Looking into Tracer 900 GT as Sport Touring Bike

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

Is the Tracer 900 worth it? is it upgradable just like the GT?

Really depends on what you want from this bike. Other than the TFT display... all else is upgradeable, when you decide that you want or need more. Also consider that many GT owners still pursue the same kinds of upgrades on their bikes as the non-GT owners... so you might still find yourself diving into your wallet.

If the bike fits you well and you enjoy the ride... the GT and the non-GT are the same motorcycle.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

Now I have another question

Is the Tracer 900 worth it?

is it upgradable just like the GT? (quick shifter, springs)

I do not really mind about the different display, and I could eventually add aftermarket heated grips, atlas throttle lock, aftermarket panniers, top case and tank bag.

there is a 2019 listed for $7.499 at a dealer in Alabama, and is 2.5 hours away from my house.

Yes, depending on your wants and needs, the basic Tracer is a great value for the money.  And except for the TFT screen and factory cruise control, you can upgrade everything to the 'GT spec'.  MCCruise offers a cruise control that you can install yourself.

You could upgrade to factory or aftermarket heated grips and quick shifter as well

The one area that could get a bit more expensive is the suspension.  The basic tracer has damping in one leg while the GT has compression and rebound damping in separate legs and the GT has a remote preload adjustment knob.  Though if you either plan on upgrading your suspension or not even bothering then what comes stock from the factory wont make a difference. 

Side bag options are factory city bags, or larger bags from the FJR - same mount hardware, or aftermarket like Shad or Givi for half the price.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

57 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

"Worth it" is so HIGHLY subjective that only you can really answer for yourself.   That said, the standard Tracer is a ton of motorcycle of the kind of deal you're seeing on new, non-current 2019 models.   You seem like the type that's very cautious about a used bike (totally understandable), and buying new takes all of that concern out of the equation.

You can't really make a standard Tracer into a GT, but if you only selectively need some of the features, it would be a great way to go.   Factory bags are about $1,000 retail, but they show up here periodically used (or there are a bunch of aftermarker options).   You can add cruise, heated grips, and the quickshifter if your really want them...  just a personal cost/benefit call on each of those.   The TFT gauges are admittedly really nice, and there's no way of getting that on a standard model. 

But to answer your question:  Yes, $7.5K for a brand new, factory warrantied 2019 Tracer is a hell of a deal.   I would seriously consider going that route.

Good luck!
-Scott

for sure is subjective, but considering that the GT is "just" an upgrade of the standard, definitely is a ton of a motorcycle to start with.

I do like the platform, and this why I'm considering even the standard, going with a discounted new model, and make it my own with the money that I saved.

I'm willing to put some aftermarkets options and maybe spend some money on better suspensions and shock if I feel the need. Luckily I already have Koso heated grips, Denali DM aux lights, SW Motech Micro Tank bag and Rear Tail bag, also have the Lee Parks Design cruise control (not as good as Atlas, but good enough to start).

The TFT is a nice upgrade, but I'm ok with the old style gauges.

Thanks btw

Keep you guys posted

• Thumbsup 1

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

11 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, depending on your wants and needs, the basic Tracer is a great value for the money.  And except for the TFT screen and factory cruise control, you can upgrade everything to the 'GT spec'.  MCCruise offers a cruise control that you can install yourself.

You could upgrade to factory or aftermarket heated grips and quick shifter as well

The one area that could get a bit more expensive is the suspension.  The basic tracer has damping in one leg while the GT has compression and rebound damping in separate legs and the GT has a remote preload adjustment knob.  Though if you either plan on upgrading your suspension or not even bothering then what comes stock from the factory wont make a difference. 

Side bag options are factory city bags, or larger bags from the FJR - same mount hardware, or aftermarket like Shad or Givi for half the price.

Good to know there is a aftermarket electronic cruise control, thanks.

I might need just to buy the side bags, I pretty much already have everything that I need to start.

I'm gonna call the dealer to check if it's still available, $7,500 is really a good deal.

• Like 1

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow will be the day where I’ll be making a decision 

got different options to choose

a used 2 month old ‘19 Tracer 900, 1800miles, with some mods (crash bars, integrated tail light, Tail tidy, led turn signals with daylight running lights) delivered at my door for $9000

there are some GTs in the nation, around $11.500 (all fees and reg included), but that would mean for me to fly in and ride back (10hrs at least), so add another couple of hundred bucks

then there is a ‘17 with 10.000 miles at $7.900, Corbin seat, H&B panniers, and upgraded springs and rear shock HyperPro, but the spring rate is set for 240lbs and I’m only 185 with full gear

I'm not very good at suspensions set up, how bad would that be to ride on it?

It'd be pretty fine.  You'd be better off when you're loading up the bags, and a little stiffer when unloaded.  Back off the preload and call it a day.

That's said, springs are pretty cheap - about $100 for the forks, and $100 for the rear.  But tbh I wouldn't worry about it there.  It's easy to get the weight up when you've got the cases on ;)

Tbh, if I where shopping around now for a very lightly used model in a dealership, I'd probably get a base model Tracer.  I love my GT and all it offers, but the 2019 Tracers can be had for a *steal* now as the GT's sold quickly but the base models stuck around.  Either Tracer is a hell of a value from the get go, but the base model even moreso now.

