GPS, Garmin vs Tomtom

WastedMind3500

The Tomtom 550 has an upgraded processor and it's fast enough for me (not like a quality smart phone though). I got one for cheap recently even though I had researched and found that it has lots of problems in combination with iOS.

Tomtom are IMO dishonest in that they have kept selling this device for over 19 months while it does not work as advertised since iOS13. On android there are less issues. They have finally acknowledged this only a month ago in an update that still does not work. There are forums full of very angry owners, notably the TT support forum itself. The best we can do is use a workaround that brings the unit back to the basic functionality of a much older device (no smartphone integration). It also does not play nice with the Cardo Packtalk ; if you want audio from iphone and TT simultaneously it only works with a low quality HSP bluetooth connection for the TT (lo-fi distorted instructions). If you want Hi-fi A2DP Bluetooth you need to turn off your iphone connection.

I do some work in ICT and as you may have noticed I don't easily give up but I am quite confident after experimenting and hours of forum reading and interaction that there are currently no solutions for these problems and that TT gives the issues very low priority or are just incompetent.

That aside, I still prefer it over Garmin because it's primary function is showing me the way and, in Europe or in Belgium at least, TT is a lot better at doing that job. They are a Dutch company after all. Reading the above comments it seems like the reverse is true in the US.

My solution was to grab one very cheap from someone who bought a secondhand scooter with no need for the included GPS, now I don't mind so much what a terrible rip-off it is.

Not to be all negative but IMO it is pretty sad how hardware GPS devices are so much behind smartphone tech. Perhaps this is only true for motorcycle navigation as a niche? I haven't touched a car gps for many years, they are either integrated or I use my phone.

I think a young kickstart company that zoomed in on bringing motorcycle navigation to the next century would be a huge succes. Oh wait, there is something like this.. seems a little too basic for my use but I like the fresh approach!

header_logo_e470f6c6-cded-4ac1-9829-272f

Discover better journeys with Beeline, a better way of navigating on your...

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I picked up the Garmin DriveSmart 55 for just under CAD $200. A great upgrade for my old and trusted Nuvi 2557. That thing was/is indestructible, but the display was lacking. I can finally access the memory card without yanking the unit out of the cradle. Despite it's larger display, the DriveSmart 55 is also 30g lighter than the old unit. Ordered the GlareStomper hood for it. It worked well with the Nuvi. Unfortunately... along with the Hero8... it now has to go under the tree... unopened. 😒

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I picked up the Garmin DriveSmart 55 for just under CAD $200. 

I picked up the Drivesmart 55 earlier this year and LOVE it. 

Do yourself a favor and download the Garmin DRIVE app, it makes building a route very simple.  We took a 7 day trip this summer and I was able to link my phone via Bluetooth and build the route with my phone and Drive app for each day of the trip while standing in my garage as I was packing.  I built a different route for each day and saved them as Day 1, Day 2 etc., I'm not sure how many routes it will hold but at least a weeks worth that I have found so far.  One morning we changed plans and I simply built a new route in the hotel parking lot as we were getting geared up.  WAY TOO EASY. 

I don't currently have a Cardo or Sena headset but if you do, you can link them via Bluetooth and use voice commands to answer calls or text messages that pop up as alerts on the GPS screen as you ride. 

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, betoney said:

I picked up the Drivesmart 55 earlier this year and LOVE it....

I don't currently have a Cardo or Sena headset but if you do, you can link them via Bluetooth and use voice commands to answer calls or text messages that pop up as alerts on the GPS screen as you ride. 

Yeah... the 2557 was very rudimentary and I am looking forward to some features, and a better display. I do have the Cardo Packtalk... lots of fun ahead. It is frustrating not knowing who is calling. I would typically pickup if I know it's my wife... otherwise everybody buzz-off. I hardly ever make any calls when riding. Cardo lets me speed-dial one number... so that's my emergency contact.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Yeah... the 2557 was very rudimentary and I am looking forward to some features, and a better display. I do have the Cardo Packtalk... lots of fun ahead.

The best I can advise is to watch lots of youtube videos on different features and use it every time you ride, even if its a local ride that you are familiar with, just to learn all of the features. 

One thing a lot of users aren't aware of is, just like your previous Garmin, all of the fields or cells on the main map screen or trip data sidebar are customisable, if in doubt, press it and see what it does.  Most of them can be set up how you like, if you don't need the clock, change it to an altimeter or compass etc.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Novice here. I just received my new Zumo XT to replace my aging Nuvi 500. Been studying and watching YouTubes on how to work it. So far, I love it. You can plan routes in Google Maps and send these to Basecamp, then convert the tracks from GM to routes. From there send to your device. I haven't even tried to plan a route in Basecamp as I have been told that Google Maps is much easier.

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, jcarruth said:

You can plan routes in Google Maps and send these to Basecamp, then convert the tracks from GM to routes. From there send to your device.

That is WAAAY too much effort, that was a workout just reading all of the steps involved.  Just use the Garmin "Drive" app, you connect your phone to your GPS via bluetooth and create a route in real-time (as you type it on your phone, you can see it being created in the GPS), example: type Reno, NV>GO, Vernal, UT>add as next stop, Red Lodge, MT>add as last stop and then save, once you try it the first time, it is ridiculously simple. 

