Ceramic coating

Clicknow

• Supporting Member

Cermaic coating on car paint and windshields is very good.

I haven't personally ceramic coated any of my vehicles yet (but I know ppl that do, and it's quite good), but I reluctantly accepted a windshield coating.  I say reluctantly because I've tried every type of Rain-X type wiper, fluid, etc - you name it.  They all suck (in my opinion).  They all leave a glare that's tough to see through.

Not the ceramic coating, though.  No glare at all.  It's actually decent.

I am considering ceramic coating on my FJ, as well, mostly for the UV protection.  Of all the weathering, UV is the harshest and most destructive (IMHO), so any protection from that is worth it.  It's a bit of a bonus that dirt and grime don't stick to it very well, so washing becomes much easier/faster.

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I have had exhaust headers ceramic coated and had hard parts powder coated.  Never had the plastic ceramic coated though, don't they use a high heat treatment?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Not for auto paint.  You just have to clean the surface and apply the liquid with a clean cloth (I think some kits supply a cloth) and elbow grease.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Had my last FJR done with Xzilon?

Basically washed it with water & a microfiber after that.

Eventually (3rd season?) did show some signs of degradation from bug guts and bird crap here and there on the nose...never bothered to have it cleaned up/reapplied.

Paint needs to have any correction done before it’s applied/only way to remove it that I am aware of after application is “mechanically”. I had some boot scuffs on the side panels that got sealed in for posterity.

Still had an awesome gloss/looked wet/beaded water... 

Hope this helps. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ceramic coat our cars, bikes, and helmets.  I tend to use "middle of the road", easy to use coatings that are a little less expensive.  Surface prep is key, I wash the vehicle with dawn (degreases, strips wax, etc),  rinse well, clay bar paint to remove embedded contaminants,  polish/correct any scratches/swirls, then wash with dawn again to remove any residue then dry thoroughly.

With the now clean, cool, dry paint I spray light mist of water & isopropyl alcohol as a final cleaning, and wipe off right before applying the coating. You need to have a cool, shady, clean place to apply the coating, and work in sections that are manageable. Wipe on in a crosshatch pattern to get good coverage, then wipe off in 2-5 mins depending on the product. For best result make sure to use lint-free microfibers cloths.

The paint will  look very good immediately,  but  will look & feel much better after 8-24 hrs. Makes removing bugs, tar, dirt much easier. Are a ton of you tube channels that show you how to use these the right way. 

You can also apply a layer of your fav wax or sealant on top of these coatings once they have cured... the extra shine/slickness is noticeable.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2