How to clean oil from rims?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions how to remove what I believe is chain oil of the back rim? I read that people use WD40 but I am not sure if that will damage a blue paint on the rim. Other people say to use chain cleaner as it is a degreesing agent as well. 

P.s cleaning with soap didn't help. 

Thanks

• Premium Member

I know folks will have a cow, but I use kerosene, and once the grit is gone and it is clean, I wash the rim with water to remove the kerosene residue.

Honestly, it only takes about 5 minutes and you are done....

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Sqbydoo said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions how to remove what I believe is chain oil of the back rim? I read that people use WD40 but I am not sure if that will damage a blue paint on the rim. Other people say to use chain cleaner as it is a degreesing agent as well. 

P.s cleaning with soap didn't help. 

Thanks

I have used WD-40, Simple Green, denatured alcohol, brake cleaner, S100, Dawn dish soap, chain cleaner, etc.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

i had the same issues, use soap does not work..... i google around and try Kerosene which i used to clean my bike chain. it works on tire. and i wash again with car shampoo the tire. now am using Bel-Ray Chain Cleaner.... no more fling = no need wash the lube of tire ! 

Had this problem with my CBR600RR with white rims.  It was tough to get off!  Finally realized I could use plain old car wax.  Wash the wheel but don't put too much effort in getting rid of the chain fling, then wax the wheels - stuff comes right off and the rim has a nice coat of wax.  Wasn't metecilious about waxing the entire rim just the spots that needed cleaning.  Quick and easy and the rims looked great.  

Bit of kerosene or WD40 on a microfiber towel or will use simple green and hose off. The Dupont chain saver lube makes minimal mess if any on the back wheel, so I don't have to do this type of cleaning much. :) 

• Thumbsup 2