New Member 900GT purchase - love your feedback

Hello to all, 

I'm Steve, a new member.  My current ride is a NC750X which I plan to replace.  My search has narrowed to a 900 GT.  I haven't ridden one (impossible in Canada this time of year).  i have watch a gazillion YouTube videos though lol. I feel like the 900 is going to give me what I've been missing...an exciting ride!  Sort of a combination of my previous VFR800 and my FJR 1300 (my two favorite bikes).  Let me cut to the chase...

Seems that 900 owners don't like 3 things  about their bikes(could be more, but i see these as the big ones) 1. front suspension,  2. windscreen,  3 seat.   Sort of bummed by the idea I have to spend $1,000 or more to make the bike livable.  The new one has made "improvements" in all these areas (if you believe the press).

Here's the math.  I can get a new 19 for $12,200 (one left at this price) a new 20 for (guessing) $14,200 (at least 8 around at this price) or order a 21 for $17,400 with delivery in April?

Three questions:

1. From what I've read,19 and 20 versions are identical, other than colour.  Anybody disagree?

2. Are any of you happy with the 900, the way it came from the factory?

3. As owners, you have the  experience I lack. Knowing what you know, would you go 19, 20 or 21?

I know the decision is up to me,  but we've all been where I am now.

My thanks for any thoughts,

Steve

welcome!

First, I think it’s about how much you weigh and how tall you are for your first list of gripes.  I’m 150 and probably 160 with all gear, and I think the front suspension is great.  I’m sure you could improve,  but I don’t see a need for it.  Screen, yes, I’m 5’9” (32” inseam?) and it pretty much sucks.  That’s a cheap fix for the most part.  Seat, again I think weight plays a part, but I think it’s more about the angle.  Get the angle right and I think it’s all day good.

19/20 no different at all

except for the screen, yes

i would have to ride the 21, but it would have to blow me away to not buy my 19 GT again.  I know there are some upgrades, but there are things I don’t like as well also.  If money is an issue, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the 19.  If it’s not, then I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by the 21 either.

Edited by Yamajank
  • Thumbsup 2

Thanks for this, it's super helpful! It's the "I'd do the same thing again" stuff I'm looking for. 

You and I are close in size I'm 5'8" @155lbs and a 30" inseam.  I could afford a 21, but who doesn't love a deal?

Steve

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I don't think there's appreciable difference between the two model years, and you really do fall into the target/design rider weight for the suspension... so it should come down to seat and/or windscreen. Lucky you... and welcome to the forum.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Hello Steve....as the saying goes:  you won't miss what you don't have.  I have a 2019 Tracer GT purchased used with 4400 miles in October 2020.  I have ridden it 3900 miles in three months---the bike is addicting!  I will look at a 2021 in a few years.

I would not pay $2000.00 more for a 2020 over a 2019 as they are identical other than color.

You are a good weight for the bike...I am 6'4" 225 lbs and the suspension is OK with me with the preload set up for higher weight.  I did install 1" lower foot pegs and add an EBay adjustable windshield spoiler to the tall Puig windshield that the bike came with.  The seat is a compromise....not good, not bad. 

I will say that this is my 50th riding year and this bike is one of the most fun bikes ever owned.

• Thumbsup 2

8 minutes ago, SilverSteve said:

Thanks for this, it's super helpful! It's the "I'd do the same thing again" stuff I'm looking for. 

You and I are close in size I'm 5'8" @155lbs and a 30" inseam.  I could afford a 21, but who doesn't love a deal?

Steve

You wont be disappointed either way you go .  I myself was looking at the Honda NX750 for a lighter alternative to an 07 ST 1300 ,but couldn't get over the lowly HP on the  Honda. You wont have that problem with the GT900 ,it plain rips and will bring a smile to your face every ride !

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, SilverSteve said:

From what I've read,19 and 20 versions are identical, other than colour.  Anybody disagree?

would you go 19, 20 or 21?

