What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

On 2/13/2021 at 10:20 PM, roadwarrior said:

I received a Shoei RF-SR for Christmas. I then spent part of my latest Federal COVID stimulus check on the transition shield.

I've never spent more than a $100 and change on a helmet before, so this is all new ground for me.

It will be a few more months before I can try it out, but initial impressions are favorable

helmet.jpg

I went out and bought the same helmet, wore it on my ride home from the dealer, it’s extremely comfortable, can’t wait to use it once nicer weather rolls around. I’m also contemplating the transition shields, look forward to hearing how well you like that

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/14/2021 at 3:20 AM, roadwarrior said:

I received a Shoei RF-SR for Christmas. I then spent part of my latest Federal COVID stimulus check on the transition shield.

I have just taken delivery of my new Shoei Ryd which I think is the same model as the RF-SR. Have yet to use it yet but the day I will is getting closer and closer. I tend to buy a new helmet every three years, have a main helmet and a spare and ditch the oldest one when it is six years old.  I would be interested in feedback on the transitions visor that Shoei make for the helmet I thought it might be a useful addition seeing that the model does not come with a drop down sun shield.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, HGP61 said:

I have just taken delivery of my new Shoei Ryd which I think is the same model as the RF-SR. Have yet to use it yet but the day I will is getting closer and closer. I tend to buy a new helmet every three years, have a main helmet and a spare and ditch the oldest one when it is six years old.  I would be interested in feedback on the transitions visor that Shoei make for the helmet I thought it might be a useful addition seeing that the model does not come with a drop down sun shield.

I'm a good month yet from motorbiking season here (the snowmobiling has been great). I'll be sure to report back when I can get out and try it.

I'm a huge Scorpion guy. Right now my main helmet is an EXO-T1200 in hi-viz, I forget what they call the design. I also have a pair of EXO-R410s I got cheap (Like $100 for the pair on clearance) that I switch between for night riding when I don't need the flip down sun visor. One in white with an orange stripe, one in blue with an orange stripe. Haven't touched the white one much but I have a good handful of miles on the blue.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

Recently switched from a RF-1200 to an AGV K6.  I love this thing, it's amazing how light it is.  Now the Shoei feels like stacking a couple bricks on my head.

agv-k6-nardo-grey-004.jpg

Which one would you say is quieter?
I own a Shoei and an HJC and really think that the Shoei deals better with the wind noise. 

-Skip

40 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Which one would you say is quieter?
I own a Shoei and an HJC and really think that the Shoei deals better with the wind noise. 

-Skip

I think it’s pretty close. I always wear earplugs, but it might be the Shoei by a nose. I prefer the center visor latch on the AGV, but I do miss the Transitions shield. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first ride with the Shoei Transitions shield this past weekend. Color me impressed (pun intended)!

I really like how it tints but doesn't discolor your vision. Things stay clear and sharp while eliminating the glare and eye strain from the sun. Very similar experience to polarized sunglasses which I also prefer.

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

AGV K3 SV

zlusxk_200041a4hy_002_1-1024x0_rdqr9w.jpg

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I'm currently using a Caberg Duke 2, it is okay, not the best helmet I have had but not in a situation to replace it, any suggestions i like modular lids, my dad has a neotec 2 and my father in law has a schuberth e1 both look good, just want to know what other people think

20 minutes ago, Kyronix said:

I'm currently using a Caberg Duke 2, it is okay, not the best helmet I have had but not in a situation to replace it, any suggestions i like modular lids, my dad has a neotec 2 and my father in law has a schuberth e1 both look good, just want to know what other people think

Scorpion AT950 is a helluva modular and served me well, but I'm back to full face as the modular are heavier and more noisy. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

19 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Scorpion AT950 is a helluva modular and served me well, but I'm back to full face as the modular are heavier and more noisy. :) 

Thanks for the recommendation I have already had one of these didn't fit my head properly, had pressure on my temples and then the next size up was too big, i can never win!

• Sad 1

Schubert C3.  I am on my second one of that model.  And very quiet (well enough for me!).

I have a weird shape, large head.  I tried about 35 helmets at a moto show before I found that one.  My head is not round, it's more like oval.  So to fit an oval into a round helmet, I had to take super large ones.  Like 3XL.  And the helmet would rock side to side quite bad since it was not flush with my cranium.  With the Schubert, an XL is enough, since it matches my head shape.  And it stays in place.  

Other point I like, the "fighter pilot" visor inside can be set in any position.  Some other models only offer "full on" or "full off".  With this I can block the sun that shines over my glasses.

Since I am in Canada, I get it shipped from Europe (Germany).  Even with currency exchange and shipping, it is still about 200$ cheaper than what I pay around here...

Edited by WastedMind3500

3 hours ago, Kyronix said:

Thanks for the recommendation I have already had one of these didn't fit my head properly, had pressure on my temples and then the next size up was too big, i can never win!

That's the thing with helmets, isn't it! What fits me perfectly may give you a total headache or bad protection. Or it may fit you fine, but create a howling noise where it doesn't with someone else wearing it.  It's all trial and error until you find the one that works for your own melon. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current