can measure you and build it specifically for you.  I happen to live about 2 hours away from a well known seat builder and did the ride-in option and couldn't be happier with the results.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

May even talk to Sargent about sending them my seat over the winter to be rebuilt to my own specifications.  

If you do send out your OEM seat, JohnMark, let me know and I'll loan you my OEM seat and pillion to use while you get your's customized.  You'll need to keep your OEM rider seat bracket, though, as mine is installed on my Sargent.  If you don't mind paying for shipping from Maryland, you're welcome to use it.  Lemme know...

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)