I can create a route for the day in no time and save it in the GPS for future use and before a road trip I create a separate route for each day and save them individually ie. Day1, Day 2, Day 3 etc.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

That is WAAAY too much effort, that was a workout just reading all of the steps involved.  Just use the Garmin "Drive" app, you connect your phone to your GPS via bluetooth and create a route in real-time (as you type it on your phone, you can see it being created in the GPS), example: type Reno, NV>GO, Vernal, UT>add as next stop, Red Lodge, MT>add as last stop and then save, once you try it the first time, it is ridiculously simple. 

I can create a route for the day in no time and save it in the GPS for future use and before a road trip I create a separate route for each day and save them individually ie. Day1, Day 2, Day 3 etc.

So, doing it that way in the app, is it easy to customise the actual route you want to take and then perhaps modify it later or even on the fly?

I'm traditionally a - work it out on the PC first then upload my specific route to the nav device to follow precisely.

Is that your experience with the app?

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

So, doing it that way in the app, is it easy to customise the actual route you want to take and then perhaps modify it later or even on the fly?

I'm traditionally a - work it out on the PC first then upload my specific route to the nav device to follow precisely.

Is that your experience with the app?

In a word, yes, you can do that.

If you are already on a route and want to add something you can go to the 'where to' screen and type something in, OR touch a specific point on the map, OR type a city in the Drive app and the GPS will present you with options like "set as new destination", or "set as next stop" or "set as last stop" or customize, allowing you for instance to place the new destination as the 3rd stop of the route.  This is all done without a PC or even getting off the bike. 

I too use Garmin Maps all of the time but it is only for a basic idea on getting a 'rough draft' for planning daily mileage and ETA, the actual 'building' of the route is done ONLY with my phone and the GPS unit itself, I have never used basecamp or converted and transfered files.  I had mentioned previously, this past summer 4 of us were on a 7 day trip and one of the days routing changed considerably from the one that I had saved in the GPS.  While in the hotel parking lot warming our bikes up and getting our gear on, I was able to quickly build a new route just standing next to my bike.  Type each destination into the app and then click a button the GPS screen and its done.

There is also a function in the GPS to re-order the stops, if you have a saved route you can edit the order, for instance move stop#3 down a slot and move stop#5 up 2 slots, you just press and drag them to re-order.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

That is how I have been planning my trips for years. I have reluctantly but effectively learned Basecamp... which, when done right will shape the ride exactly how you want it (shaping points), removing any on-the-fly decision-making from the GPS. You can skip over waypoints if needed. I will sometimes Import from GM, and finish off in Basecamp.

Excited to see what my new Garmin (DriveSmart 55) will do, and the Drive app. I find that without shaping and locking the route, the GPS would sometimes develop a mind of it's own, which drives me bonkers.

One feature that is sorely lacking in these gadgets is ability to easily load a GPX file to the GPS using BT or Wi-Fi... what gives?

Edited by piotrek

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, piotrek said:

I find that without shaping and locking the route, the GPS would sometimes develop a mind of it's own, which drives me bonkers.

This.

Which was the reason for the enquiry with @betoney.  I like to plan a route and have the confidence that the GPS will faithfully stick to it.  I've been sent up dirt roads and rough side tracks in the past when the GPS has decided  that that's what's best for me!!

I'm keen to try this Drive app and see what results I get.  The less steps required to get the desired result is the ultimate goal.  If the app does all this then it's Nirvana.

I used to use the Tom Tom 'MYDRIVE' app on my PC to plan my trips and then sync it with my Tom Tom device which worked very well - but alas, too many bluetooth issues (for me) between GPS, helmet comms and phone has driven me into the arms of Garmin.

If I can get a similar experience for planning routes on the Garmin as I did with the Tom Tom then I'll be a happy chappie as the bluetooth issues are a thing of the past (for me) with the Garmin.

Not a navigation difference but have noticed more compatible products with Garmin.  They have the power switch that interfaces with the Zumo XT (and other stuff) and the InReach mini which can be had as part of a handheld GPS map device - forget the model number of the combined unit.  For a few years let like Garmin had stagnated as the car GPS market was lost to cell phones.  They look to be working to find new products to expand with which is a good sign.  Haven't seen similar products from TomTom which is frustrating as they have good GPS products.  

• 4 weeks later...

As a long time proponent of cellphone/app crowd, I bit the bullet and purchased a garmin drivesmart 76.
Honestly I'm not sure how this is going to work out, if the screen is bright enough, if the functions I want exist, or even if I'll like the change.

I will say right off the bat, the larger screen will be welcomed along with the fear of smoking my cell phone while being in direct sunlight, screen on, and charging.  Time will tell I guess, going to run it in my car for the next couple of weeks since winter here, but I'm hoping for the best.

I do foresee mounting to be an issue early on but I that's just some brackets and metal work.

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Well... I suspected that the DriveSmart 55 display would reflect as soon as I unboxed the thing... but it's like a mirror out on the bike. Great resolution compared to my old unit, but visibility overall is a bit of a problem. Will have to source an anti-glare screen and see if things improve. Maybe I should tilt it downward a bit and see how it goes.

Anyone with a recommendation for a screen? There isn't anything right-sized for the unit that I could find.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
11 hours ago, KellyL said:

Hi all, I have a question about the map updates on the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S. I'm thinking about buying one as they're currently on sale in AU.

Are the map updates over Garmin Connect "lifetime" - i.e. won't expire - or are they subscription-based?

I've only used TomTom for automotive, but have had good experience with Garmins for cycling and running etc. Thanks 👍

The map updates are free and lifetime. 

• Thanks 1