Death Valley-Dash Temperature

According to the owner manual, Yamaha states the temp gauge will not go beyond 115F if I recall correctly. Well guys, I hit 122 when filling up on gas and that’s with the engine heat affecting the temperature sensor. However I also hit 120F WHILE riding 65 MPH. That’s a more accurate reading the ambient temperature.

04BA547B-486F-4BD1-A2B1-A25CB0B628BC.thumb.jpeg.6288848ff82e49159fb4e7cf19a17775.jpegC56809F3-8EBE-4C4A-B7E2-1A16EEC59FBD.thumb.jpeg.f18334b8b8da65320ce793475df92574.jpeg

Not sure why there’s a line on the dash, my iPhone was acting up while taking the picture and overheating sometimes. According to my dash the average temperature in Death Valley was around 117F when my brother and I went through.

BTW, it’s amazing view riding through Death Valley! Would definitely recommend it. Just pick a right time when it’s not too hot! 

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

According to the owner manual, Yamaha states the temp gauge will not go beyond 115F if I recall correctly. Well guys, I hit 122 when filling up on gas and that’s with the engine heat affecting the temperature sensor. However I also hit 120F WHILE riding 65 MPH. That’s a more accurate reading the ambient temperature.

Not sure why there’s a line on the dash, my iPhone was acting up while taking the picture and overheating sometimes. According to my dash the average temperature in Death Valley was around 117F when my brother and I went through.

BTW, it’s amazing view riding through Death Valley! Would definitely recommend it. Just pick a right time when it’s not too hot! 

Glad you made it through there safely, the heat makes it miserable.  I have seen my temp sensor reach 112F and my GPS shut down until I let the bike sit in the shade for a bit.

I want to ride through there some day but definitely not during summer.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Death Valley in the summer? Hard pass. 😨

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

Western Chicago burbs?

Didn't know they included DV...

Those of us who intelligently live within a few miles of Lake Michigan enjoy a much more moderate climate, and rarely venture west of Schaumburg.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Death Valley in the summer? Hard pass. 😨

Definitely didn’t expect that heat. 

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Western Chicago burbs?

Didn't know they included DV...

Those of us who intelligently live within a few miles of Lake Michigan enjoy a much more moderate climate, and rarely venture west of Schaumburg.

Well I do live in IL, just on a west coast trip right now. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

Definitely didn’t expect that heat. 

Really?

Death Valley CA Average Temperatures by Month - Current Results

Screenshot (23).png

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Wow, great post. I'll tell you I've done several backpacking trips in Death Valley. One trip with my boys was in Spring. We went overnight into a canyon. The temperature was maybe 105. It was the most frightening experience of my backpacking life. I've walked solo through Grizzly country and sea kayaked solo for 300 miles up British Columbia. Nothing compares to Death Valley heat. It's a furnace, literally. No shade, heat reflecting off everything. We had plenty of water, and were fine, but no matter how much water you have, it feels deadly. 

There are many good reasons I call the PNW home. 

• Thumbsup 3

5 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Wow, great post. I'll tell you I've done several backpacking trips in Death Valley. One trip with my boys was in Spring. We went overnight into a canyon. The temperature was maybe 105. It was the most frightening experience of my backpacking life. I've walked solo through Grizzly country and sea kayaked solo for 300 miles up British Columbia. Nothing compares to Death Valley heat. It's a furnace, literally. No shade, heat reflecting off everything. We had plenty of water, and were fine, but no matter how much water you have, it feels deadly. 

There are many good reasons I call the PNW home. 

As a native Vancouver Island boy, I gotta say: As a youth, I never really appreciated how temperature could kill.  I mean, a hot summer day would be like 26C/80F, a freezing cold winter day -15C/5F.  Maybe exceptional days at +/-5C.  I travelled around a fair bit, but always at times of the year where the weather wasn't crazy.  

Then I moved to Calgary.  First winter there, -40C/F (before windchill, and with 50kph wind) I was absolutely poleaxed.  The sudden realization that not only can this weather kill you, but it can do it fast if you're not prepared.  I mean, if I was driving somewhere in the winter back home, I often wouldn't even bring a jacket as I'd only be outside briefly.  If my car broke down, sure, I'd be cold, but I'd be ok.  Here?  There's a very real chance of that killing you. 

Same applies at really high temps, when you've got that knowledge that if you're stranded, it's a very serious problem.  Crazy stuff.  

PNW for the win.  It's so much nicer when the world isn't trying to kill you (except maybe occassionally via drowning).

• Thumbsup 3

I went through DV in August a couple years ago. The trip prompted me to get my inReach satcom (just before the trip), since the thought of getting stuck somewhere somehow was rather scary. I think we experienced 115F.

I imagine simple things like getting stuck under a bike on that burning asphalt and shudder. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I've ridden in temps like that a couple of times. The first time was in 1990 riding across the Mojave Desert in 110-112F heat on my Katana 600. I was young and dumb, and stripped off my jean jacket and just rode in a t-shirt. I was getting dehydrated and stopped in every single town to drink a bunch of Gatorade. Not smart. 

In June 2005 during the Cal24 Rally I went through Death Valley in the late afternoon and it was about 115F. This time I was wearing my Aerostich Roadcrafter classic and kept it on. I dumped water down my shirt and opened the vents. The evaporative cooling was like air conditioning, though in that heat it didn't last long. 🔥 

• Thumbsup 1