Under seat modification

Has anyone done an under seat modification to give more storage space for tools? I see there is a plastic partition which I am thinking could be cut away giving more room to fit an emergency tool kit. Has any one done this or come up with any other ideas for storing tools without having to carry luggage?

Photos of clever ideas welcome.

I cut mine out leaving only two or three mm of the original "wall" all the way round.

I did it pretty crudely, with a "Stanley" knife, and tidied it up as I got some material cut out. 

Clearly Mr.Yamaha thought it was needed presumably to strengthen the "pan" so I guess you need to decide if your bike will be ok.

It does wonders for storage though.

I am sure many will have done it.

• Thumbsup 1

+1, I took a small junior hacksaw blade to mine, and a bit of a tidy of the rough edges with a "Stanley" blade as well. made a bit more room for the tyre repair kit and small compressor I carry as well as the tool bag.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, flyfifer said:

I cut mine out leaving only two or three mm of the original "wall" all the way round.

I did it pretty crudely, with a "Stanley" knife, and tidied it up as I got some material cut out. 

Clearly Mr.Yamaha thought it was needed presumably to strengthen the "pan" so I guess you need to decide if your bike will be ok.

It does wonders for storage though.

I am sure many will have done it.

Pictures?

• 2 months later...

Wow, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this topic. It doesn't seem like much thought went into designing the under-seat storage area. Or the tool "kit", if one can even call it that. 

Before I started carving away, I thought I'd have a look and see if anyone else had come up with a better idea. 

Someone with a 3-D printer could improve upon the design, I would think. 

• Thumbsup 1

Well, I pulled the plastics and tank off the bike today and had a poke around to see what I've bought. Part of that process included looking at the under-seat area. Right away, I see there is an electrical gizmo mounted off a hanger in the storage tray. I also notice there is a perfectly good and unused electrical gizmo hanger about three inches forward and to the left. So, slice open the harness an inch or so and presto: electrical gizmo is relocated and under seat stowage capacity is improved. Then I got out the Dremel and removed the partition between the front and rear stowage areas. Tidy up with a knife and now there's a useful stowage compartment for air compressor, patch kit, tool kit. Also located the heated seat connector in the same area and determined which spade connectors I need to make the dummy plug useful. Same connector style behind the windshield. Sumitomo p/n: 6187-2311 and 6180-2321, you need the ribbed version you can see here, or just buy the spades and seals and install them into the dummy already on the bike: 

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type) and MT Sealed type...

I've ordered from them before and recommend. 

• Thumbsup 3

If it's the gizmo I think it is you have to mount it precisely the same (angle, level, direction, etc.) since it's the tip over sensor that kills the ignition when the bike crashes.

Just got to do a search, it's been done already.

Edited by peteinpa

• Supporting Member

Air-pump, a small 1st aid kit, plug-kit, and a cruise control CPU. You could cut away the rear partition for more space (kinda where the yellow arrow is pointing), but this works for me. Tools had to go elsewhere.

ddynamics.thumb.jpg.653852f29d0c47daa8475ca59bef6916.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, peteinpa said:

If it's the gizmo I think it is you have to mount it precisely the same (angle, level, direction, etc.) since it's the tip over sensor that kills the ignition when the bike crashes.

Just got to do a search, it's been done already.

The gizmo in question is just a relay. It's not the tip-over/lean angle sensor (that's located at the tank mount).

Not sure what the relay is for: G8HN-1C4T-DJ - Omron 

It could be related to traction control or ABS. Haven't yet found anything on it in the manual. 

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, larolco said:

The gizmo in question is just a relay. It's not the tip-over/lean angle sensor (that's located at the tank mount).

Not sure what the relay is for: G8HN-1C4T-DJ - Omron 

It could be related to traction control or ABS. Haven't yet found anything on it in the manual. 

For Yamaha 5DM-81950-00-00 /Omron G8HN-1C4T-DJ ... FJR1300 12 -Yamaha LED Flasher Relay - R1 R6 MT09 FJ09 FZ6R FZ8 FZ9 FZ1 XSR900 FJR1300

• Thumbsup 1

I started a project to make a new seat pan for the pillion seat ( I don't ride 2 up... these light bikes don't like that much anyway) that would use the internal volume of the stock seat to store tools/etc...     I got a bit into the project and actually designed an entire replacement seat frame in 3D and validated it fits... I was going to 3D print the entire seat as a box, but I ran out of steam on the project.  Its not only complex dimensions and  fitment, but I was unsure how it would look.    IMO the answer for more space under the seat is to go up and use the fairly useless pillion seat.   I did make a small tray for my stock under-seat to hold my Innovv K2 DVR + Memory cards + extra lens protectors.

Edited by Clegg78

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I started a project to make a new seat pan for the pillion seat ( I don't ride 2 up... these light bikes don't like that much anyway) that would use the internal volume of the stock seat to store tools/etc...     I got a bit into the project and actually designed an entire replacement seat frame in 3D and validated it fits... I was going to 3D print the entire seat as a box, but I ran out of steam on the project.  Its not only complex dimensions and  fitment, but I was unsure how it would look.    IMO the answer for more space under the seat is to go up and use the fairly useless pillion seat.   I did make a small tray for my stock under-seat to hold my Innovv K2 DVR + Memory cards + extra lens protectors.

I again agree with you, the pillion is useless for me too.  I use the pillion for a dry bag when touring, and recently added the Cycle Guy's seat bag.  It's not secure though has a ton of volume when needed.  I have the Shad SH46 top case always on and have their SH36 panniers.  I even have a pocket backpack in the top case.  Again, not sub-saddle but it's all good and fun to play with.

I thought you'd appreciate the micro USB connection for my auxiliary LED brake light on the back edge of the Shad top case rack.  I had a Cylon / GhostRider strip back there which was coolio but it died; so I made a QD connection sealed with shrink tubing. 

20210223_141926.jpg

20210223_142248.jpg

20210223_142424.jpg

• Thumbsup 3