As mentioned, no differences between '19 and '20 other than color.  As far as recommending a '21, that's nothing more than a guess at this point, COMPLETELY new bike, we will have to wait until Spring to find out what they are all about.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

There are three things I've had strong enough gripes about to change.

1. Foot pegs - the space for the pilot's feet are severely cramped by the passenger foot peg bracket. I don't have particular large feet (EU ~42). If you adjust your foot position to your toes on the pegs in turns you'd likely notice your heel banging the brackets. I removed the passenger foot pegs and installed the old FJ-09 side-case stays so I can still use the side cases (currently, my bike has no passenger pegs).

2. pumpkin turn signals - they stick way the f out. I don't like the look, but more importantly I scratched my car a few of times trying to back the bike out of the garage. It was one of those things that annoyed me every single time I rode, twice (on the way out and the way in). I replaced the front signals with flush mount LEDs.

3. The windscreen -  I am 5'11". Maybe others find a middle ground, but my simple take is I need the screen to be large enough to have me in the air bubble or small enough for the helmet to be in clean air. I don't want some huge screen, so I tried smaller. First the MRA Sport Wind Screen. My helmet was still in the transition zone. So now I am using the Puig Racing Wind Screen. It is better. I still get some turbulence around my chin, which reminds me to sit with good upright posture :).

One last thing I've not changed - abrupt fueling  on/off-throttle, which I credit to the emissions implementation that cuts the gas when decelerating off throttle. That can be fixed with an ECU update ... which is tempting (and the only thing I really want from an ECU update).

From what I've read, if I tried upgraded suspension I'd be blown away! But for now, ignorance is bliss. I am happy with everything else.

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, wanderer said:

From what I've read, if I tried upgraded suspension I'd be blown away! But for now, ignorance is bliss.

I wont try to talk you into anything but will simply say that you owe it to yourself to at least try and ride a bike that has been upgraded and set up properly, - just to feel the difference. 

I made the discovery almost 30 years ago and was forever changed.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, wanderer said:

One last thing I've not changed - abrupt fueling  on/off-throttle, which I credit to the emissions implementation that cuts the gas when decelerating off throttle. That can be fixed with an ECU update ... which is tempting (and the only thing I really want from an ECU update).

1. No difference between the 19 and 20's

2 I have a stock 2019 and happy with it the way it came. I'm sure a suspension upgrade would improve the ride but it's never stopped me from wanting the go for a ride and push it through the turns. The stock seat is not the greatest but better than other bikes I have owned. The windscreen causes a loud roar at speed and can be bothersome and the placement of the ignition key makes it awkward to get at with gloves on. Despite this a twist of the wrist usually puts a big smile on my face.

3. It's hard to make a recommendation without seeing the 2021 in person however I don't think I could get past that split instrument cluster and the $2000 price increase has put it to a point where I would be looking at other bikes that I wouldn't have when I bought my Tracer. 

If you haven't sat on a Tracer yet you should try and do so. I believe your NC750 has a lower seat height and at 5' 8' you might find flat footing it on the Tracer  a challenge.  

I am 5'9" tall, 32" inseam, 140 lbs tops and the suspension is fine on my 2020 GT. I did adjust it along the way during the first 2500 miles as I got used to the bike. Pretty much dialed in now on it. Could it be better, yes if you have ever had the 'good' stuff on a motorcycle. But having said that it is pretty decent for my size right out of the box. I won't be upgrading it anytime soon.

I have the OEM touring screen which is ok this time of year for me in the low setting. The stock screen is kind of noisey but I don't really mind that too much used during warmer months. I have a smoke Puig racing screen I have yet to use. Will use that during dead of summer months. Seat forward slope was a slight discomfort early on but not so much now after 2500 miles on it. No issues with the foot peg locations don't have big feet at a size 9 boot.