MCCruise is fine.  Quickshifter is awesome.fun but 100% a toy.  Bags are pretty easy to source or even make (look around here on the forums, a bunch of people made their own hard cases!).  You don't get the spiffy TFT dash, but... Eh.  

• Thumbsup 3

I've had my GT since last September. I came of a Africa Twin and a 98 VFR.  I think the Yamaha is a great bike for touring. I've changed the screen to an MRA screen and now have a Terry Adcox seat. Also have changed the suspension both ends to Ohlins. It took me a while to get used to the situp riding style after the VFR but it's starting to work for me. Never thought much about cruise control and don't ride many places where I can use it but it's great when I can. The CP3 engine is a gem. Overall it's a great touring bike!

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/16/2020 at 11:03 PM, MrFritz86 said:

a used 2 month old ‘19 Tracer 900, 1800miles, with some mods (crash bars, integrated tail light, Tail tidy, led turn signals with daylight running lights) delivered at my door for $9000

quoting my own message, tomorrow I'll get the used tracer delivered at my door

I think it's a great deal with the added mods, forgot to add 2 Puig windscreen, 1 sport and 1 touring

Only in mods I'm already saving at least $600, not that I was gonna do all of them, but most.

I'm set on this one bc, the only new stock that I found was in NC, and atm flying is not an option, then I had to ride back in Nashville, TN. and it was gonna cost me around $9600.

I've everything that I need to start, Lee Parks throttle lock, Koso heated grips, Denali aux lights, sw Motech tank bag and rear bag.

Give you guys an update over the weekend.

Thank you all for your help.

• Supporting Member
On 8/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, MrFritz86 said:

I'm set on this one bc, the only new stock that I found was in NC, and atm flying is not an option, then I had to ride back in Nashville, TN. and it was gonna cost me around $9600.

I've everything that I need to start, Lee Parks throttle lock, Koso heated grips, Denali aux lights, sw Motech tank bag and rear bag.

Sounds like you founds a great lightly used model. The only thing I would suggest right away is a radiator guard.  Ride it for a few weeks and make a mental list of pro's and con's before spending money changing parts out.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Sounds like you founds a great lightly used model. The only thing I would suggest right away is a radiator guard.  Ride it for a few weeks and make a mental list of pro's and con's before spending money changing parts out.

Actually the radiator guard is already there, completely forgot to mention it, so huge ++++

at the moment I don’t need anything else, suspension and shock felt pretty good, I’m fairly light weight 

I think it’s a very good deal

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, MrFritz86 said:

Actually the radiator guard is already there, completely forgot to mention it, so huge ++++

at the moment I don’t need anything else, suspension and shock felt pretty good, I’m fairly light weight 

I think it’s a very good deal

Front fender extension was the first thing I ordered. First trip out of my gravel driveway without a skid lid on listening to all the rocks bouncing off the front of the engine/exhaust made that a no-brainer. Didn’t eliminate it completely but definitely a step in the right direction...

• Thumbsup 1

First issue found 😒
Yesterday I was walking around the bike to check for anything that I could have missed the first day
Noticed the lower engine bolt, that holds the center stand, below the brake peg, that was not screwed all the way in
The bolt was removed when he installed the engine crash bar
Tried to torqued it down and without even applying much force, it slipped and realized it was f****d
Removed it and found some epoxy or JB
Checked everything and thread was gone
Luckily there was plenty of wall thickness and bought a Helicoil kit, drilled, tapped it, and used the coil with some red loctite, was able to torque it down as required.

got in touch with the guy and he played dumb saying that he wasn’t aware how big the issue was
And he admitted to have it stripped 
Had to pay almost $100 for everything, he said he’s gonna send me those money back tomorrow 

I really hope that everything else is ok, already check all the other engine bolts and torqued them down to the required values, they were good

This is why I don’t like used stuff
In somehow people will screw you, no matter how nice you’re with them 🤬

• Sad 1

I hear that!   My last two bike purchases have been brand new bikes, and it's been so nice not having to play the "What bullshit did the previous owner do?" game.  The PO horror stories I've got after 25 years of old, used bikes...  

I recognize I've paid a lot more for my last two bikes than I strictly "needed" to - buying lightly used would have saved me thousands - but... Yeah.  It's nice to just not worry about what surprises are hidden within.

The last used bike I bought - a Yamaha XJ750 - seemed ok.  Lots of wear, but it was an 82 and that was expected and part and parcel to the whole "buying an 80's bike" schtick.  Until I look off the valve cover to check the valves. 

Valve cover bolts where glued in place, not screwed into anything.  This was because the aluminum cam caps (to which the inside bolts thread in) where literally broken.  They'd had someone try to weld on bulk metal, drill new holes, and put helicoils into them... But that really didn't work out.  This was one of the caps:

IMG_20170821_175614.thumb.jpg.469c8a06ec4659f4711587d39bed03ca.jpg

I mean, really.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2