What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

On 2/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, Wallygator said:

Just bought an HJC RPHA 70 ST.  Have not had a chance to ride with it yet.

They seem like one of the best "bangs for your buck". Curious how it pans out.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, kmh0 said:

Have rode with it for about 1500 miles now. It's a good helmet. Is a little noisy when the top vent is open but I wear ear plugs so it's tolerable.  The mouth vent doesn't vent very much air so it fogs in the cool mornings. I just leave the shield cracked. Other than that it's been good so far. With the top vents it breathes well in the heat. Love the flip down dark inner shield. I would buy this helmet again

Edited by Wallygator

• Supporting Member

Earlier in this thread I asked about quick release helmet straps. I went ahead and purchased a RydeWear.com Helmet Quick Release buckle. It converts the double D rings, works well with gloves and is very solid for only $20.

Tip: know the width of your helmet strap if purchasing.

https://www.rydewear.com/collections/helmet-quick-release/products/motorcycle-dirtbike-metal-helmet-quick-release

• Thumbsup 1

Just got AGV's new top of the line, a white K6.

I'm lovin' it so far. Very light, excellent aerodynamics (MUCH quieter than most, and far less force yanking my head around than I've ever experienced), and the face shield has a very useful "open just a crack" position, a personal requirement that sadly is not universal.

I was also considering a Shoei RF1400, but could not find any anywhere to try on, and from what I understand the internal shape is different than past models I've tried, like the RF1200 or Qwest.

I apparently have a strange misshapen potato for a head, so it's a very difficult, random task to find a helmet that fits correctly. I tried on a K6 in a terrible color (invisible, blazing hot flat black... yukko) at a Cycle Gear, thought about it for a few weeks, then pulled the trigger on Revzilla when they ran a special bonus Zilla Cash promotion. They're the same company, so I don't feel bad about using CG to try on helmets.

For the last three or four years, the only street helmet I could find that worked was the Bell Qualifier. It's decent for a $100 helmet, but other than the perfect fit, it just wasn't a very good helmet in general. I have three of them because the visor mechanism wars out quickly, and the thing whips open when I turn my head on the interstate. After buying the first in neon yellow, several months later I ordered two more when they went on deep clearance because it was actually cheaper than buying new face shields and base plates.

So anyway, if the K6 fits, I can heartily recommend it.

Since everyone asks, yes, I tried to find an Arai that fits. No go; I had an experienced Arai fitter in a shop with lots of inventory near tears with desperation as his surefire sale evaporated. Nothing in the Arai lineup comes close to fitting me.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 5/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, Wallygator said:

Have rode with it for about 1500 miles now. It's a good helmet. Is a little noisy when the top vent is open but I wear ear plugs so it's tolerable.  The mouth vent doesn't vent very much air so it fogs in the cool mornings. I just leave the shield cracked. Other than that it's been good so far. With the top vents it breathes well in the heat. Love the flip down dark inner shield. I would buy this helmet again

My RPHA 70 ST came with a pinlock insert in the box to eliminate fogging, and it's advertised as included with purchase. If yours didn't, send an email to whoever you ordered from to send you one.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, kmh0 said:

I've had mine for a little over a year now, and would rate it 8.5/10. My girlfriend ordered the Sedici Strada II helmet last month and it's 50% cheaper than the RPHA and has all of the same features -even the same weight- and she loves it. I'd say the Strada II is best bang for buck, and honestly made me feel some buyer's remorse :'(

Edited by jthayer09
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Going to retire my Shoei Hornet X2 in September, after what will be 5 years and about 70k miles of awesomeness. Starting the agonizing debate over the new lid now. 

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a Shoei RF-SR, HJC RPHA 70 ST, HJC F70, AGV K6, or Scorpion EXO R1 Air 😂

Shoei RF1200.

I've thought of trying a modular helmet since I wear glasses, but they all seem like attaching a music system is a real PITA unless you go with one of the purpose-built ones.

When I retire the RF1200 I'll probably go with an RF1400.

• Premium Member

Shoei Neotech with Sena 50s.  I found it no more difficult to install the Sena in my modular than my daughter's full face helmet.

I wear transitions glasses, and didn't like the "optics" of the drop down visor, so I trimmed off a portion of it, covered it with electrical tape and use it like a sun visor, like in a car.

It also has a Pin-loc visor, which helps with not fogging.

It's probably due for replacement, and I'll likely get a Neotech II.