NOT a which tyre/tire should I get thread

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, daboo said:

Here's the prices I found with a search yesterday on Revzilla with one current rebate. 
Note: Michelin has a $50 rebate through 3/31. It doesn't make their tire inexpensive...it just brings it down to reality.
attachment.php?attachmentid=358969&stc=1

I've been waiting for rebates, and some have come. Others might come in a couple weeks. Here's what it looks like with those potential rebates.
attachment.php?attachmentid=358967&stc=1

Dunlop had a $40 rebate on their Roadsmart III tires from 3/1 to 4/30, and another from 7/1 to 8/31 last year. Hopefully, the timing will be similar for your planning purposes.

Continental had a $60 rebate on their RoadAttack III tires from 4/1 to 6/30 last year. I'm hoping for this one. Not only is this my favorite tire, but they also offer free roadside assistance with the cost of their tires.

Michelin has a current rebate as I wrote above of $50. It expires on 3/31.

Other comments: You mentioned the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires. The first set lasted me @6000 miles. I had the standard tire on front and back. When the Continental RA3 tires needed changing, I decided to give the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires a second chance. Back when they first came out, the HWM version was recommended for the F800GT and I hadn't purchased that version. I thought maybe that would make a difference. So I purchased the HWM version this time around. I've had the tires on now for about 3000 miles and they look to be about half worn...which will have them last @6000 miles again, it seems. I find that tire to be no better than the Dunlop or Continental tires, but it wears about twice as fast. But...it looks pretty.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Very comprehensive.

I'm in the land downunder and our prices and rebates may or may not be on the same parallel as you guys but I'm keeping an eye on the contenders websites as I get closer to 'pulling the trigger' as they say.

Currently the Dunlop RS3s and the Pirelli Angel STs here are AU$385/pr (US$231) so seem good value based on your chart even with the proposed rebate.

Aussie prices that I found: -

1 USD = 1.66460 AUD at todays exchange rate.... sorry at the exchange rate at this second in time!  It could be wildly out in 5 mins the way things are in the world ATM!!

image.thumb.png.36de10fc49d7671bd0ea3fe37711640b.png

• Supporting Member

OK. Just to complete the thread, I've purchased a set of 'Made in Spain' Michelin Road 5s instead of the intended Dunlop Roadsmart 3s.

The price for the Road 5s fitted and balanced turned out to be cheaper than the Dunlops so I couldn't refuse 🙂

FWIW - AU$404 (US$241)

Also had right angle valves fitted while the boots were off to ease the effort at air check/fill time.

On a related note, while the wheels were off I've taken my Andreani fitted forks in for a service and a re-shim/valve update just to take a little bit of the harshness out of them.  The guy I've taken them to informs me that he's done a few for the Tracer with the Andreanis and this is a common complaint/observation and 'fix'.  So good to know he's experienced with this bike.

It'll take him a couple of days to complete the job and as long as the country hasn't gone into total lockdown between now and then I'm keen to try out the handling with the flash new shoes and front legs - after scrubbing in the new tyres of course. 😄

20200324_160848_resized.thumb.jpg.9565ffdb21047c8b677fc3279da5a1b8.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

20200324_160848_resized.thumb.jpg.9565ffdb21047c8b677fc3279da5a1b8.jpg

That is a great price on the tires and I like the look of your bronze colored wheels.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, betoney said:

I like the look of your bronze colored wheels.

That caught my eye, too.   @dazzler24 - Is that paint or powder coat?    I would be tempted to do something similar at the next tire swap...  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Does anyone here run the Bridgestone S21 or now the S22's?  I love them.  My bike is all but about 10 percent ridden on the curvy roads where I haul it here and then ride till I'm out of tire.  Five or six days of this and nothing but this, rain or shine, and it's pack it up and go home.  I can still run around home for a little bit until it's time to lever on some new shoes.  I got two sets shipped free just last week for under $400.00 after rebate I think it was.  Rocky Mountain ATV. There are probably some tires that give you more mileage but I don't know if you'll find a stickier tire.  The original Dunnies came off at less than a thousand miles, not because they were worn out but because they sucked.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fjray said:

Does anyone here run the Bridgestone S21 or now the S22's?  I love them. 

