Radiator Guards…

18 hours ago, petshark said:

I have the OEM guard. I have been considering to remove it as my bike always runs hotter than the BMWs and Ducati’s around me. I’m the only one with the fan on when we stop. The cover restricts airflow according to my ECU tuner. Something to consider. 

3 hours ago, pokey074 said:

Evotech ordered. ;D

If you on stop it doesn’t matter if you have radiator guard or not. 

4 hours ago, Rick123 said:

If you on stop it doesn’t matter if you have radiator guard or not. 

If the guard were to restrict airflow it would mean the engine is already hotter when you stop which in turn causes the fan to come on immediately.

• Thumbsup 1

I put one on a while back.  Don't recall which one.  Just finished a 5,000 mile trip to and around Wyoming.  Rode a few sketchy places like a 5 mile stretch of road construction in Colorado that was dirt with big gravel and small rocks around.  Another interesting places was the stretch of new chip tar which still had loose gravel on it - and it rained!  Have not inspected since I got back as I left 3 days later for the beach with the Mrs.  Left the Tracer GT parked next to my Bolt in the garage and the Bolt is plugged in so may have no Bolt, no bike and no house when I return!  That's a side reference to the recent Bolt fires - mine is actually not in the at risk group.

Rode 150 miles thru Kansas with 105F temperature - air temperature!  Bike had no problems and the coolant temperature didn't get that high.  When in Vernal Utah took a day trip to Jones Hole Hatchery.  The road there was interesting and in desert terrain and lots of slippery tar snakes.  Speeds were low and at one point climbed a fair amount at speed of 25 to 30 MPH.  Temperature was 98 to 100F.  Coolant got up to a little over 200 but generally stayed around 190 to 196F.  I was concerned about the ride out of the canyon but was there 2 to 3 hours and the bike cooled off and the ride out was steep and 25 to 35 mph but bike did great.  Ive ridden in all kinds of conditions and have had no cooling issues with the radiator guard.

The is the first radiator guard I've installed and have lots of trouble free miles without one.  If I was just doing local rides would probably not put one on but for long trips I think it's good protection.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:57 PM, whisperquiet said:

I also have this guard installed... fits is perfect, as previously stated.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 7/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, duhs10 said:

Boy if that isn't a rip off of the Evotech I don't know what is, lol

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, CRFan250 said:

Boy if that isn't a rip off of the Evotech I don't know what is, lol

Brand: YUANQIAN Of course the Chinese copy everything. 

• Haha 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

On my recent trip I encountered fresh chip tar with loose gravel and a stretch of "interesting" road construction.  After reading of others experiences with oil pans I was very glad to have a radiator guard and a sump guard.

Fresh ChipTar copy.jpg

Road Const.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, duhs10 said:

Yup just got mine in, very nice product for the money.....plan to install once my Garmin GPS wiring kit gets in. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my guard mounted up yesterday, fits like it came with the bike. I found taking all the plastic off the bike to be very easy and straight forward, "also wired up my Garmin GPS to battery", surprised at the number here who believe it's a pain in the ass.

Found yesterday there's two stone hits on my headers that literally cracked the headers open.

Holy shit, this is nuts!  And you are staying on asphalt most all the time, aren't you? That is some scary stuff.

I have the Givi rad guard and R&G Fenda Extenda, and have been resisting a skid plate. But nowadays I am thinking a SW-Motech skid plate is probably indicated. :(