Trailer Queen?????

• Supporting Member

@tktplz - Great job, that looks really good.  I have often considered doing the same thing, trailering the bikes to a location to save a few travel days.   As it is though, I always make the most of the 'travel days'.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, betoney said:

@tktplz - Great job, that looks really good.  I have often considered doing the same thing, trailering the bikes to a location to save a few travel days.   As it is though, I always make the most of the 'travel days'.

I'd love to betoney but I maxed out with this company at 15 work days a year. We have 4 bike meets a year. That's three 4 day weekends, that's 6 days and a week long stent, 5 week days at Deals Gap/Blowing Rock, NC. so that's 11 of 15 and then 4 days left for 3 or 4 day weekends in Arkansas. Try to make the most of my days as riding twisties days, LOL!

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

@tktplz - Nicely done!  I’ve been without a trailer since I stopped racing and sold my Wells Cargo.   For now I can get by just hauling one bike at a time in my Ram 1500.  

I’ve considered not getting another truck when it comes time to replace this one, so a trailer would become an imperative again.   Did you buy the frame structure already assembled, or did you fabricate that all yourself?   My oldest son is an outstanding professional welder, so I’m thinking we could make one ourselves.   

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Nice!  A very handy thing to have. 

We are down-sizing soon and I'll have nowhere to park my aluminum utility trailer.  I've used it to haul my bike to Colorado with a Honda CR-V.  I want to replace it with a folding stand-up trailer like a Kendon, which will fit in the garage. 

• Thumbsup 2

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@tktplz - Nicely done!  I’ve been without a trailer since I stopped racing and sold my Wells Cargo.   For now I can get by just hauling one bike at a time in my Ram 1500.  

I’ve considered not getting another truck when it comes time to replace this one, so a trailer would become an imperative again.   Did you buy the frame structure already assembled, or did you fabricate that all yourself?   My oldest son is an outstanding professional welder, so I’m thinking we could make one ourselves.   

Got the 6X10 trailer in Mount Pleasant, TX. Double A Trailer. At 865.00 I couldn't pass it up. That's a pipe top not angle iron on the top. Sturdier. Another 93.00 for the matching spare tire and rim mounted on the trailer. A qt of polyurethane, anti-skid powder, a 6 pack of tie downs plus the 2 wheel chocks from Amazon and it came to just over the 1,200.00 dollar stimulus check.  So I did my job, spent the money and stimulated the economy. I'm sure you can make 1 for less. It's just drawing up plans, getting the angle iron, an axle with tires, expanded metal and 2X6s. Buy or make your fenders and a trailer light kit. My neighbor behind me does blacksmithing. He goes and buys metal regularly.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Got the 6X10 trailer in Mount Pleasant, TX. Double A Trailer. At 865.00 I couldn't pass it up. That's a pipe top not angle iron on the top. Sturdier. Another 93.00 for the matching spare tire and rim mounted on the trailer. A qt of polyurethane, anti-skid powder, a 6 pack of tie downs plus the 2 wheel chocks from Amazon and it came to just over the 1,200.00 dollar stimulus check.  So I did my job, spent the money and stimulated the economy. I'm sure you can make 1 for less. It's just drawing up plans, getting the angle iron, an axle with tires, expanded metal and 2X6s. Buy or make your fenders and a trailer light kit. My neighbor behind me does blacksmithing. He goes and buys metal regularly.  

I have a very similar older 6'x12' with the same drop ramp that I refurbished last summer.  Stripped it down to the angle iron, stripped off 100% of the wiring and lights and replaced everything with LED's.  Painted the frame and installed a new deck and had the wheel bearings replaced.  Hopefully its good to go for another 10-12 years before it needs any serious attention.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

23 minutes ago, betoney said:

Hopefully its good to go for another 10-12 years before it needs any serious attention.

Should be. Mine stays under a garage so it gets a little sun from the south end but besides that it's covered on 3 sides.  Gives ya a warm fuzzy after you give the trailer some attention. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, tktplz said:

Got the 6X10 trailer in Mount Pleasant, TX. Double A Trailer. At 865.00 I couldn't pass it up. 

Yeah, at that price there’s no reason to try and do it yourself.   The drop ramp for loading is a nice feature.   Out of curiosity,  size wheels does it have? 

33 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Yeah, at that price there’s no reason to try and do it yourself.   The drop ramp for loading is a nice feature.   Out of curiosity,  size wheels does it have? 

15 inch rims/tires.

Edited by tktplz
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Sharp trailer, well done

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Very well done.  👍  I would never blame someone for trailering to a good location if the road between there and home is long and boring.  That plus having to burn through precious free time and it totally makes sense.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

Very well done.  👍  I would never blame someone for trailering to a good location if the road between there and home is long and boring.  That plus having to burn through precious free time and it totally makes sense.  

Yup, trailering has many advantages.

A big one is you are not worn out when you arrive at where you REALLY want to ride!

I rode from NH to Deals Gap in TN over four days and was beat when I got there.  I needed a day off the bike to recover before I could take on the Dragon.

As I  look at all those mask-less Harley riders this week on Sturgis web cams, I'm guessing many have trailers parked outside of town.  Cause I've driven across South Dakota many times and there ain't much to recommend that ride.

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 3 months later...

When I go to the western states first 2 days out are 1,100 miles.  Second day is better once I get to Kansas and the scenery is not as familiar.  I'm retired so time not so much of an issue.  I have an old Holtzclaw trailer I refurbished and added a wood deck to.  I replaced the front crossmember with unistrut.  Still have all the parts and can put it back to the original 2 rail configuration without difficulty.  Have thought about going to a single rail in the center to haul my Tracer GT but will probably just keep it as it for now.  It has coil springs and shock absorbers (I replaced original ones).  LOL have never hauled a motorcycle with it just wood when working on projects around the house.  In the photo it was set up for my 2014 ZX6R 636, I need to change the front wheel chock to get the weight centered for my Tracer GT.

EDIT:  Last August when my BMW broke down in Nebraska would have been nice to have had a trailer and tow vehicle nearby but.....  It would have cost me $700 to rent a tin can to drive home and get my van and trailer.  Turned out to be best to just stay there and fix it.

adj3D6A9891.jpg

Edited by PhotoAl