There are probably some tires that give you more mileage but I don't know if you'll find a stickier tire.

Yes, I have used 3 sets of S21, currently have their T31 mounted and have a set of S22 waiting in the garage.  Love them and will definitely buy more.

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, fjray said:

So the T31 is what, better, cheaper, more available or what exactly.  Just trying to learn.

The T31 is labeled as their 'Sport Touring' tire where the S21 and S22 are 'Sport' tires.  However, I ran the S21 and T31 back to back and cant tell the difference in performance or longevity.  They both perform superbly in the canyons and twisties, they both have lasted me about 6,000 miles and they both perform admirably on cold or wet pavement.  The T31 has more rain channels on the tread and I have been stuck in torrential down pours without issue. 

Several online retailers have stopped selling the S21 but from what I have seen, the S22 and T31 are very similar in price.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

That is a great price on the tires and I like the look of your bronze colored wheels.

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

That caught my eye, too.   @dazzler24 - Is that paint or powder coat?    I would be tempted to do something similar at the next tire swap...  

Thanks guys.  The wheels are the OEM versions from 2015 (and maybe later versions?) that were deliverd here in the land down under.  The same colour adorns some of the side and valve/cam covers as well.  It's a nice accent against the black (IMHO).  Yes, I like the colour too and have seen a very similar version in Plastidip that some have used on car rims if you're into that sort of thing.

Bronze.thumb.jpg.9ac4fdf0894a345bc85925ff1cbf1319.jpg

Cheers.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, tktplz said:

Your yard looks as wet as mine!

Ha. We do have some rain now but it never quite recovered from the long dry spell that we experienced over our summer.

I don’t know if it is too late @dazzler24, but the wheel weight placement on your rear wheel will make it tough to clean the rim. If you can move them closer to the centre line they’ll be much less obvious and easier to clean. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, BBB said:

I don’t know if it is too late @dazzler24, but the wheel weight placement on your rear wheel will make it tough to clean the rim. If you can move them closer to the centre line they’ll be much less obvious and easier to clean. 

Yes, I must admit I thought it a little odd that they put them where they did.  I guess I could always get their equivalents - in a darker colour - and place them appropriately if it bugs me enough.

EDIT:- Out of interest and stemming from @BBB's post, I thought I'd do a little research on the subject of wheel balancing.  I always thought you simply wacked some weight on a wheel that was out of balance and it's location across the rim was of no real consequence.  As usual, I've found I know less than I thought!

The following was extracted from an article that quoted the wheel balancing guru of Hunter Engineering fame:-

More accuracy Is required

The popularity of flangeless alloy rims is also pushing the use of adhesive weights upwards. Consumers do not want to see a wheel weight on the outside of the wheel. A clip-on weight can be placed on the inside flange, but the only option for the outside plane is an adhesive weight. Technicians can balance the wheel using clip-on weights and adhesive weights, or two adhesive weights.

“When you get rid of that outer clip weight for cosmetic reasons, the weight planes, or the separation between the two weights, are narrower,” says Greg Meyer, wheel balancer product manager at Hunter Engineering Co. “The best placement would be at the extreme inside and outside of the wheel.” The farther apart the weights, the more “couple” force, or the side-to-side wobble of a rolling tire, can be counteracted.

“We’ve lost the outside and two or three more inches because the weight has to be behind the spokes. When those weight planes get closer together, the amount of weights that are required goes up and the precision with which they’re placed also has to go up,” he says.

Adhesive weights require both the balancer and the technician to be more accurate. “He’s got to be more careful and more cautious or he runs the risk of having to peel them off and try again or doing a bad job and having an unhappy customer with a vibration complaint,” says Meyer.

Nothing is seemingly straight forward!  I might be leaving the weights where they are!

I have used Conti's, T31 and RA3's.  Truthfully, based on your post of your riding style I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  The mileage was pretty similar for me with all 3 tires at around 6,000 miles.  Conti's a tiny bit longer wearing than the other 2.   I will say that I really didn't care for how the RA2 wore at all ... but the new RA3 is much improved.   Price wise, as mentioned by Betoney in an earlier post, the Bridgestone T31 is usually the best price for me with the Dunlop RA3 usually very close behind.   9x out of 10 Rocky Mountain ATV seems to have the best price.

• Thumbsup 1