My only complaint with the bike to date is the crappy OEM dunlop tires it came with. Just junk for a $13k price point motorcycle! Wobbly front end at 40 mph and I am certain with a quality front tire going back on that wobble will be gone as well. They have literally no reliable edge grip either. I have not noticed the so called jerky throttle as much as others maybe it is the elevation where  live or maybe the fuel I buy here is better. I did add the Full exhaust Akrapovic on it but kept the baffle installed. Can't remove the baffle anyway it was installed at the factory with interference of the set bolt hole so it'll never be removed unless I drill the bolt out. Then I'd have to flash the ecu or add a external fueling device. No fueling issues before or after header install.

Edited by roy826

LOVE my 2020 and my favorite bike already which I've ever owned. The OEM seat other than the forward slope is one of the more comfortable I've felt, the windscreen is also better than other bikes I've owned but have an MRA touring screen on the way. I find the on/off fueling to be just fine, the suspension overall to be quite good, the brakes to be very good, and the engine to be OH MY GOD amazing. :) Factory cruise and heated grips work perfectly, only wish the TFT display was a bit bigger. 

My thanks to all the members who provided their thoughtful replies to my questions.  This has been tremendously helpful in sorting out my next steps.  I may lose the "hot deal" on the 2019  but there are still other 19s around so the chance to get a lower cost 19 is good.  There are a bunch of 20s too, if i go that route.  The riding season is still +/-3mos away so no urgency (only lock-down induced fever, which sort of feels the same). I envy those of you who ride 4 seasons. 

I listed the Honda NC 750 for sale. (i love buying bikes- hate selling them) thought it best to get this going. With the first rider reviews on the 21 only weeks(?) away, I'm going to cool off and wait to see them.  It wont be same as riding a 21 of course.  

On other hand, I may wake up tomorrow and buy the 19!

Thanks again...I'll keep you posted.

Steve

• Thumbsup 1

I bought a 2020 in September and got a great deal on it.  Having read all the comments I knew it was a great bike but was surprised by the suspension.  It's not perfect but not that bad either.  I traded bikes in Sioux Falls SD in the middle of a road trip.  It was a bit scary putting all my stuff on the new bike and riding off particularly riding around in the city looking for gas.  However the Tracer GT was easy to balance - easier than the BMW F800GT I traded on it!  Low speed takeoff again was good and though I was watching out for stalling taking off it was easy to do.  I didn't notice any bad throttle jerkiness (nothing like my 2004 Yamaha FZ6).  I had 2000 miles on it before I got home.  Most of the early riding was done where the landscape is relatively flat and easy to ride but no corners to speak of.  After I got home started playing a bit, I was super nervous the first few times out and didn't care for the OEM tires.  I'm 5' 10" and weigh 175 wo gear.  The stock settings are pretty good for me although I did tweet them a bit.  Changed the OEM tires for a Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and a Road 5 rear (already had the Road 5 rear).  Tweeking the suspension plus the tires has given me great confidence and the bike does what I want it to with no issues.  Could it be better? Yes and I may get a ew rear shock after a while but it is not a burning need.  Now for the windscreen - it is horrible!  Sorry but it is bad, noise and buffeting particularly at interstate speeds.  I put a MRA touring windscreen on and it solved the buffeting problem but still had some wind noise so added a cheap Amazon X-Screen spoiler. It has done a great job of curing the noise.  I can now ride on the interstate without earplugs and not be deafened.  Maybe the best of any bike I've had.  On the way home did 500 miles one day and the next day stopped at 275 because was tired from heat and buffeting the day before.  Now the seat, everyone is different but the stock seat is not too bad.  My BMW had a comfort seat with an AirHawk cushion and was comfortable for long rides (but not perfect).  The Yamaha standard seat is almost as good as the Comfort BMW seat and much better than any standard seat I've had.

IMO for most riders who are in the suspension weight range the suspension is adequate but if you are a high performance rider who rides vey aggressively or does track days the suspension would be lacking.  I only ride on the streets and don't do track days and it is good enough for me - would I like a complete Ohlins setup, YES!  Know it would be better and I would enjoy it but have other items on my list of priorities at the moment.  

• Thumbsup 1