GPS hardwire connection

joe72t

I have a Garmin gps and find that the adapter becomes loose when I plug it in the provided outlet on the bike. My Garmin uses a micro USB.

Any suggestions on hard wiring this and to where?  If I go directly to the battery I suppose it will drain the battery if I forget to turn off GPS.

Thanks again!

Micro USB.png

• Supporting Member

I can't offer much except to tell you that I wired my Garmin to the battery for the same reason - power port adapters just rattle out of the factory port.  It's not easy to forget, because the screen is lit up as long as it has a power source (with my model, anyway - Zumo 396).  I remove the Garmin if I'm off the bike always.

Out of all of last year, the one time I forgot was for less than an hour and the bike whirred right over when I got back on.  AGM battery, if that helps, but I'm sure a lead-acid wouldn't deplete quite that fast either...doesn't seem to be much of a draw.

If/when I have to tear into the front end again, I would follow this thread to add a second switched power port - difference from factory being - I get to choose the port (& find something that offers more friction):

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

As @knyte mentioned, wire it to one of the 12v switched aux plugs available behind the screen.  Garmin sells a hardwire cable ready to go, it works like a charm and you NEVER have to worry about your battery going dead while using it since the power is on ONLY when the key is on.

Rated 4.6/5. Low prices, reviews, videos and more for the Garmin USB...

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yes better to hardwire it.  I used one of the connections behind the windscreen for my Zumo XT.  Remember the cord you are showing is a 12V to USB converter inside the plug.  You could add a usb port on the bike and plug it into that.  I would use switched power so if you forget for a while the battery isn't drained.  Personally I would never wire something that is not switched as I'm too prone to forget to unplug something.  At home my bike lives in my garage and its too easy for me to get off and forget to unplug something.  The plug to the left of the instrument panel is switched.  I bought my bike 1,400 miles from home and put 600 miles on it before heading home.  For 2,000 miles I had my Zumo XT powered from the plug which worked very nicely for me.  I could remove the unit at night but leave the mount and wiring in place.  For my Zumo XT it had 12V leads which I connected to an AutoZone plug.  Wasn't the prettiest solution but worked very nicely.  After I got home ordered some pins and a connector (which didn't fit) but used the pins with the connector already there and added it to the port behind the windscreen.  That has worked very nicely as well.

• Thumbsup 2

I used the Garmin hardwire instead of the 12v outlet because of the same reasons. It is much better to use a switched hot spot. WHy not add a fuse box under the seat? Works great. I have used Blue Sea box on my FJR (lots more room there) and one from Eastern Beaver (smaller) on the Tracer. That way, you have one place to look for bad fuses and one place to connect anything else you want to wire up later.

Currently, I have the Zumo, my radar detector (safety reasons only!), Denali lights and my heated jacket all connected. I do use the 12v for my XM radio receiver in my tank bag however. And yes it does occasionally wiggle loose. But I would rather lose the music than my GPS frankly.

9 hours ago, littlebruv said:

I had a KTM power socket fitted in the spare socket mount right hand side of the clocks so i can use the gps power plug, much better than the standard Yamaha power socket

I've thought about adding a USB outlet there.  I have one that is just a tiny bit larger than the hole and has 2 USB outlets plus a voltmeter.  Good for charging still while on the go.  I camp a lot and on ocasion am in a tent site with no power and use the bike to charge my pone and GoPro batteries.  

• Thumbsup 1

I plan on replacing the OEM with this:

71FW7jQVcVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That way I get a viewable voltmeter along w/2 USBs which are more useful.

Then, I'll add a constant-powered one like this so when I need it I can just turn it on and it also has a voltmeter which will let me know when it's on so I won't forget to turn it off:

71U8eI+BX3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mellow
  • Thumbsup 2

I have had good service from the QC chargers.  Had one on my BMW for 7,000 miles with no problems.  I think they are solid.  Cover design doesn't seem super watertight but never had problems due to rain.  It was out overnight at least once in the rain plus all day ride in the cold rain.  Going to mount mine on the right side of the display, will need to get the Dremel tool out to make hole a bit larger but that's not hard to do.  I've thought of replacing the original socket with one but like the versatility of the socket.  I also have a BatteryTender hookup under the seat which I have a USB adapter plug (Battery Tender brand) for an emergency charger.  The Battery Tender hookup is also handy for powering my air compressor if I need to fix a flat on the road - have to remember to not run the battery down pumping up a tire.  

• Supporting Member
On 12/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, PhotoAl said:

Going to mount mine on the right side of the display, will need to get the Dremel tool out to make hole a bit larger but that's not hard to do.  I've thought of replacing the original socket with one but like the versatility of the socket.

After a bit of thought, I moved the original cigarette lighter plug over to the right side, then mounted one of those QC dual USB plugs in the original location on the left.   I felt that I would use the USB far more often than the original (which has proven to be true), and it would be much more convenient to have it on the left side, where I get on & off the bike.    I’ve been quite happy with this setup thus far.  

8A5385BE-02D8-4CF3-9E6F-CD4A0BA7C6A2.thumb.jpeg.741b8671f52e01f12598e5628ec6b0b6.jpeg

90C552AD-48D6-48DF-8DDC-AE68A243D1F3.thumb.jpeg.bf5773b6843fe0f8b7038e32fb7adfed.jpeg

As mentioned, I did have to enlarge the mounting hole slightly to fit the USB plug.   I just added wires & contacts into the OEM connector cap on one of the spare switched power points behind the windscreen.    The wiring on the original cigarette style outlet is long enough to move to the opposite side of the dash with no modifications required.   

This is on my 2015 FJ, but I believe it would be the same setup on a newer Tracer GT.  

• Thumbsup 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Does anyone have a breakdown of the process on a 2015 FJ? I got a Zumo 595 LM for Christmas and want to use a switched connection behind the screen. 

TIA

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the process on a 2015 FJ? I got a Zumo 595 LM for Christmas and want to use a switched connection behind the screen. 

TIA

I am not familiar with the Zumo, I use Nuvi, Drive and Drivesmart models, what type of power connection does it use?  I use this cable connected direct to the switched 12v aux plug, I just spliced on the connector to the bare wires.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

TIA

I have an older Zumo. Used the mating connector crimped onto the fused GPS harness power/ground to the existing aux plug in the area between the display and the windshield mount.

I only use the harness for the mounting base and 12v power, the rest is coiled up and tie-wrapped in the area behind the windshield mount plate (where the aux connector lives) with the lead to the gps mount routed out through one of the gaps...

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1